PDA

View Full Version : S&W 329pd

HCL
07-31-2008, 12:50 AM
Ok, long story short a 329pd followed me home today, it was lost and scared so my woman let me keep it. (she is the best!)
Sweet pistol. It does feel funny being soo light.
My normal 44mag load is 310gr lee on top a healthy load of H110. Though I think I will reserve that to my 629 and occational use with the 329. I am sure recoil will be brutal with the 310gr loads.
Has anyone done any testing with this pistola with cast stuff and what does it like.
I have several moulds in the 230gr-270gr range, and kinda thinking that I should stick to the 250gr range with the mag loads.
Any experiance or suggestions will be greatly appretiated.
Thanks
Mike

EDK
07-31-2008, 05:07 AM
I only shot a few through my brother's 329 PD...and he was trying to play the same game as with his 500 S&W. One carpal tunnel surgery is enough.

I'd get a more conventional front sight and an action job for starters. For ammo, I'd try one of the "cowboy type" bullets for speed loader use. Full wadcutter 44s would be a good choice too. Load them to 900 feet per second..or a little hotter...and practice a little. I'm not sure about the durability of these lightweights, but there are several magazine articles extolling their virtues.

REMEMBER: Elmer Keith only put 600 rounds through his 44 magnum in the first year he had it. 44 Special level ammo would help your gun last a lot longer!

ED'S LAW: If you need maximum loads, you need a bigger gun.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

Bass Ackward
07-31-2008, 06:08 AM
What I found was that that outfit was more subject to grip than anything I ever used. If I gripped it like a light gun should, it shot poorly. If I just let it rest on the one finger and held it light, it did quite well. I would prefer this to be reversed. :grin:

This gun more than anything you have ever used, it is going to teach you to ask Professor gun. At least it did me. Once you start working with it, you are immediately going to know what you need to do with it. :grin:

The strength of the gun is not in question. What you need to monitor is the frame shield at the top. These will get cut clean through at different rates based upon the width of your barrel cylinder gap and how much end play you develop and what powder you select.

Otherwise, just read and react the way you would with any other handgun.

45 2.1
07-31-2008, 06:58 AM
Wait till you shoot it. Its going to tell you "shoot light boolits in me if you don't want numb hands". A good 200 to 220 gr HP at mid mag velocities would be a good thing.

EMC45
07-31-2008, 07:15 AM
I was gonna say the same thing about the light bullets. Maybe 5.5-6gr. Titegroup under a 200gr RNFP cast bullet? I have found that to be a good load.

HCL
07-31-2008, 11:50 AM
Thanks, I have a pretty good light plinking load worked up for a 250gr, will give it a try this weekend, still amazed at how light this thing is.
Bass A, I will remember the grip deal and try that out, normally use a fairly light grip with all my pistols, expecialy on my 629, that thing far excedes my capabilitys in accuracy.
Again Thanks.
Mike

Shuz
07-31-2008, 12:46 PM
Mike, Bass has it correct, monitor the top strap shield for wear. Mine has been back to the factory twice for replacement. I shoot 230g 429421HP's with 18g of 2400 outta mine. I love mine and carry it a lot, but I shoot it a lot less than my other .44's. Good luck with yours.--Shuz

Echo
07-31-2008, 02:49 PM
As a competitive pistol shooter, I can't agree with the 'light grip' concept. My position is that the shooter should try to squeeze the grip in two! If the shooter develops shakes and tremors, then the shooter needs to strengthen his (or her) grip strength. Also, lock up wrist and elbow to make the arm and pistol a 'system'.
I shot a 329 at our range several months ago. The owner was going hiking in Alaska, wanted to carry power, but didn't want to carry weight. Smart move, says I. The one round I fired hit within a few inches of where I was aiming (I generally shoot at a rock or feature on the 60-yard berm, rather than messing up the shooter's target), and the recoil ended up at eleven o'clock pointed at the sky. Not the kind of load one wishes to use in practice, but certainly the kind of load one should have in the chamber when hiking in Alaska.

