PDA

View Full Version : I gave Jesus a good dog today

Ithaca Gunner
08-08-2017, 12:04 PM
Our old Border Collie went quickly and peacefully overnight to the arms of our Savior. Psalms 36-6

Her leaving is a tough loss, the best of the bunch. We have other dogs, but Lady was the best. We rescued her a bit over 13 years ago and she never stopped showing her appreciation and loyalty.

Lady always walked respectfully and loyally with me tending the graves of my Brothers in arms after they passed. We used to gather a gang from WWI to Vietnam and do the flags each May and November. Those guys have passed and it got a little lonely doing it by myself, then Lady was there to walk along the cemeteries either putting them on in May, or removing them in November. She was always with me when we delivered the flags to those who wanted them that decorated the graves of loved ones, she was always welcome. There was something about Lady that was special, as if she were more human than I, knowing where she was and always on her best behavior in the cemeteries.

She had a good life. Last night I knew it was our last together in this life. She, like a few before her just wanted to be alone in the living room instead of going up stairs to the bedroom and sleeping beside my bed. I prayed the Lord to take her quickly and without pain. She went to meet Jesus early this morning and received burial in our dog cemetery alongside my shop under the oak tree where she liked to lay. Rest in peace my friend, I'll be along to be with you.

toallmy
08-08-2017, 12:40 PM
Gob bless your little pardner ,

dverna
08-08-2017, 01:19 PM
I believe Mark Twain said, "If dogs are not allowed in heaven, I do not want to go there."

375supermag
08-08-2017, 01:20 PM
So sorry for your loss...

We lost our second black Lab, Wesson, a little over two years ago. His littermate, smith, left us about 3 years before that. we still miss them both. Wesson had the distinction of being THE BEST DOG EVER, so we were truly blessed to have had him.

To fill the void they left, we were adopted by another pair of Labradors. A yellow and a black...both males(littermates). Pretty good dogs in their own right. A little over two years old now.

I really don't know how people keep house without at least one dog to keep things under control.

xs11jack
08-08-2017, 07:40 PM
I am sorry for your loss, he is there waiting to see you again, forever.
Ole Jack

buckwheatpaul
08-08-2017, 08:28 PM
Ithaca Gunner, I am so sorry about you losing Lady. I know that she is in good hands now and will be back with you in the future. May God heal your heart and bring you comfort. I have often heard it said: dog = GOD......Paul

square butte
08-08-2017, 08:37 PM
So very sorry for your loss - As others have said, She'll be waiting for you when you get there. That will be a joyful occasion

smokepolehall
08-08-2017, 08:39 PM
I am sad your grand furbaby has crossed the Rainbow Bridge. I know you will miss her, specially when you have bond. May you be Blessed for helping those Furbabys, they only know they love us n give all they have. Like you i have had many through my life, i have 4 now all rescues. They are all so beautiful

WILCO
08-08-2017, 11:31 PM
Sorry to read of this. Good dogs are hard to part with. Hang tough. Easier said than done, I know.

MaryB
08-08-2017, 11:39 PM
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

bensonwe
08-09-2017, 05:54 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss. Lady sounded like a special dog.

Lloyd Smale
08-09-2017, 07:02 AM
I feel for you. Last year about this time we lost elmer. the best dog that ever lived in my opinion. We have a new pup and I love him dearly but still tear up when I think of old elmer. IF there is a heaven he will be waiting for me there. Because it couldn't be considered heaven if he isn't.

bedbugbilly
08-09-2017, 07:39 AM
Ithaca - so sorry for your loss. Every one is special and while they are with us for what seems like such a short time, their unconditional love is a lesson to all of us. I have no doubt that Lady will be there waiting for you and until then, she'll still be with you and watching over you. May God bless her and keep her and watch over you as you go through this difficult time.

PbHurler
08-09-2017, 07:42 AM
My condolences on the loss of your family member.

