PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a brass framed Yellow boy after firing BP

commando223
08-05-2017, 02:02 PM
Hi everyone I wanted to know what is a safe way to clean the brass receiver after firing Black power loads.

Is Pure Balistol ok or should it be mixed with water?

Hannibal
08-05-2017, 02:21 PM
I've used a product called 'NeverDull' on mine, but I've never fired black powder in it. You can find it in auto parts stores. It's a treated cotton material. Works great on chrome and aluminum also. All metal can.

John Boy
08-05-2017, 02:53 PM
Flitz ... https://www.flitz-polish.com/p/flitz-liquid-polish/FLTLLQ04587

Lead pot
08-05-2017, 03:54 PM
Personally I like the brass framed 60 Henry's and the yellow boys when the brass gets a little dark. Just water, dry and oil after use does just fine. If your a X service guy or still in and need the brass to shine the old stand by Brasso or what John listed does well seeing your reflection looking back at you.
Kurt

John Boy
08-05-2017, 04:16 PM
Personally I like the brass framed 60 Henry's and the yellow boys when the brass gets a little dark.
Kurt - I'm with you. All of my CAS rifles are brass shot with black powder. With the patina on them - they sure do look 'Cowboyish' :)

35 Whelen
08-19-2017, 04:10 PM
Hi everyone I wanted to know what is a safe way to clean the brass receiver after firing Black power loads.

Is Pure Balistol ok or should it be mixed with water?

Don't use it full strength. I mix 7 parts water to 1 part Ballistol and it cleans black powder like no nobodies business. Mind you, it doesn't shine the brass, but it will clean it and steel for that matter.

35W

country gent
08-19-2017, 04:40 PM
I mix ballistol 10-1 with water. Also windex multi surface with vinegar is a great BP cleaner Ive used it on bores at the range for years. I would recommend trying it on a piece of scrap brass first though. put some on a small piece of brass or soak the brass in a small amount for a few days to make sure it dosent discolor or cause it to turn green. Be sure with either to oil lightly after use to prevent oxidation.

Red Bear Haraldsson
08-23-2017, 02:16 PM
NevrDull will make it shine like a gold mirror. It will also show every single little nick in the metal. :)

CASTER OF LEAD
08-23-2017, 03:06 PM
Mother's MAG and Aluminum paste polish will also have it shining like a gold mirror. We use it on our brass rails, bell , and fire hose connectors on the Tug boat I work on. - CASTER