EchoSixMike
08-01-2008, 03:21 AM
The Skelton load (9.0 Unique and a Keith SWC) isn't too bad in the one I fired. It comes back a bit, but not at all unpleasant. S/F....Ken M

Lloyd Smale
08-01-2008, 06:58 AM
I shoot competively too and although i agree you need a good firm grip, grip consistancy is alot more important then grip strenght. If grip stenght was such an important aspect of shooting how could it be that for me anyway its allways been easier to teach a women to shoot well then a man. What i find especially in competion is that when stress levels increase people have a tendency to overgrip there guns and then dive into a shot. If you watch a competition like ppc you will notice that just about every missed shot is low and very few will be high. that is caused by to tight of a grip. Ive told a guys struggling with it during a shoot to mentaly make sure your not overgripping your gun and in just about every case there scores improve drasticaly. Ive also noticed especially in beginning shooters that as the grip gets firmer so does the tendency to flinch increase.
As a competitive pistol shooter, I can't agree with the 'light grip' concept. My position is that the shooter should try to squeeze the grip in two! If the shooter develops shakes and tremors, then the shooter needs to strengthen his (or her) grip strength. Also, lock up wrist and elbow to make the arm and pistol a 'system'.
I shot a 329 at our range several months ago. The owner was going hiking in Alaska, wanted to carry power, but didn't want to carry weight. Smart move, says I. The one round I fired hit within a few inches of where I was aiming (I generally shoot at a rock or feature on the 60-yard berm, rather than messing up the shooter's target), and the recoil ended up at eleven o'clock pointed at the sky. Not the kind of load one wishes to use in practice, but certainly the kind of load one should have in the chamber when hiking in Alaska.

Bass Ackward
08-01-2008, 07:31 AM
Ive also noticed especially in beginning shooters that as the grip gets firmer so does the tendency to flinch increase.

Not only beginners. That's basically why it's hard to lay down a handgun for any length of time and step right back in. Or to go from instinctive shooting to target. And many people don't realize this about handguns. And so it is with a 329pd.

The fastest, or most powerful, or the most accurate gun in the world is useless if you don't have it when you need it. And the 329pd is meant to be an instinctive piece. Very few people can make it into target piece without negatively affecting yourself for other fine target purposes. It is what it is.

GabbyM
08-01-2008, 12:04 PM
As the proud owner of a Colt Anaconda 6”. I can very much appreciate a lighter package. The big Colt is only slightly handier to carry than a carbine. I dont' belive I've ever had it over a mile from my vehicle.

I've been salivating over the 329PD since first seeing it on S&W web site.

be603
08-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Guess I'm old school. I second the SWC option for carry/SD. Esp if you've got a HP-SWC option. From 38 Special to 45 Colt I keep coming back round to where Elmer finished up.

Downloaded to hot 44 Spec pressures and 850-900 fps that wide meplat is just the ticket for "social work."

rugerdude
08-01-2008, 09:35 PM
I have not shot one yet, but have handled a couple. I know how my BH's and SBH's kick, especially the lighter, short barreled ones, and I have absolutely zero desire to drop the hammer on a full house load in a PD. To me, that is the poster child for a gun that gets carried a lot and shot a little. With .44 Special level loads it might be OK, but Mag level loads in that gun just tests how much of a sadist you are. Just my .02. [smilie=1:

HCL
08-01-2008, 11:43 PM
I have several good loads worked up with the 429421hp and 429640hp those will be my first trials. (still have to try my 310gr lee too:-D)
Will keep an eye on that topstrap guard, was wondering how long that thing would last.
I would agree with this pistol being and instinctive shooter, dont think it would be alot of fun to spend a full day at the range with like my 629; however, I dont mind the recoil of large handguns, in my previous life I spent days on the ranges shooting pistolas, granted they did not offer the recoil of a large handgun, but I belive after time you learn to tune that out and just shoot.
Anyhow this thing should be a hoot! And I wont be chasing brass.

