PDA

View Full Version : Any reason to nuot tumble shell holders

gsdelong
08-06-2017, 12:36 PM
I am thinking about tossing my shell holders in the vibratory tumbler to clean them up, any downside to this?

I assume I may have to remove some corn cob from the slots

Greg

billyb
08-06-2017, 12:43 PM
I do that very thing about once a year, works very well.

Kevin Rohrer
08-06-2017, 12:50 PM
No problem.

Harter66
08-06-2017, 12:52 PM
I've been known to toss them in the pistol bbl bottle of Hoppes and swish them out and hose them off with whatever ozone killer is out at the moment .

The only down side I can see is that any oils or oil based case lube might gob up with tumbler dust . Wet tumbled of course you'd need to keep them from rusting after you got them out .

RIHP
08-06-2017, 01:27 PM
If the shell holders are just dirty just put them in a small jar of paint thinner overnight.
For light rust removal the tumbler works well just lube when finished to protect.

mdi
08-07-2017, 12:42 PM
I have been cleaning parts, tools, and brass in various kinds of "tumblers" for many years. I worked in a machine shop and finished parts were cleaned in a commercial size wobbler, with ceramic tiles and water. I clean rusty tools and parts in my rotary with walnut, and/or corn cob. Occasionally when a part or tool is particularly corroded, I'll use some resin pyramids as media.

Go ahead and drop the shell holders in your tumbler They'll come out nice and clean, all over...

gsdelong
08-08-2017, 08:25 AM
So what do I use to "lube" them after cleaning to prevent rust/oxidation?

lightman
08-09-2017, 10:58 AM
Any type of oil will work. What you use on your guns or dies will be fine.

mdi
08-09-2017, 11:12 AM
If I clean/tumble metal parts they are nekkid afterward so I usually just squirt them with whatever aerosol gun oil i have on hand. Or if I tumble them with auto polish in the media, they have a light coating to protect them...

Eldon
08-09-2017, 02:38 PM
After tumbling use Hornady aerosal spray lube. dries and nothing sticks to it.