PDA

View Full Version : Pak Tool

wildwilly
07-31-2008, 05:30 PM
My first post. I own a Pak Tool +dies for 30-06, 222 Rem, and 38/357. I purchased this handy reloading tool forty years ago from a company located in Washington State, named English. Do any of you know of a source for dies, specifically 45 Colt, 30-30 WCF? Thanks.

dromia
07-31-2008, 05:50 PM
Welcome to the forum Wildwilly, hope you like it here.:drinks:

Do you mean the compac tool from Huntington's, its here:

http://www.huntingtons.com/reloadingpresses.html

and scroll down to the bottom.

dromia
07-31-2008, 05:54 PM
Guess not, you mean this one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=102530660

dromia
07-31-2008, 05:58 PM
There's reference to it here on this Lever guns article and a Bruce Roberts still making them.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/anderson/anderson_handtools.htm

wildwilly
07-31-2008, 07:29 PM
That's exactly the information I was asking for. I think I'm gonna like it here. Thanks again.

Le Loup Solitaire
08-01-2008, 12:04 AM
I remember the pak tool and seeing it advertised back in the day. It enjoyed a modest popularity particularly with those wanting to load at the range or in hunting camp. Its good to see that someone is still producing them and the dies as well. I never owned one but once watched someone using one. It did a good job, but it wasn't the fastest thing on earth. But who cares? Besides as Phil Sharpe once wrote, "If you're in that much if a hurry, go buy the stuff". What I did buy along those lines was a hand tool made by Pacific called the "Pak-it"....in, of all calibers, Caliber .348 Winchester. It could all fit in a good-sized shirt pocket, neck sized only with the only pressure generated by screwing the die segments in and out. It was marked for jacketed bullets only, but I loaded cast and got good grouping. It also had to be the slowest handloading tool ever made, but I wasn't "in that much of a hurry". I never saw another one of those since in any magazine or on e-bay or anywhere, which is odd since Pacific made them in just about all calibers. Maybe they just didn't sell that many. But I still have mine and every once in a while get to fooling with it again just for old times sake. LLS

ktw
08-01-2008, 12:13 AM
Check out the collection of 310 tool die sets in the leverguns article.

Thats a lot of die sets...
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/anderson/Lyman_310_Dies__Handles.JPG

-ktw

Naphtali
08-02-2008, 01:18 AM
My first post. I own a Pak Tool +dies for 30-06, 222 Rem, and 38/357. I purchased this handy reloading tool forty years ago from a company located in Washington State, named English. Do any of you know of a source for dies, specifically 45 Colt, 30-30 WCF? Thanks.The rights to manufacture and original tooling have been purchased by a man who has been selling Pak-Tools on eBay. He writes that he will make dies so long as the die blanks he has will handle cartridge in question. I have queried him via eBay twice. He has no responded.

Hope thishelps.

Bret4207
08-02-2008, 08:10 AM
I remember the pak tool and seeing it advertised back in the day. It enjoyed a modest popularity particularly with those wanting to load at the range or in hunting camp. Its good to see that someone is still producing them and the dies as well. I never owned one but once watched someone using one. It did a good job, but it wasn't the fastest thing on earth. But who cares? Besides as Phil Sharpe once wrote, "If you're in that much if a hurry, go buy the stuff". What I did buy along those lines was a hand tool made by Pacific called the "Pak-it"....in, of all calibers, Caliber .348 Winchester. It could all fit in a good-sized shirt pocket, neck sized only with the only pressure generated by screwing the die segments in and out. It was marked for jacketed bullets only, but I loaded cast and got good grouping. It also had to be the slowest handloading tool ever made, but I wasn't "in that much of a hurry". I never saw another one of those since in any magazine or on e-bay or anywhere, which is odd since Pacific made them in just about all calibers. Maybe they just didn't sell that many. But I still have mine and every once in a while get to fooling with it again just for old times sake. LLS

LLS- We had one of those in our gunshop back before Dad died. Quite a little tool. You're the only one I've ever heard mention them. Must have been rare. IIRC the one we had was in 33 Winchester to go with a rather nice rifle of the same caliber.

cajun shooter
08-04-2008, 11:47 PM
:castmine:That pac tool has an uncanny look a like called the Lee hand press. Look at the Lee and at those drawings. Think Richard Lee maybe was improving the wheel?

lvnthdrm
10-08-2009, 02:39 AM
My uncle W.H. "Bill" English was the inventor and manufacturer of the original Pak Tool. I remember he and my dad talking guns and hunting as a kid. I also remember seeing lots of parts and pieces in his shop where he put them together. Good memories. I have one of the tools that I purchased from him but just have never got around to using it. Thinking now might be the right time to start playing with it.
Dwight English

wildwilly
10-08-2009, 10:00 AM
I still use mine at the range (30-06). Although it's a bit awkward, compared to the more improved portable tools available, I still draw attention at the range when I'm reloading cast boolits for my Ruger Number 1.

threedflyer
07-21-2011, 02:25 AM
My uncle W.H. "Bill" English was the inventor and manufacturer of the original Pak Tool. I remember he and my dad talking guns and hunting as a kid. I also remember seeing lots of parts and pieces in his shop where he put them together. Good memories. I have one of the tools that I purchased from him but just have never got around to using it. Thinking now might be the right time to start playing with it.
Dwight English

Dwight,
Are you in the Seattle area?
Tom

threedflyer
01-09-2012, 11:55 PM
I have a couple of Pak Tools I am going to sell soon........thinking of Ebay if I don't sell them on here first.
Tom

threedflyer
01-09-2012, 11:58 PM
The Newton tool was actually what the Pak Tool was based on.
Bill English used basically the same design......and since Newton neglected to secure good patents on his tool, Bill was able to use the design.
3-D

Janoosh
01-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Pacific "Pak-It" reloading tool. All in one type of hand reloader. I got one in 243 win. Very interesting to work with. Makes good ammo. I haven't tried it with a cast boolit yet. Summer's not that far away. Also have the Lee hand press. Not as interesting and just straight forward to work with.

threedflyer
01-12-2012, 06:36 PM
In addition to the Pak-Tools, I have a fairly good selection of Lee Loader tools in various calibers including .410, 20 and 12 gauge shotgun.
Never has used them, but I can see how they would be very useful in an emergency situation if you were not near your loading bench.