Ok, any holster suggestions??
Again Thanks
Mike

MtGun44
08-02-2008, 12:29 AM
Interesting that the Anaconda and 329 are in the same thread.

I carried my 6" Anaconda on a Wyoming backpacking trip, and after 10 days
was doubting my sanity. That pistol is HEAVY! As we were heading out of
town after the hike, I saw an article in the local paper about a griz that had
killed 20+ sheep near our backpacking area. Several things came to mind.
First - killing 20+ means it was killing for fun. Second - I'd bet I'm easier to
catch than a sheep.

SO -- I bought a 329. Nasty recoil, but a delight to carry. I DO NOT plink
with it. I TRAIN with it. Full power 429421 loads, never more than two cylinder
fulls in one session and use the 4" 629 for light load practice and plinking
fun. Never found a load that was really fun with the 329. I can shoot it more
than two cyl full house loads, but I get hand pain the next day occasionally and
don't want long term damage.

329 is a great tool - I always carry it when in bear country. Very specialized, tho
as it is not much fun for plinking. Also, doing real practice in large quantity with the 329
will be a lot less fun than with the 629 Mtn Gun.

Bill

Lloyd Smale
08-02-2008, 08:47 AM
I feel a little differnt about it. I think a 329 loaded with 250s at 900 fps would be a fairly pleasant gun to spend a day with. But ive shot them with full power loads and it definately takes it out of the fun catagory. There actually a pretty versitile gun when you consider they can be carried easily and used for everyday chores and then loaded up with a 300 at 1100 fps and used for backup against the biggest animals. As far as being painful shooting they dont compare to the 396 44 special smiths. They weight half what the 329 weights and are much smaller in the grip being L frames. These guns are the altimate stick in your coat pocket guns. Only problem i had with mine is when i shot big loads in it i would blead everytime from those stupid grips. 18 grains of 2400 and a 250 kieth had much more unconfortable recoil then my 4 inch linebaughs do at full tilt. I then dumped that one and bought a 696 which to me is the best of all worlds. No finer carry gun ever came out of smith and wesson then a 696

Shuz
08-02-2008, 11:20 AM
HCL--I put a pair of Hogue Smith 500 grips on my 329PD and they are much more comfortable to shoot with than the stock Hogues that come with the 329PD. The 500 grip completely covers the backstrap. The only drawback is it's cost...about $43.00 and only available from S&W, as Hogue won't sellem to anyone else. When you send yours back to Smith to have the top strap shield replaced, ask them to swap out your grips for the 500 grips. That's what they did for me at my request. Good luck with your 329PD!--Shuz

HCL
08-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Shuz, did they install the lanyard ring too? Now that would be a nice addition!

Mike

Shuz
08-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Nope--No lanyard ring! But that's OK, I shoot mine...I don't walk it!(hee hee)

HCL
08-03-2008, 11:42 AM
sure glad i was not drinking something when i read that, may have squirted it out my nose! Too funny!
Mike

HCL
08-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Well now, spent most of the day at the range.
Shot about a box of 44spc 200gr, pretty mild, was like a big 22, way too much fun. This thing is incredibly accurate!
Next was the 44 mag 429421hp, 230gr pretty warm load. It was not bad at all, sure not what i expected, still way too much fun.
Next was 44mag, 429640hp, 250gr, very warm loads. The stinging from the back strap was starting to set in, but very tolerable.
Finally tried the 310gr Lee, 20grs H110, my normal all around 629 carry load. It was not near as bad as i expected??? The stinging from the backstrap was pretty noticable. Would not want to spend the day shooting nuthin but those but very controlable and very accurate! STILL WAY TOO MUCH FUN!!!
With everything i have read about the recoil I was worried that a fast DA follow-up shot would not be possible, that was unfounded! This thing is set up as a defencive wpn, very crisp SA and DA, with the recoil being so fast and sharp, getting back on target felt like it was easier/faster than my 629.
Rapid fire DA, with the 310gr was interesting, I could feel my arms being driven back into my shoulders, but still controlable enough to keep 6 rounds on 10" paper plate at 21ft.
Overall------Should have bought one of these years ago! :-D
I really appretiate everyones advice!
Thanks
Mike

Oh forgot to mention the powder burns on the titanium cylindar look pretty cool!!

