PDA

View Full Version : Dacron

UKShootist
08-06-2017, 03:08 AM
Well, after reviewing the subject of Dacron filler for 45/70 on this and other forums I decided to invest in the purchase of a modest quantity via the bay in order to try it out. I Picked a reasonably priced (i.e. cheap) supply and paid. It has now been delivered and examined with interest. After separating what looked like the right amount to stuff in front of a light load of powder, and comparing it with what was sent, I now conclude I have a sufficient quantity of Dacron to supply the entire Union Army for a month! :mrgreen:

Edward
08-06-2017, 05:14 AM
Well, after reviewing the subject of Dacron filler for 45/70 on this and other forums I decided to invest in the purchase of a modest quantity via the bay in order to try it out. I Picked a reasonably priced (i.e. cheap) supply and paid. It has now been delivered and examined with interest. After separating what looked like the right amount to stuff in front of a light load of powder, and comparing it with what was sent, I now conclude I have a sufficient quantity of Dacron to supply the entire Union Army for a month! :mrgreen:Probably @ 1/2 grain at a time/works for me/Ed

Kraschenbirn
08-06-2017, 10:17 AM
At a church rummage sale earlier this summer, I snagged a medium-size ("18"x18"x12"?) cardboard box stuffed with leftover odds & ends of dacron quilt batting for a buck. At my age, could easily be a "lifetime" supply.

Bill

Chill Wills
08-06-2017, 11:33 AM
Well, after reviewing the subject of Dacron filler for 45/70 on this and other forums I decided to invest in the purchase of a modest quantity via the bay in order to try it out. I Picked a reasonably priced (i.e. cheap) supply and paid. It has now been delivered and examined with interest. After separating what looked like the right amount to stuff in front of a light load of powder, and comparing it with what was sent, I now conclude I have a sufficient quantity of Dacron to supply the entire Union Army for a month! :mrgreen:

This being the Black Powder Cartridge section, I assume you are going to combine part of a case of BP with a loose Dacron fill top, or is this intended for smokeless powder?

GOPHER SLAYER
08-06-2017, 08:10 PM
Why not use cotton? You can buy a large bag of cotton swaps for very little money, and cotton doesn't melt.

rfd
08-07-2017, 07:34 AM

why do you feel a need to add fillers? i would never use loose fillers with black powder. fillers and wads and whatnot with double base smokeless powders are something i'd also avoid (and banned at some matches, too). i see no need for "fillers" of any type with any kinda cartridge build. if yer doing black powder cartridge builds, load up and perhaps compress. for smokeless cartridge builds there are powders that work extremely well, like AA5744, and no fillers or wads needed or wanted.

UKShootist
08-07-2017, 07:55 AM
This being the Black Powder Cartridge section, I assume you are going to combine part of a case of BP with a loose Dacron fill top, or is this intended for smokeless powder?

My mistake. Obviously I would not need, nor would I use, any filler for black powder cartridges. Apologies for the confusion.

Edward
08-07-2017, 08:48 AM
why do you feel a need to add fillers? i would never use loose fillers with black powder. fillers and wads and whatnot with double base smokeless powders are something i'd also avoid (and banned at some matches, too). i see no need for "fillers" of any type with any kinda cartridge build. if yer doing black powder cartridge builds, load up and perhaps compress. for smokeless cartridge builds there are powders that work extremely well, like AA5744, and no fillers or wads needed or wanted. There is absolutely a place for dacron in smokeless applications ,use it all the time with 2400/4224 ! There is an excellent sticky by Larry Gibson on the proper usage and benefits of dacron with smokeless powder,you might want to read it (it"s informative ) and the man knows what he"s talking about .

rfd
08-07-2017, 08:59 AM
There is absolutely a place for dacron in smokeless applications ,use it all the time with 2400/4224 ! There is an excellent sticky by Larry Gibson on the proper usage and benefits of dacron with smokeless powder,you might want to read it (it"s informative ) and the man knows what he"s talking about .

yep, yer right, i just forgot to add the "personally". in the dim past i've used fillers with smokeless cartridge builds, and i know of folks still using 'em.

smoked turkey
08-07-2017, 02:56 PM
I more or less "target shoot" with my .505 Gibbs. It is a pretty large case with lots of internal volume. I shoot a 525 Gr. boolit at 1600'/s using about 50 grains of Accurate 5744 with a standard LR primer. I always use about a 1.5-2.0 grain tuft of dacron that I put in the void between the power and the base of the boolit. It is not tamped in, but I allow the boolit to just slightly compress it into place as it is seated to the crimp groove. I use Tom's excellent 51-520gg mold. The powder burn is good. No leading. Accurate. A pleasure to shoot. Works for me.