PDA

View Full Version : My Smith

Tom W.
08-05-2017, 01:54 PM
Thursday I finally felt good enough to go shoot my model 19-4 for the first time. I was shooting some cast loads I made up several years ago for the Ruger Security Six that I used to own. To say I was impressed was an understatement. The first two shots were touching and cut the X. The other four were just to the left in the ten ring. I didn't get pictures because I was shooting with a friend who hasn't fired ànything in 30 years, and I was keeping a close eye on him. I have been weakened a lot by my chemotherapy, but the Smith and my Glock 19 were a joy to shoot. I had forgotten how my LC9s Pro could be pretty stout using the same loads I was shooting from the Glock. I didn't realize I had weakened that much.
After I got too tired to shoot we went into the gun shop an I saw a 6" blue used Smith in .45 Colt. I really wanted to take it home, but not at $799 plus tax. Hopefully when I get through with the chemo my body will get back to normal.

Der Gebirgsjager
08-05-2017, 02:14 PM
Glad you had a great day shooting, Tom, and hope the chemo does what it's supposed to do and that things turn out well for you. Yes, that S&W .45 would be a great addition to anyone's gun locker. I'm almost thinking you saw the model that I passed on back in the mid 1980s. It was a blue 6" with a smooth, unfluted cylinder. Went back the next day and it was gone. I've only seen one since, at a gun show, but it was a 4" and didn't have the high gloss blue finish and had kind of a dull look. Not a sand blast, just not as polished. Maybe someday.....:)

Tom W.
08-05-2017, 06:41 PM
I'm gettingto appreciate Smiths...... but a Python is a beautiful thing too !

Dennis Eugene
08-05-2017, 07:56 PM
Tom, your post makes my heart soar. Glad you had a good day in the midst of what must be many trying ones. Still standing in your corner. Dennis

richhodg66
08-05-2017, 08:09 PM
The shooting today probably did as much good for you as the chemo. Glad it raised your spirits, hang in there.

There's something about a big bore revolver.

Drm50
08-05-2017, 08:32 PM
Around my area any hi condition N frame brings $800, even M28s are moving close to that. I've
got a few S&Ws and have been keyed on 6" guns lately. I found I can shot them better than 4"
and as good as 8 3/8" guns. I am setting them all up for WCs. 24-3, 25-2, 25-5 all fine shooting machines,201165

Tom W.
08-05-2017, 09:47 PM
That's the revolver I saw, or at least it's stablemate. I didn't look to see what the dash was. Beautiful creation. I might even sell my Ruger #1 to obtain it. I don't hunt anymore, and if I do ever go again I'll take my SRH. I'd be a bit concerned about feeding the Smith with what I have loaded up, as they are mostly Ruger only loads....... oh well, I'm retired and if I feel up to it I can disassemble loads....

bluelund79
08-05-2017, 10:45 PM
Glad today was a good one for you. Smith's in this area of KY seem to command pretty good pocket change. Good thing mine are being shot by me until I hand them off to my sons 50 or so years down the road. Continued prayers and well wishes for you Sir

Texas by God
08-06-2017, 09:47 PM
Good on you for getting out there and shooting. I love S&Ws too.
Best, Thomas. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170807/9af593ce165db73c6b0e5589414d0054.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Scharfschuetze
08-07-2017, 12:00 PM
A good Smith & Wesson K Frame has made for many a fine day at the range or in the field. Glad your S&W is living up to their reputation.

If I could only have one handgun, this Model 19 4" would be it.

bedbugbilly
08-07-2017, 08:27 PM
Glad you had a good outing Tom and a good day of shooting! Hang in there as we are all pulling for you!

Nothing like a good K frame - I have a 1920s M & P Target model, a 1952 5" M & P and a Combat Master Piece. If I had to pick between the three, it would be a real difficult choice!

Our thoughts and prayers are with you . . . . and keep on shooting - it does a person good to do what they like to.

white eagle
08-07-2017, 08:37 PM
glad you got out to shoot
getting out is great even if you just get out
Smiths yes I have a fondness for them as well
mine is a 4" 29 just gotta have it