GabbyM
08-03-2008, 09:48 PM
The 200gr load sounds like my speed. Was thinking about 12 gr of Unique. For my Anaconda.

Went to my closet yesterday to get out that 8lb jug of H Universal I thought I had and darn if it didn't say Unique on it. Always read the label. :oops:

That 200 gr bullet should be flying as fast as if it were shot from John Waynes 44-40 Winchester rifle. So I'll call it manly enough for me. :Fire:

MtGun44
08-04-2008, 10:49 PM
Lloyd,

We apparently perceive recoil differently. I enjoy heavy 44 spl loads in my
396 much more than heavy 44 mag loads in the 329. Both are good tools,
great to carry, but I'll probably shoot the 396 10 times as much in the long
haul. I perceive both primarily as self defense tools rather than plinking
guns.

Enjoy your S&Ws ! :drinks: I do mine.

Bill

Lloyd Smale
08-05-2008, 06:40 AM
dont know Bill. Could be like you say that its just preception but in my case perception included bleading. It would cut the web of my hand between the thumb and first finger about every time i shot it. You have to keep in mind though the load i was shooting. It was 18 grains of 2400 and a 250 kieth. A set of pach. compact grips helped some but didnt totaly cure the problem. The N frame with it larger grips helps me some but i have rather large hands.

44man
08-05-2008, 08:58 AM
I agree with Lloyd on grip pressure and position. Over the years I owned many, many 29's and even though they were the most accurate .44's, easily doing 1/2" at 50 meters, they were grip sensitive. Once I started a group I could not put down the gun or the group would move a LOT. I never did any good with them on silhouette, hitting 5 in a row dead center and missing the next 5. I shot them better offhand then from Creedmore or a rest.
A firm grip, not loose or too tight was best. The SRH needs a firm grip also but is not as picky to position as the S&W. The SBH also needs a firm grip but position doesn't seem to effect where it hits.
As recoil increases like with my BFR's, I have to tighten the grip a little more but it still is not a "choke hold." Shooting them loose can crease your head! :mrgreen: Also makes me hit too high.
I can sight the heavy kickers from bags and still hit at all ranges off hand, something I can't do with the .44. I have to sight the .44 from Creedmore or off hand for a hunting zero, not from bags.
You have to learn what each gun needs in order to hit where you aim or to get good groups, every one is different.

MtGun44
08-06-2008, 07:15 PM
OK - I have only shot one group with 16 gr 2400 under a 250 Keith in the
396, and it WAS pretty bad. I have been sticking to normal 44 spl loads in
the 396 pretty much, plus I have less than 200 rds thru it at this point. I
mostly carry it, - it's a NightGuard - so is configured for CCW more than
other purposes.

I'll avoid doing the full 18.0 2400/250 Keith in the 396. [smilie=1:

I do shoot 20gr 2400/250 Keith in the 329. It is nasty, but managable and
what I keep in it when backpacking and hunting. My personal limit in
testing and practice with full loads is 2 cyl full in one session. After that the
fun is gone so I just set it as a personal rule. I can shoot full loads in
the 4" 629 Mtn Gun as much as I want, have done over 50 rds of ammo
testing in one session numerous times. Not bad in that gun, but I can't
hack it with the 329 - tried once to do 50 rds in a row, decided it was
a really bad idea. I'm not tough enough !:roll:

Bill

HCL
08-07-2008, 12:04 AM
Picked up my hand priming tool today, filled it with primers, lined up my brass and quickly relized how sore my hand really was from the other day at the range![smilie=1:
I had not really felt any soreness till i squeezed that little priming handle and the web in my hand let me know really quick that it was unhappy!
Now that this thing has a good zero I belive I will leave well enough alone and regulate it to what it was made for, and the occational shaking out the cobwebs.
Some lessons are best "lernt" the hard way!

