PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
08-05-2017, 07:42 AM
As for Saul, he made havoc of the church, entering every house, and dragging off men and women, committing them to prison."

—Acts 8:3

Does it ever seem as though God couldn’t save certain people—people whom you can’t imagine being followers of Jesus? You can’t, in your mind’s eye, envision them carrying a Bible or saying something like, “Praise the Lord!” You think that would never, ever happen.

Maybe they’re always hassling you. Every time they see you, they seem to have ten new questions to fire at you. They get a little angry about it. They get a little hostile. And sometimes they even make fun of you in front of other people because of your belief in Jesus Christ. You think, “That person is so far from the kingdom of God.”

But it may be the very opposite. The person who is giving you the hardest time might be very close to coming to the Lord. No one is beyond the reach of God. And sometimes the people we think are far away are closer than we realize.

There is no clearer illustration of this than Saul of Tarsus, who later became the great apostle Paul. He wasn’t satisfied with just mocking and criticizing Christians; he went out of his way to hunt them down like wild animals and imprison them. He presided over the death of the first martyr of the Christian church, Stephen.

When Saul came to faith, it was so unexpected that many greeted it with skepticism and suspicion. So significant was his conversion that it is recorded three times in the New Testament. Paul changed his world. He blazed a trail, leaving behind many churches and converts.

The day I became a Christian, the last thing I ever planned on doing was believing in Jesus. No person made that happen. Only God could. So keep praying for unbelievers in your life—and watch what God will do.

square butte
08-05-2017, 08:12 AM
It's a good reminder - I am glad this was the verse and massage you put up today.

USMC87
08-05-2017, 08:58 AM
Amen.

claude
08-05-2017, 10:17 AM
He presided over the death of the first martyr of the Christian church, Stephen.

Yes, "I have an axe to grind" this statement is a false witness against Saul/Paul who did not preside over the execution by any of today's definitions of preside.

The verses concerning Saul's participation in the stoning of Stephen are here;

(Acts 8:1) "And Saul was consenting unto his death. And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judæa and Samaria, except the apostles."

Act 22:20* And when the blood of thy martyr Stephen was shed, I also was standing by, and consenting unto his death, and kept the raiment of them that slew him.

While it may seam a small thing, the differences between consenting, and presiding are huge in legal terms.

That being said, those who say, "well, we take it in the spirit it is presented in." I ask you, "what does the Spirit of truth have in common with the spirit of lies?"

This is a great lesson indeed of how men can deceive you, how God's words can be changed to men's words with barely a notice.
Do I think it was intentional? Not so much. Why do I think it bears shining a light on?

Mat 12:36-37 KJV* But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. *(37)* For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Because IMHO accuracy matters, YMMV.

Blackwater
08-05-2017, 04:24 PM
This example clearly shows that we can NEVER know who'll come to Christ and who won't, and yet, I see people professing belief very often saying, "They'll NEVER respond to Christ!" Indeed, the persons speaking thusly may not know HOW to convert them, but in Christ's will, we find the ultimate answer to questions like this, and NOWHERE in the Bible do we find Christ saying "send this message to all those you THINK will respond." He said, "Go out into ALL THE WORLD and preach the Gospel." This is a very easy thing to forget for all of us, but one of the stumbling blocks that we need to overcome, I believe. We can NEVER know who'll respond and who's "worth our time," and who is not. God help us to remember that!