PDA

View Full Version : Primer prices going back up?

DerekP Houston
08-09-2017, 04:24 PM
Took a trip to cabelas this week 'cause I was bored and it's the first time I've been close enough for driving distance. The prices had my jaw drop. I remember stocking up on the S&B primers last year @20 a brick and they were marked 37.99 in store! Started pricing around via the net today and it appears they are back on the upswing with spp being snapped up for any price under 30 a brick. Maybe that's just my local store? Curious what yall are seeing in your areas.

They show as 27.99 on their own website, I wonder why the discrepancy and if they will price match.

sawinredneck
08-09-2017, 04:41 PM
They will price match their website, I've had to do it numerous times!

mold maker
08-09-2017, 04:46 PM
Watch to see who is raising prices because of the Korean unrest. Those rising prices now are disrespecting their customers and seeking extreme profits.

DerekP Houston
08-09-2017, 04:46 PM
They will price match their website, I've had to do it numerous times!
Oh good to know thanks! Figured I could get a box of primers or something useful with my gift card...but 25 bucks didn't go nearly as far in person as I thought it would!

RogerDat
08-09-2017, 05:50 PM
Not seeing an increase around here for CCI which is what I buy, at least so far. Lot of folks that stocked up on sale, or who haven't bought any for a while because they had enough on hand might be seeing a couple dollar increase per 1k over the last couple of years. I know I was paying about $27 - $32 and now I see Cabala's with $34.99 with plenty of stores showing all sizes in stock.

The extra couple of dollars doesn't concern me as much as the last bit, having them in stock. I'm not buying at "any" price, just not going to sweat a small price increase while I hope for prices to drop or watch for a sale to stock up.

dbosman
08-09-2017, 05:57 PM
It may be a usual up pricing at Cabela's in preparation for another sale. Kind of a steep change, but they've done similar things before.

rancher1913
08-09-2017, 06:41 PM
they are matching bass pro's high prices now, may have to find a new favorite lgs

RogerDat
08-09-2017, 06:43 PM
they are matching bass pro's high prices now, may have to find a new favorite lgs When searching online I don't even go to the Bass Pro site. If I wanted to waste money on over priced stuff I would take dear wife to the antique outlet and hand her a wad of bills. More efficient and at least one of us would be happy with the purchases. Which is one more than when I bought powder at Bass Pro the one and only time. While there looked at the other prices and thought who hates their customers that much and still runs a store?

DerekP Houston
08-09-2017, 07:46 PM
The only thing that makes bass pro tolerable for me is my son really enjoys the big fish tank ;). I do my window shopping and order online usually. I don't mind paying a slight markup for brick and mortar stores but I draw the line at 200%.

Finster101
08-09-2017, 08:26 PM
The last time I was at Bass Pro I wanted to see a youth model shotgun so my wife could try the fit. Well after I got one of the five salesmen to break away from their joking around and got the one I pointed to it was too small. I had to get his attention again just to hand it back to him and he did not hear me ask for a different one as he was still tuned in to his buddies. I told him to forget it, his conversation was more important and that I didn't want to bother him. They suck.

rancher1913
08-09-2017, 10:24 PM
guess I forgot the blue font. my crack was about cabelas going up to bass pro prices since they got bought out by bass pro

rockrat
08-09-2017, 11:23 PM
Went by Cabelas in the Denver area last week, got the last 2k large rifle they had, but they had plenty of other s&b stuff @ $19.99/k

jsizemore
08-09-2017, 11:37 PM
At the gun shows for the past year I've paid $120-125/5000 CCI or Winchester's. Last weekend they were $135.

AnotherNew1
08-09-2017, 11:45 PM
Last gun show 1 month ago 125/5000 also

Bzcraig
08-09-2017, 11:55 PM
Might be a factor that Bass Pro bought Cabela's last year?

dragon813gt
08-10-2017, 03:35 AM
S&B are on sale for $20 a brick at home. Had a buddy call me from the Cabelas in DE on Monday about them.

lightman
08-10-2017, 09:39 AM
I usually buy in bulk from places like Powder Valley. It looks like they went up $1/1000 since last summer. Thats $28/1000 for standard CCI, my favorite.

DerekP Houston
08-10-2017, 10:10 AM
ok thanks gents, looks like the ft worth one is just ridiculously overpriced and trying to compete with bass pro for whom can rip off the unsuspecting consumer the most. I generally just bulk order off the net so I was just shocked the prices were that much of a difference in store. If I'm going to pay ~30 per brick I'll get a higher quality brand like cci or winchester and leave the S&B on the shelf.

RogerDat
08-10-2017, 10:44 AM
I bought some S&B to try out but haven't done so yet. Have a decent supply of CCI but have used up a couple thousand mostly SR and SP so in keeping with my policy of use 1 and buy 2 unless I already have enough.... Looks like I'm going to be buying a few soon. Prices online were less but not with Hazmat fee, unless ordering enough to dilute that extra fee. It might be worth reaching out to see if a couple of local folks wanted to pool an order. Graf & Sons on primers shows $20 hazmat and flat shipping of $7.95 so on a full order that works out fairly well. 25# of powder and 10k primers it only adds about 80 cents per pound and per 1000 primers.

Thing is if I placed that order I would probably wake up with the powder dumped on me and a lit fuse stuck someplace. Dear wife is "understanding" but does have limits and a $900 order is well past it.

lightman
08-10-2017, 11:27 AM
Roger, thats exactly the way I do it. I'll get a buddy or two together and order as much as they will ship in one box. (max-50#) This adds about 50 cents to each pound of powder or 1000 primers. The Wife tolerates that $900 order better when the buddies start coming by and leaving 20 and 100 dollar bills on the table! Happy Wife, ya know?

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-10-2017, 12:37 PM
Might be a factor that Bass Pro bought Cabela's last year?
a recent letter that I received from Cabela's Club Visa called it a merger, and said nothing would change with Cabela's club point system.

Primer prices going back up?
Took a trip to cabelas this week 'cause I was bored and it's the first time I've been close enough for driving distance. The prices had my jaw drop. I remember stocking up on the S&B primers last year @20 a brick and they were marked 37.99 in store! Started pricing around via the net today and it appears they are back on the upswing with spp being snapped up for any price under 30 a brick. Maybe that's just my local store? Curious what yall are seeing in your areas.

They show as 27.99 on their own website, I wonder why the discrepancy and if they will price match.
I'm already stocked up (due to the Press convincing me that Hillary would be the next President), and am ready for price spikes.

ok thanks gents, looks like the ft worth one is just ridiculously overpriced and trying to compete with bass pro for whom can rip off the unsuspecting consumer the most. I generally just bulk order off the net so I was just shocked the prices were that much of a difference in store. If I'm going to pay ~30 per brick I'll get a higher quality brand like cci or winchester and leave the S&B on the shelf.
Now that Cabela's and Bass Pro are one in the same, without the name changes (yet?), I suspect to see price equalization on price sensitive items, like Primers and Powders.

Mytmousemalibu
08-10-2017, 12:45 PM
I just wish Federal would crank out some more standard small pistol primers, heck even the Gold Medal Match, id still buy them! The shelves always seem to have large Federals but small pistol and rifle are nonexistent. Occasionally I find the magnums but I need the standards.