I am still searching for that 396 night guard, hopefully someday they will make it up here. Then I can learn all over again...
Thanks
Mike

MtGun44
08-07-2008, 11:57 PM
Mine taught me the same exact lesson. I'm impressed with the folks that
can shoot the 329 all day with hot 300 gr loads, but I sure can't. :shock:

Two cylinders full in the 329 - enough to verify zero and that it and I still
know how, then switch to the 629 Mountain Gun for the rest of the
session is my rule.

Bill

HCL
08-08-2008, 12:43 AM
Bill,
Ain't that funny how things like that happen, when it comes to lessons??:oops:
I figured I would work up a 44spc load that prints roughly the same as that 310gr load and enjoy my practice with the lighter loads with the 329, and limited practice with the heavy ones. Dont really think I would ever be shooting over 25yrds with that thing anyhow.
I don't mind the 310gr loads in the 629 so will continue to enjoy them in it.
Mike

Bass Ackward
08-08-2008, 07:05 AM
It isn't about if you feel pain, either at the shot or later. I shot mostly 44 Special loads in it when I did. They felt very tolerable. When I noticed the problem, I even went to a glove. But I was developing bad habits of blinking and trigger pull that got to be too difficult to overcome, so I stopped.

I believe that it wasn't only recoil, but the weight of the gun itself. Cause I could develop the problem dry firing. Once I noticed the problem, it took almost a month to get back to normal. Now I shoot loads that produce the same exact recoil level in other guns and I am OK. It didn't stop until I put down that gun. Psychological?

Same thing happens when shooting even a 223. It screws with my ability to shoot 22LR to peak levels. It just takes the edge off of how good you can do. And we know that the 223 is not a recoil monster. So I shoot 22LR to keep me in check. Gun weight is an issue with 22s as well. My 52 is much easier to shoot than my T-bolt, but both can do equally well.

Both handguns and rifles can be TOO light. Problem is that just like guns are individuals, so are we. And you have to do, what you have to do if you have an issue macho or not. So for me, practice is done with other guns.

HCL
08-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Have not noticed any bad habits building, but I will sure keep that in mind. I do a considerable amount of dry fire and practice with all my pistols (with snap caps), so that may be helping.
I did not feel that the recoil or muzzle blast was at all untolerable with the 329. Unlike the 223, 14" compensated Hunter Contender barrel that I have used in the past, the compensator would clear your shooting bench of anything that was not bolted down and anyone that was within 2-3 benches would come by just to let you know how loud that thing was. Even with double ear protection it was no fun. It did not keep that thing very long at all. Now that thing would give you bad habits real quick!
I dont know if the weight has much to do with it, for me, but again I will sure watch for any signs or symptoms.
Thanks
Mike

Paul105
08-08-2008, 10:32 PM
This is my experience with the 329. Yes, it is probably the best .44 special currently available. Yes its recoil is sudden. And yes, some people can learn to shoot the 329 effectively with magnum ammo (not everyone will be able to do this). It will take some time and effort. Everyone’s anatomy and recoil tolerance is different. It is not a gun for anyone that is not willing to put in the time to become completely familiar with it.

I’ve probably fired 7,500 to 8,000 rounds thru three 329s (one self destructed and was replaced by S&W) . I started keeping track on Jan 1, 2007 (a year or so after I got the 1st one), and have shot 3,200 and 3.600 respectively ( thru March, 2008) thru two guns. All loads have been 17.5 to 20.0 gr of A-2400 under 240 – 260gr jacked/lead bullets. I normally shot 24 to 36 rounds 5 to 6 times a week (every time out). The Hogue 500s and a light leather glove allowed me to do this with little or no discomfort.

