PDA

View Full Version : T38

Toney
11-14-2005, 06:14 PM
Picked up a T38 Jap. Mum intack, in Tulsa today, just got home with it. I'm off to reform 303 cases so I can go shoot it. Will keep you informed.

Toney

Buckshot
11-14-2005, 11:20 PM
............Very likely a vet bringback with an intact Mum. Yup, I'd like to hear how it shoots.

............Buckshot

Toney
11-18-2005, 02:19 AM
She's shooting around 2" at 50y having trouble with the rear sight the V is as wide as the front sight protector and when it blurs out i can't see the bottom of it. The light was perfect today could see to line every thing up

The barrel has been like of those nasty m44"s still is'nt clean looking better all the time

StarMetal
11-18-2005, 11:49 AM
Temporary improvise. Take some black electrical tape , couple layers, cut a more appropiate V in it to your liking, then cut that little section out and tape it over the sight. Clean the oil off the sight first or it won't stick. This will stay on long enough to test out if that is your sighting problem.

Buckshot

Hey Rick, how about that...getting like you with your hose clamps!!!!

Joe

Buckshot
11-19-2005, 09:34 AM
.............Hard to beat hose clamps, cable ties, and duct tape. Binder twine and baling wire have their places too :D

.............Buckshot

Toney
11-20-2005, 08:41 PM
Why doesent lee make a 6.5 bullet mold?

junkbug
11-20-2005, 10:58 PM
Lee does make a 6.5 mm mould, available only through Mid South Shooters Supply.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000066.5SWED

It is a long, thin difficult bullet to cast. I have just begun using it in an Italian M-41 Carcano.

Too soon to have any real opinions on it, other than the mould has to be HOT to cast well. I still need a sizing die, which will have to be custom ordered through Lee. For my Italian, I will want a .268" die.

Good luck.

Sean

Toney
11-20-2005, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the info Sean going to check it out right now

straightshooter1
11-21-2005, 08:43 AM
I have only a few rifles that I can't get to shoot CBs. My T38 was one of those sporterized in the 50s-early 60s, nice looking for what it is.

It shoots about an inch with condom loads, but about as erratic as anything I have ever seen with cast loads.

I'd have killed (or at least maimed) for 2" at fifty yards. At 100, I could live with consistent 6-8" groups knowing I was at least consistent. With every recommended load I get one in the black, one in the white at (for example) 10, another at 5, etc.

Looking to start from scratch-what were you shooting to get the 2" group-bullet and powder type and quantity, please.

Anyone with any suggestions would be appreciated.

I kind of recall a load from the old board. I think it was Jumptrap's where he filled the cases with 7828 and compressed the bullet slightly. I used that in an 8mm recall and it shot well. I later found 22-23.5 grains of RX7 would do the best in 8mm. Can I SAFELY use that type of load in the 6.5 Jap or is there a better load?

Bob

NVcurmudgeon
11-21-2005, 11:54 AM
Toney, don't all those Jap rifles have a peep battle sight as part of the open ladder sight, or is it just the 99's? I shot some better than decent groups out of a like-new 7.7 with that setup.

StarMetal
11-21-2005, 11:55 AM
Curmudge,

No, the T38's had the V notch and the T99's had the peeps.

Joe

straightshooter1
11-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Actually some T38s had peeps as well. Depends on the Series and where it was made. Most common, though, are the open rear sights. The T99s all had peeps, the "Last Ditch" models being fixed and not at all adjustable.

Bob

StarMetal
11-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Bob,

I think you may be wrong on that. I have never seen a T38 with peep sight live in my hands or on the internet or any books. If you have one you have a very rare bird indeed. I'd like to see proof from you that they did existed. As far as I've researched the Japanese didn't use peep sights until they came out with the Type 99, which was an improvement because the sights on the T38 weren't very good. Also alot of the last ditch T99's had a welded fixed notch rear sight.

Joe

straightshooter1
11-22-2005, 10:38 PM
Military Rifles of Japan by Honeycutt has pictures of them. I sold my books recently (got rid of a collection of military stuff) but if someone doesn't look them up in their copy, I will and at least give you a page number and edition. The fellow who bought a lot of my books has that one and I will see him this weekend. I had one, never shot it. Looks exactly like a T38 rear, except instead of the open "v", there is a peep.

Bob

straightshooter1
11-23-2005, 06:17 PM
As unusual as it may be (especially to my wife) I was right about the peeps on T38s. Check Gunboards, the Japanese Firearms Board and you will see my thread about T38s and the answer with page and edition of MRJ.
I never shot the one I had, have shot lots of T99s and the T38 I have that I can't get to shoot cast has a Lyman aperture.

I like apertures and enjoy them more than scopes.

Bob

StarMetal
11-23-2005, 06:28 PM
Bob,

Thanks for the info. Those certainly would be rare birds indeed. I learned something and I thank you for your information.

Joe

straightshooter1
11-23-2005, 06:48 PM
Glad to contribute something. Most all the time I am on the receiving end.

Bob

Scotty
11-26-2005, 02:08 AM
Just loaded up some lead for my Type 38 rifle...trying some bullets i got at a gunshow, i think they are a lyman mold .266 in dimeter and around 137 grains.
I put 10 grains of SR-4759 and some cotton and got the bullet seated about 3/4 of the way down the neck for a OAL of 2.846" .

Scotty,:)

straightshooter1
12-02-2005, 07:56 PM
Scotty did you get a chance to shoot them yet and if so, how did they do?
Bob