PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for 30 Carbine seating die please

ShooterAZ
08-08-2017, 08:42 PM
I have a Redding die set for 30 Carbine, have been using it for many years with no issues. My problem is this: I recently bought the Lyman 311359 mold which casts a very pointed boolit. Upon seating, the nose deforms a little differently each time I seat a boolit, thus giving me inconsistent seating depths.

I don't really want to permanently modify the stem, as it works great for my RCBS 30-115RN and the Lee C309-120R boolits. I am leary of using epoxy on the seating stem for fear of gluing it inside the die. I'm hoping someone has a brilliant solution here. I thought of hot melt glue, but have never used it before. Any other thoughts? I tried calling Redding to see about getting a different stem, but they are closed for inventory until August 14. I really like the Lyman mold, it casts a perfect boolit every time. It's a keeper.

Thanks in advance....Shooter.

Outpost75
08-08-2017, 09:47 PM
Just order an extra seating stem for a pointed bullet and change it.

ShooterAZ
08-08-2017, 09:55 PM
Yup, that's the best solution. Hopefully they have one. I'll wait until they're done with inventory and see if I can get one...Thanks.

jimb16
08-08-2017, 10:09 PM
I personally have a collection for more than 30 nose punches just for that reason. It doesn't hurt to have a good selection. That way, whenever you get a new mold, you have a choice for best fit.