The 17.5gr load chronos right at 1,100 fps depending on bullet, temperature and powder lot (as a point of reference, Rem Fact 240gr JSPs chrono 1,250fps). My carry load runs a 260gr WFNGC right at 1,300 fps. I’ve also loaded some 325gr WLNGC from Beartooth Bullets over 19.0gr H110 for a chronoed 1,064 fps.

The recoil of the 329 is basically straight back (yes there is some torque). There really isn’t as much muzzle flip as heavier guns with longer barrels. I can get back on target much faster with the 329 than I can with a 7 ½” Ruger SBH, and a least as quickly as I can with a 6” 629. I know this sounds nuts, but it’s all about muzzle flip/momentum.

For me, the S&W 500 Hogue grips are a must. The portion of the Hogue 500s that covers the back strap is made of Impact Absorbing material. As far as I know, they are only avail from Smith & Wesson. They are not the same as the open backstrap ones that come with the gun, nor are they available directly form Hogue or other retail sources.

I Grip the gun firmly, but not with a death grip. I don’t try to hold the gun down, let it recoil freely. Whe it was stinging the web of my hand, I loosened (yes loosen) my grip a little bit at a time until it didn't sting.

One other thing to remember is that the 329 is a light gun, with express sights, and as such (along with the recoil) is more difficult to shoot accurately offhand, and a longer ranges.

As previously mentioned, keep your eye on the blast shield (both of my guns have had it replaced twice). Also check carryup periodically, as both of my guns were returned for carryup issues.

I got tired of sending these guns back to S&W for repairs, and the recoil was starting to wear on my wrist, so I don’t shoot them anywhere near as much as I did for the 1st year and a half.

I also have a 396. I put the S&W Hogue 500s on the 396 – more concerned with weight than bulk. I can’t shoot the small grip open backstrap grips. The bone at the base of my thumb is a magnet for the backstrap – actual had to have stitches in the web of my hand from shooting 340PD – short of like the cut over a boxer’s eye where the skin gets trapped between the bone and the object delivering the blow. Anyway, my carry load is 17.0gr Lil’Gun under a 250gr RCBS Keith from Leadheads that weighs right at 260 grains. The load chronos 1,030 from the 3” bbl at 80 deg F. The other day, I was out verifing point of impact with both the 396 and the 329 for upcoming archery season. The 396s recoil was noticably greater than the 329 PD (260 WFNGCs over 23.5 gr of H110).

I live in SW Montana, and am out in the woods either with my dog, hunting, fishing, etc. five plus days a week. The 329 is my primary carry gun when woods bumming, bird hunting, or bow hunting elk.

The 329 isn’t for everyone, but its one of my all time favorites.

Paul

MtGun44
08-09-2008, 03:38 AM
UH - I hate to be dumb, but what is "carryup" ? I thought I knew
revolver terminology fairly well, but I guess not.

I have no intention of doing the full Elmer loads in my 396. I plan on
moderately 'improved' loads, like 1000 fps for a 250 Keith or similar
levels.

Bill

Lloyd Smale
08-09-2008, 07:20 AM
very good point with these titanium guns. A gun can be to light. Sure there nice to stick in your pocket and walk all day because you dont even know there there. But personaly id trade carrying another lb to have the shootablility of a little heavier gun. My 396 was a real bugger to shoot well in the field. Its so light that every movent of your hand and even your heartbeat effected it more then any other gun ive shot. Like i said earlier i replaced it with an all stainless 696 that probably weights a lb or a little better more and is still a nice light gun. I weight 220 lbs and i probable vary more then two lbs day to day and carrying a 2 lb gun around sure isnt going to slow me down. Ive carried my 4 inch .500 linebaughs on my hip for days at a time and never knew it was there. I think these guns have some cool factor. Ill never forget my dads face when i tossed him the 396 and he thought he had caught a toy. But for me in the field ill take a good steal 3-5 inch da or sa gun. Ive tossed around buying a 329 since i got rid of my 396 but i know in the long run it would be left in the safe and id probably grab a 4 or 4 5/8s single action, especially when i had to rely on one to get me out of trouble.
It isn't about if you feel pain, either at the shot or later. I shot mostly 44 Special loads in it when I did. They felt very tolerable. When I noticed the problem, I even went to a glove. But I was developing bad habits of blinking and trigger pull that got to be too difficult to overcome, so I stopped.