Dogs are the best

Smoke4320
08-09-2017, 07:49 AM
This may sound strange or even cruel but many times I have felt more loss from a dog passing than a friend..
Can only think it is because I feel the blind loyalty and true love coming from the dog ..
many have passed from me and many are missed
take care my friend and may another companion find its way to you

GhostHawk
08-09-2017, 08:09 AM
Apparently I have been living under a rock for the last 40 years.

I had never read that bit about the Rainbow bridge before.
I am not ashamed to admit that I cried HARD for 5 minutes.

I have a Black Lab and a Parakeet waiting for me.

I feel all washed out, and yet the promise is balm to my aching heart.
It is true the pain does not ever go away, not completely. It does subside to livable levels.

Miss you Blue!

Thank you Mary

w5pv
08-09-2017, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the post,may she RIP in dog heaven.

mold maker
08-09-2017, 08:25 AM
While I join you in your sorrow for the loss, I can't help but think of all the would be best friends, that are also on the bridge waiting for a kind pat on the head and a stroke to their back. So many best friends that never found that special person to love. Many of them mistreated and never knowing kindness, but having a full measure of love to give.

DCP
08-09-2017, 08:45 AM
For the Dog Lovers

William Yanda
08-09-2017, 09:11 AM
I share your loss. Lady was VERY special. We are looking forward to the time when Annie, mywife's ****zu crosses that rainbow bridge. She is 13, blind and deaf, but still getting around on her own. When she comes back to the door after doing her business, she still bounds like she did when she was young.

HABCAN
08-09-2017, 10:53 AM
Condolences. What more can be said?? We all know...........

Ithaca Gunner
08-09-2017, 11:31 AM
I was pretty much born into dogs, and there have been many in my life, each one was a sad parting also. Each had a personality all their own, some bull-headed, some just lived to please, some seemed to live to do a certain task, like one of our other dogs, Pumpkin, a Golden Retriever who seems to live to play ball. Lady was one of the special ones though, so grateful to be rescued and given a good home that she stuck by our sides no matter what distraction was around unless told to preform a task. She was like Lloyd's Elmer, that rare special dog that could just do no wrong, was a constant companion, always by our side.

She slowed down to my speed later in life and we began to dred the day we would have to say, "Good-bye...for now." In the end, I'm very grateful to the Lord for taking her so quickly.

Here she is following me around one of the cemeteries last November removing the flags until Memorial Day when we would redecorate them.

Hickok
08-09-2017, 11:33 AM
So sorry for your loss. A dear friend is hard to loose.

Geezer in NH
08-09-2017, 03:21 PM
I am sorry for your loss. May you meet her again in a better place.

Handloader109
08-09-2017, 03:34 PM
Harder to do each time we lose one. Have had a lot of dogs over the years. Rescue terrier right after we got married, spent more on that guy than all of the others with his bad back. A bunch of dachshunds, several we raised from pups to a couple of rescue. Last rescue lasted 13yrs plus a while before we got her. Finally put her down last year. Got my wife's rat terrier who is about 14 and slowly going down hill. Hope he passes peacefully, but his going will hurt my wife a lot. Was mine, but bites me whenever she says boo. So he's really Her Dog. Got three of his pups that just turned 10, so we won't be without a dog. That is what is hard. No dog. Can't replace, but can get another one.

Ithaca Gunner
08-10-2017, 12:36 PM
Fellows, at my age I don't think it fair to get a puppy, (although I do love them dearly) and we have Four other dogs of our own, plus a gentle soul we're keeping for someone looking for inexpensive housing that will except a dog. However, if a Sr. dog is in need, I've decided to open our home for them. I know the walk may be short and heart-ache will follow soon, but I can't stand the thought of a good dog being wasted when I have room for one more.

Jkrem
08-11-2017, 09:22 PM
Ithaca, I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. You will see her again, in a better place.

Treetop
08-11-2017, 10:21 PM
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Thank you so much for this post, Mary! Treetop

smokeywolf
08-11-2017, 10:39 PM
You were so lucky to have had Lady and Lady was incredibly lucky, so very lucky, to have had you.

