PDA

View Full Version : 10 gauge and 12 gauge 20" barrels...ffg or fg?

Stopsign32v
08-08-2017, 03:40 PM
It's just for fun at the range and plinking. I like a lot of fire and smoke so I was thinking fg with buckshot but I would like other opinions. Can you even use fg in a 12 gauge shot shell with success? Does the shorter barrels make a difference in what choice powder?

8Bore
08-09-2017, 03:55 PM
Assuming your weapon is in safe working order you should be fine with either granulation in either gauge. I tend to use 2f in anything over 45 caliber up to about 12ga. Usually I use 1f in 10ga and larger. But really that's just because I have both at the moment. I would not hesitate to use 2f in the 10 or 1f in the 12 and have done so in the past and my guns don't seem to care which one. You may find that 2f works best in a short barrel because it burns a bit faster and hotter so you may end up with less unburned pwdr blowing out the muzzle.
I do have an 8 gauge that I am currently acquiring loading components for and I think I will strictly use 1f in that monster just because the cases are so large. A 10 ga shell literally fits inside the 8 ga shells.
But if your weapon is in good safe working condition black powder is pretty forgiving, even when shooting antique guns with Damascus barrels...gasp!
How familiar are you with black powder vs smokeless powder and reloading in general?

skeettx
08-09-2017, 06:05 PM
OK, here goes
Black powder takes more than 20 inches to burn completely, so you will get lots of fire and smoke
Either F or FF will be just fine.
What guns will you be using with the short barrels?
Why buckshot? If close shooting, may bounce back!!
Thanks

Stopsign32v
08-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Thanks

A new Cimarron side by side 12ga and a new'ish Pardner 10ga single shot cut down to 20" and made into a cheap "cowboy shotgun".

And I'd like to shoot some type of vintage defensive round out of them. I'll just be punching holes, no steel.

flint45
08-27-2017, 01:23 PM
Sounds like fun to me I dont buy 1f anymore just use 2f instead works better for my use.Blast away!

Lumpy grits
08-27-2017, 04:58 PM
OK, here goes
Black powder takes more than 20 inches to burn completely, so you will get lots of fire and smoke
Either F or FF will be just fine.
Thanks

Really-Don't see many 20" barreled BP handguns.:popcorn:

Go with either-1F will have a bit less recoil.
LG