PDA

View Full Version : The Hatch peppers are happening !

Boaz
08-07-2017, 12:21 PM
Hatch peppers are in my local grocery store . Time to fire up the grill !

codgerville@zianet.com
08-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Hatch peppers are in my local grocery store . Time to fire up the grill !

They are in the stores here too. The FFA is setting up their roasters and Walmart too. Love the smell of roasting chile.

MaryB
08-07-2017, 09:44 PM
I used to order a box. Now I need to cut back on the heat some(heartburn issues)...

DougGuy
08-07-2017, 09:50 PM
I got some in the freezer we grew last year, cook with them often. Didn't grow any peppers this year.

marlin39a
08-07-2017, 10:17 PM
I haven't seen them yet, but I'm ready!

Boaz
08-08-2017, 01:37 AM
I got some in the freezer we grew last year, cook with them often. Didn't grow any peppers this year.

I agree , they compliment or provide a change of pace for many dishes . Good on a cheeseburger , added to meatloaf .....

snuffy
08-08-2017, 02:55 AM
What in tarnation is a "hatch pepper"? I grow lots of peppers, never heard of them, please educate me?

marlin39a
08-08-2017, 04:49 AM
What in tarnation is a "hatch pepper"? I grow lots of peppers, never heard of them, please educate me?

Looks like the Anaheim pepper that is sold year long. These have a short season, and come from the area of Hatch, New Mexico. Come in around this time, and gone in a few weeks. Roast them, peel the skins, and have multi uses. You can put on a burger with your favorite Wisconsin cheeses. Great with eggs. I freeze and use year round. Great in a pork stew.

snuffy
08-08-2017, 11:25 AM
Looks like the Anaheim pepper that is sold year long. These have a short season, and come from the area of Hatch, New Mexico. Come in around this time, and gone in a few weeks. Roast them, peel the skins, and have multi uses. You can put on a burger with your favorite Wisconsin cheeses. Great with eggs. I freeze and use year round. Great in a pork stew.

Thanks for the heads up!:drinks:
http://www.madeinnewmexico.com/hatch-chile-seeds

I wuz pretty tired or I would have done a search last night. Looks like a great chili, I'll order some seeds next spring to see if they'll grow up here in the frozen tundra. I can't compete with the mild temperatures down by the Rio-grande, but we'll see. I got some big long green peppers, not hot but long and narrow instead of like a bell pepper. From Burpee's this year called the "pepper,sweet big daddy hybrid" They're at least 10" long and 2" across the top. THIN walled, so go well in salads or sandwiches.

You can order plants the are shipped right on May 10-15, best last frost date for up here. Instead of relying on what is available from local greenhouses. OR starting your own from seeds.

Shiloh
08-08-2017, 08:33 PM
Did about 20 on the grill last week for the freezer and chile.
Chile Rellenos soon.

Shiloh

JWFilips
08-08-2017, 08:43 PM
Anyone know the "Scoville" read on the Hatch

codgerville@zianet.com
08-08-2017, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=snuffy;4120343]What in tarnation is a "hatch pepper"? I grow lots o
There are many varieties of pepper (chile) grown in the Hatch New Mexico area. Hatch is not a variety of pepper, it is the name of the area, which is North of Las Cruces NM. It ranges from mild (1904) to extra hot (Lumbre). In between are others including Big Jim, which is very popular here. When they say extra hot they aren't kidding.

SciFiJim
08-13-2017, 08:46 PM
The Hatch chilis are in season at the local grocery. After shopping today I needed to roast these. I am the only one in the family who will eat them, so this is probably enough for a year for me.

Bodydoc447
08-17-2017, 08:23 AM
I canned a case and froze a case. I ought to be set for the year.
Doc

Shiloh
08-18-2017, 08:35 PM
They're HERE in MN!!

Buy a box and they roast for you!! 2-6 today, 9-4 tomorrow.

Shiloh

buckwheatpaul
08-18-2017, 08:46 PM
We roast 'em, peel 'em, and put them in an omelet whole with onion and cheese.....makes your mouth feel good!

Boaz
08-18-2017, 08:58 PM
we roast 'em, peel 'em, and put them in an omelet whole with onion and cheese.....makes your mouth feel good!

dang right !

SciFiJim
08-18-2017, 09:10 PM
We roast 'em, peel 'em, and put them in an omelet whole with onion and cheese.....makes your mouth feel good!

I hadn't thought of that. I have always cut them up to put in sauces and such. I'll have to get some more when shopping this weekend to try that.

Boaz
08-18-2017, 09:55 PM
lol , dang good on a cheeseburger too !

MaryB
08-18-2017, 10:55 PM
Where in MN???

They're HERE in MN!!

Buy a box and they roast for you!! 2-6 today, 9-4 tomorrow.

Shiloh

Shiloh
08-19-2017, 10:00 AM
Where in MN???

Rochester today. Other dates for different places.

http://www.ihatchchile.com/in/minnesota/

Shiloh

MaryB
08-19-2017, 11:37 PM
Savage would be closest and still a 200 mile round trip. To far for me.

johnho
08-20-2017, 07:56 PM
This is the first year in many that I didn't order a 25 pound case direct from one of the Hatch growers (health problems). never see them in FL so no other choice. Best chili ever. They have to be air freighted and the freight cost about as much as the chili. Ends up costing me about $4 a pound delivered and the next 5 hours roasting and packaging for a year. Just can't beat them.

Boaz
08-21-2017, 09:12 AM
This is the first year in many that I didn't order a 25 pound case direct from one of the Hatch growers (health problems). never see them in FL so no other choice. Best chili ever. They have to be air freighted and the freight cost about as much as the chili. Ends up costing me about $4 a pound delivered and the next 5 hours roasting and packaging for a year. Just can't beat them.

I agree , a great general purpose pepper . Can be used in all manner of different recipes , I like the medium heat Hatch .

snuffy
08-21-2017, 06:13 PM

Since the hatch pepper is like an Anaheim pepper that just happens to be grown in the Hatch valley, I can order the seeds and grow some up here in yankee land. I'm real curious about the hottest variety, a large really hot pepper would be great in my hot veggie mix that I can each summer. I could do away with some jalapeno's while having more green pepper sticks that just happen to be hot.

MaryB
08-21-2017, 09:42 PM
I have grown Hatch in MN, doesn't taste the same. Soil is wrong...