PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Stringing with New Hi-Wall ?

August
07-31-2008, 05:08 PM
Shot the new 38-55 today. My "groups" were about two inches wide and 12 inches tall at 100 yards. Load = 17 grains 4759 under a Bear Creek 255 grain moly in .277 diameter. Bore of rifle is .276. Primer was Federal Match Rifle.

No sign of bullet instability or tumbling. Charges were hand weighed on RCBS electronic powder measure to 1/10 grain consistency.

Any suggestions about where I should look for gremlins?

Thanks!

ktw
07-31-2008, 05:48 PM
Inconsistent ignition?

More pressure via increased charge, use of a different powder or use of a filler.

-ktw

longhorn
07-31-2008, 08:07 PM
How were you resting the rifle? Bench rifles don't generally have 2-piece stocks, and rifles with 2-piece stocks require some different techniques--at least in my experience.

August
07-31-2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks for replies.

Rifle benched with support in front, under forend. Rear, supported on bag/left hand.

The load shot two inch groups out of my Marlin Cowboy on same occasion.

Johnw...ski
07-31-2008, 08:23 PM
A 12 inch vertical string is a lot, but I suppose it could be caused by the forarm.
Be sure that the forarm is not touching the receiver. I usually check this by running a piece of paper between the receiver and the rear of the forarm.
I also usually try to have perfect wood to metal fit between the forarm and barrel from the attaching screw to the receiver, ahead of the attaching screw I usually try to be able to slide a piece of paper between the barrel and forearm. The important thing is clearance between the rear of the forarm anr the front of the receiver, the fit to the barrel is less important and maybe even unneccessary.

Also try resting between the attaching screw and the receiver, and be as consistant as possible resting on that spot when shooting.

Good luck,

John

Jon K
07-31-2008, 08:23 PM
More details please, which High Wall, etc.........and is that bore or groove diameter?
Powder charge seems kinda lite 18 1/2 grains and up is more in the ball park.

Jon

Dale53
08-01-2008, 12:07 AM
August;
Since the ".277" and ".276" measurements are no doubt typo's (should be .377" and .376") I won't suggest that your bullets are entirely too small:mrgreen:...

It would be helpful if we knew your sighting equipment. Two piece stocks can shoot quite well (Jim Borton has shot some WONDERFUL groups with his DeHaas-Miller .32 Miller Short at 200 yards and it has a two piece stock...). Others have as well - and I am talking about doing it in front of God and everybody at a registered match.

You might try resting your barrel at a different place on the sand bag. Sometimes rifles shoot better if they are rested just in front of the forend.

Dale53

doctorxring
08-01-2008, 02:06 AM
Since your groups are only 2 inches wide that makes me think
it's something to do with the forearm/hanger. Take the forearm
off and shoot a group with the rifle supported up close to the
action.

dxr

NoDakJak
08-01-2008, 02:15 AM
I had a Low Wall that was rebored to 38-40. It refused to shoot from the bag and it made no difference whether it was supported on the fore end or the barrel. Al Miller of Handloader Magazine suggested placing my hand between the fore end and the bag and pulling the
rifle back into my shoulder. This made all the difference in the world and I ended up with a sweet shooter that I had been ready to re barrel. Maybe this will work for you. KTW's advice is very solid. Don't give up now. Neil