PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 1895 Tang Site Question

38-72
08-09-2017, 12:28 AM
Has anyone seen or installed a "soule" type tang sight on a Winchester 1895. Would the rearward travel of the bolt (when the action is opened) hit the sight? Can someone post a photo showing a side view of the action with the bolt fully extended to the rear of the gun.

Wayne Smith
08-09-2017, 07:53 AM
Yes, it would. That's why Lyman designed the 'climbin Lyman' - Model 21?. You can get a copy of it from BECO.

bob208
08-09-2017, 09:59 AM
I have never seen a tang sight on a 95. have seen the climbing lyman on ore then one which I think is a better sight anyway.

Reverend Al
08-09-2017, 10:59 AM
Still the most practical aperture sight for a '95 IMHO. My '95 in .303 British came with an original Lyman sight already installed.

http://i.imgur.com/gQ6mHad.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EvziKyy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RjKsX9i.jpg

Gray Fox
08-09-2017, 12:30 PM
I have one of the BECO sights on my '87 vintage Browning '95s in .30-06 and it serves me well shooting without the small aperture. The Browning required that I have my 'smith use the supplied fine tap to change the sight mounting hole to the correct pitch and that was no problem. I have been told the the mounting screw works as expected on an original rifle . Once you have locked sight into place with the lever it would take a lot of field abuse to move it which is what we want. the only negative point I have is that the piece that is used to mark the vertical adjustment is a bit cheesy, but it does the job. This is a coupled with the feeling that it looks just like the ones in books or magazines that I saw before I found this safe queen rifle and completes the concept
. GF

Dan Cash
08-09-2017, 12:45 PM
I am not sure if a tang sight such as a MVA will be hit by the bolt but such sights are not uncommon among black powder cartridge match shooters. If the sight does interfere with the bolt, simply lay the sight back before oopening the rifle.

As a Soule type sight is not suitable for hunting, if that is your goal, get the Lyman 21 replica from Peabody. I have one on an original 95, it works splendidly and installation is simple. It is my primary hunting rifle.

Naphtali
08-09-2017, 02:13 PM
Several years ago, I was informed that [someone???] manufactured a spring-loaded tang sight that was usable on Winchester 1895s. Although struck and partially tipped by breech bolt striking it during rearward travel, its spring-base-stem configuration caused the stem to return to shooting position upon breech bolt's forward motion no longer impinging stem's upright position.

When I was unable to find disassembly instructions for the 1895, I abandoned further interest. I have since found these instructions, but too much water has passed under the bridge.

Hope this helps.

Eldon
08-09-2017, 02:27 PM
The Climbing Lyman repro is the way to go !

JFE
08-09-2017, 02:49 PM
Has anyone ever made a bolt mounted peep sight for the Win 1895?

The bolt has a large flat surface and sits quite low relative to the front sight. To me it looks like a good spot to place an adjustable peep.

OlDeuce
08-09-2017, 04:23 PM
Has anyone seen or installed a "soule" type tang sight on a Winchester 1895. Would the rearward travel of the bolt (when the action is opened) hit the sight? Can someone post a photo showing a side view of the action with the bolt fully extended to the rear of the gun.

iF YOU Have a Soule type sight check it out !!! I put a "soule" type tang sight on a Very Early Winchester 1894 and the bolt stopped right at the mast !
Right or wrong it worked out perfect!!!! I'll Post a photo if ya need to see it !!!!!

The mounting post is the key I used a base from a Sharps and with very little work to the front mounting hole ! it worked out great with no modification to the upper tang.!!!! did the same on my 45-60 first!!
Ol Deuce

Nueces
08-09-2017, 04:47 PM
Has anyone ever made a bolt mounted peep sight for the Win 1895?

The bolt has a large flat surface and sits quite low relative to the front sight. To me it looks like a good spot to place an adjustable peep.

The "Little Giant" sight was made in bolt mount form for the old 95s. A more recent, but still 'vintage' sight, would be the factory supplied receiver sights shipped with the Stoeger era Sako bolt guns.

ANick57
08-09-2017, 09:16 PM
Here's a '23 era .35 WCF w/ the #38 Lyman, a couple of shots.201559201560201561

Reverend Al
08-10-2017, 03:02 AM
My other '95 Winchester is also in .35 WCF. What have you been shooting in yours? I haven't shot mine ... it's another one of my "project guns" that I haven't quite got to yet.

Here's a '23 era .35 WCF w/ the #38 Lyman, a couple of shots.201559201560201561

Bent Ramrod
08-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Marble's made a "Flexible" tang sight for the 86, 95 and other rifles with a long bolt throw. The staff would push down out of the way when the bolt contacted it, and spring back vertical when the bolt moved forward.

It wasn't a target sight by any means; just their version of the Lyman No. 1 type with the base that might need to be shimmed for vertical and the screw thimble and coarse adjustments for elevation.

I would think that the first thing the bolt would hit on a Soule sight would be that delicate elevation screw in front of the ladder. Not good, even if you could make it spring back vertical in some way.

38-72
08-18-2017, 12:09 AM
Thanks to everyone for the replies. While the Lyman is a great sight, it is not what I am looking for. I want a target quality tang mounted sight rather than a hunting sight.

smokeywolf
08-18-2017, 01:01 AM
I kind of favor the Lyman 41 receiver sight on the model '95.