PDA

View Full Version : Magnet - Wheel Weight Clips

EMC45
08-06-2017, 09:41 PM
Never done it before in all the time melting lead in a pot (since about 1998). I have always used a slotted spoon and just dredged out the clips and dross after fluxing. I tried it today and it worked very well. It is a Craftsman telescoping type magnet that is very strong. The only disadvantage I saw was that sometimes the clips would smack together when the magnet made contact and it would fling dross and lead spatter. I was wearing eye pro and pants, gloves, lace up shoes etc. so I was squared away. I then skimmed off the rust and dross with the spoon and poured out my ingots.

It has been over 2 years since I cast and smelted wheel weights so it was nice to start building up my stores again.

triggerhappy243
08-06-2017, 11:38 PM
I use an old speaker magnet screwed to a stick.

Sasquatch-1
08-07-2017, 06:50 AM
Don't think I would use it to get the clips out of the melted lead. As mentioned, I can see a lot of hot lead flying around. I do use a strong Harbor Freight magnet to remove the steel jackets from the copper and brass before recycling.

ioon44
08-07-2017, 08:07 AM
I have always used a magnet on a 3 ' stick to pull ww clips from my lead pot, I just tap the stick on the edge of the pot and this shakes most of the lead off the clips.

EMC45
08-07-2017, 09:39 AM
I have always used a magnet on a 3 ' stick to pull ww clips from my lead pot, I just tap the stick on the edge of the pot and this shakes most of the lead off the clips.

That was another thing I noticed....I nice little rap on the pot edge and all the little globs of lead holding on let go.

mold maker
08-07-2017, 10:49 AM
If ya use the quick release magnets from HF and Northern, better be quick around the melt, because the body of the magnet is plastic.
Don't ask how I found out. At least they are cheap.

TCFAN
08-07-2017, 10:50 AM
I have always used a speaker magnet held by a large vice grip to get the clips out of COWW for at least the last 30 years.

JBinMN
08-07-2017, 10:58 AM
That couple of "Little taps" on the side of the pot with a pair of needle nosed pliers is my method. Spoon with holes for the lifting & grabbing. I do not want to have any molten lead anywhere but in the pot, so no taking a chance with a magnet for me. "Better safe than sorry.", for me, I reckon...

G'Luck to those that use them or try them...
:)

Hardcast416taylor
08-07-2017, 11:36 AM
I`ve been doing the magnet clip removal system for over 40 years. I use a 1" dia. X 7" long bar magnet rod. I`ve mentioned this method here on the site several times, glad to know other casters use this method of clip removal.Robert

EMC45
08-07-2017, 01:39 PM
I have heard it preached for years and have read here about folks doing it as well. I was straining the clips and dross out yesterday and I looked over at my tool box and thought "hmmm let me get the magnet out".....

I also have some quite old speakers that I can sacrifice for their magnetic properties.

DerekP Houston
08-07-2017, 02:13 PM
huh, I honestly would not have thought to do that, good tip. I did the slotted spoon and tap it against the side to free up any sticking.

MaryB
08-09-2017, 12:39 AM
Dead microwave ovens also have a very strong magnet on the magnetron. Bit of a pain to remove though!

lightman
08-09-2017, 09:57 PM
I never thought of using a magnet. I've always used a slotted spoon.

JWT
08-09-2017, 10:13 PM
I started out with an 8" wire mesh wok strainer. Skims the entire pot in one or two passes. A magnet would work but it would be slower.

Omega
08-09-2017, 10:47 PM
Just don't let the magnet get too hot, or it will lose it's magnetic properties.

texasnative46
08-09-2017, 10:53 PM
JWT,

An all metal wok strainer is what I use. - I cannot see a good reason to use a magnet for such a easy task, even IF you aren't concerned about splattering hot lead.

yours, tex

D Crockett
08-10-2017, 03:06 PM
I use a big magnet out of a speaker the only thing that I do different is I put a piece of flat metal on the bottom of the magnet I hold that with pliers and drop the hot clips into a bucket of water to cool them and my magnet has a T handle wielded on it this work great for me D Crockett