Both of you have been truly blessed.

MaryB
08-11-2017, 11:49 PM
Dogs cram more love into their short lives than many humans do in their long lives! All pets do, even my cats show their affection often. Ollie my new kitten has to be held once a day, then he stands on my lap and gives me nose kisses and a head rub under my chin. He is the most gentle cat I have even seen, and polite. He asks to come up by patting me on the leg, if I say not right now he lays down near me until I have the time for a 15 minute cuddle. 1 year old now, 30" long not including his tail, and 22 pounds... he has another year of growing to go yet!

6bg6ga
08-12-2017, 06:11 AM
Fellows, at my age I don't think it fair to get a puppy, (although I do love them dearly) and we have Four other dogs of our own, plus a gentle soul we're keeping for someone looking for inexpensive housing that will except a dog. However, if a Sr. dog is in need, I've decided to open our home for them. I know the walk may be short and heart-ache will follow soon, but I can't stand the thought of a good dog being wasted when I have room for one more.

Sir,

My heart goes out to anyone experiencing a loss of a loved K9 companion. I have on a number of occasions had to put down one of my German Shepherds and its not an easy task and I will admit that I cried like a baby. The loss experienced is every bit as much as the loss of a human. The feeling are just as strong if not stronger because usually the bond is so much tighter than the bond of say your best human friend. Dogs as you surely know love us unconditionally unlike people.

Sir, I do not know your age but I would still highly recommend getting a young puppy so that you can share the good that inside you with a young animal that is truley deserving of some of that love. My suggestion is to obtain another puppy and if age is a problem then maybe you can make arrangements with a neighbor or friend to care for the pup if anything were to happen to you. This way you both win. The puppy gets to experience all the love you have to offer and you get to have an incredible friend for what ever time you have left. Please do not deny a pup the love that you surely posess and could offer to make their life better.

kingstrider
08-12-2017, 06:03 PM
Sorry to hear about Lady. We have had several Shelties over the years and they are an incredible breed.

Grmps
08-12-2017, 06:19 PM
Dogs can do one thing almost impossible for humans, that is unconditional love. Sorry for your loss

snuffy
08-15-2017, 01:30 PM
Sir,

My heart goes out to anyone experiencing a loss of a loved K9 companion. I have on a number of occasions had to put down one of my German Shepherds and its not an easy task and I will admit that I cried like a baby. The loss experienced is every bit as much as the loss of a human. The feeling are just as strong if not stronger because usually the bond is so much tighter than the bond of say your best human friend. Dogs as you surely know love us unconditionally unlike people.

Sir, I do not know your age but I would still highly recommend getting a young puppy so that you can share the good that inside you with a young animal that is truley deserving of some of that love. My suggestion is to obtain another puppy and if age is a problem then maybe you can make arrangements with a neighbor or friend to care for the pup if anything were to happen to you. This way you both win. The puppy gets to experience all the love you have to offer and you get to have an incredible friend for what ever time you have left. Please do not deny a pup the love that you surely posess and could offer to make their life better.

I second that, I just did that exact thing. I lost my beloved golden last November 29th. The hurt was intense, I thought as you do, that at 71 I might not live long enough to out-live a pup. My nephew said he would take over for me, so did my son. BUT my son said it would be tough for me to try to keep up with a puppy, with multiple health concerns, especially arthur-itus, I don't move too fast.

I prayed about it, several chances at a golden pup fell through, then came a chance at a litter posted on Facebook. It was under a hundred miles, I was there at the breeders house within 3 hours of them going live on Facebook. Meet Louie;

He's 5 months now, the last couple of months have been more fun than I've had in a very long time. I real glad I got him, he's so true to the breed. Loving/friendly to anybody he meets, loves to play fetch with a ball or training dummy. He comes from a breeder that provides dogs for local companion dogs for PTSD veterans. Some go for seeing eye dogs as well.