PDA

View Full Version : I stumbled today. 44 mag shot loads saga continues

triggerhappy243
08-08-2017, 01:56 AM
Loaded up 12 rounds using chopped 303 brit brass. But was stumped with the wad issue. 20 minutes staring into space, i thought........... Cut a 30-06 case down and chamfer the inside and put in drill press. Wow punched out 200 in no time.

Alferd Packer
01-02-2020, 08:24 PM
You can use a .410 wad if you put a larger wad under it to contain blowby.
A larger wad is cut and forced in side wise and turned before you get down to the powder.After turning you carefully tamp the wad out flat and then using a hammer you seat it down on the powder.
Then load in the .410 wad or whatever you intend on using as a shotwad.
Works for me.
Proceed at your own risk.
Reloading is always dangerous and a risky undertaking.
Get it?

Outpost75
01-02-2020, 09:30 PM
Starline 5 in 1 blank cases much easier and the loading process and performance is well documented.

https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester/contributors/ed-harris/loading-44-game-getter-shot-from-starline-5-in-1-blank-cases

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010093167 Scroll down the page to read the review re shot loads:
From West Virginia

Verified Buyer

The Starline 5 in 1 Blank cases work well to assemble handgun shotshells useable in the .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .38-40, .44-40 and .45 Colt revolvers. Powder charges must be kept mild due to the enlarged flash hole. I use 5 grains of Alliant Bullseye or 6 grains of WST or 231 and a Winchester Large Pistol primer. A Buffalo Arms .45 card wad must be inserted over the powder charge, first inserting the card sideways with tweezers, pushing it about halfway into the case, before rotating it to bridge across the interior case wall and then aligning and pressing it down against the powder using a 3/8" dowel. Next a Federal 410SC shot cup is inserted firmly against the card, seated with the dowel and its protruding wad fingers trimmed off with a sharp knife. It is absolutely necessary to use the .45 card under the plastic shot cup because it is not of sufficient diameter to prevent powder from otherwise leaking around it, which will cause bloopers. Load about 1/3 oz. of fine shot not larger than 7-1/2, to maintain adequate pellet count, within 1/8" of the case mouth. Insert a .38 cal. Buffalo Arms card wad over the shot and then crimp the shell using either a .44 Long Shot, .45 ACP Shot or Lee .308 Winchester seating die which has been shortened by 1" and a blank RCBS sizer-lubricator top punch positioned and adjusted in the seating stem collar to hold the top card at the mid point of the die shoulder, while the case mouth is bumped against the shoulder to form a nice, professional looking crimp. Waterproof the shell by painting the top wad with clear urethane or varnish. These produce rabbit and grouse killing patterns patterns at 20 feet with No.8s and burn rattlers to "snakeburgers" at 15 feet. More effective than the Speer factory shot and useable in a variety of guns. I pack 20 of these in each vehicle or aircraft survival kit.

PHOTOS:

5 in 1 Revolver and Rifle Shot 25 foot pattern from Marlin 1894S .44 rifle

5 in 1 Revolver and Rifle Shot 25 foot pattern from 5-1/2" Ruger .44 with No.8

Bottom Line Yes, I would recommend to a friend

triggerhappy243
01-03-2020, 06:16 AM
You can use a .410 wad if you put a larger wad under it to contain blowby.
A larger wad is cut and forced in side wise and turned before you get down to the powder.After turning you carefully tamp the wad out flat and then using a hammer you seat it down on the powder.
Then load in the .410 wad or whatever you intend on using as a shotwad.
Works for me.
Proceed at your own risk.
Reloading is always dangerous and a risky undertaking.
Get it?

this is what my final finished product came to be. contains 150 gr. of #8 or #9 shot. they work great. These cases run the full length of the cylinder. 1.700 inches long. I wanted to have the largest shot capacity as possible without going to the expense of using plastic shotgun wads.

Alferd Packer
01-03-2020, 11:54 AM
Good for you TriggerH.
Long as you're happy, I'm happy!