I believe that it wasn't only recoil, but the weight of the gun itself. Cause I could develop the problem dry firing. Once I noticed the problem, it took almost a month to get back to normal. Now I shoot loads that produce the same exact recoil level in other guns and I am OK. It didn't stop until I put down that gun. Psychological?

Same thing happens when shooting even a 223. It screws with my ability to shoot 22LR to peak levels. It just takes the edge off of how good you can do. And we know that the 223 is not a recoil monster. So I shoot 22LR to keep me in check. Gun weight is an issue with 22s as well. My 52 is much easier to shoot than my T-bolt, but both can do equally well.

Both handguns and rifles can be TOO light. Problem is that just like guns are individuals, so are we. And you have to do, what you have to do if you have an issue macho or not. So for me, practice is done with other guns.

44man
08-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Yeh, a light gun is a pain to hold still. I hunt squirrels with my Mark II's and even with a red dot I can't hold them as steady anymore as I get older. Gun design is important too. Whitworth has the SRH in .475 and I can't hit long range for beans with it, it just never stops moving enough. Now my BFR, 7-1/2" .475 is perfect off hand and I can hit mighty small targets at 100 yd's.
My 10" barrel SBH is crazy! :roll: I can't keep the barrel from slowly heading down and have to keep lifting it back up.
But then my 45-70 BFR with a 10" barrel is easy to hold.
So weight is good but just a shift in balance can drive me nuts.
Combine bad balance with no weight and I would be better off throwing the thing. :mrgreen:

felix
08-09-2008, 09:27 AM
For any kind of offhand shooting, the gun must fit the shooter to a tee, just like the boolit fits the gun. If both not "perfect", all kinds of results can be expected, which depends on the day for both load and person. A double edged sword. ... felix

Paul105
08-09-2008, 10:19 AM
UH - I hate to be dumb, but what is "carryup" ? I thought I knew
revolver terminology fairly well, but I guess not.

I have no intention of doing the full Elmer loads in my 396. I plan on
moderately 'improved' loads, like 1000 fps for a 250 Keith or similar
levels.

Bill

"Carryup" is S&Ws word for what I used to call timing -- at full cock, the cylinder hasn't rotated far enough to lockup.

Those 1,000 fps 250gr Keiths are not "moderately improved" loads in the 396 -- they are not fun at all.

Paul

MtGun44
08-09-2008, 10:20 PM
OK - I learned a new term. :-D

I meant improved over the stock 700 fps loads, not that they would improve
the recoil. As a matter of fact I have only shot a few medium loads in the 396
and they were not bad, but I have mostly shot 200 gr & factory stuff. So, maybe
the 1000 fps 250 Keith (10 Unique comes to mind) will not be a nice load in
this one. I have shot a couple of cylinders full of 7.5 Unique under a 250 Keith,
and I can deal with that alright. I'm guessing that is about 850 fps or so from
the short barrel.

I may decide to keep the 396 loads down after I shoot it some more. I'll load
some 9 gr Unique and 503 Keith's tonight and take it to the range to see what
it is like.

Bill

HCL
10-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Well they got our indoor range opened back up. Drug my 329 along with multiple boxes of 44spc loads that I wanted to play with. Worked up a load that prints very close to my normal 310gr carry load. (offhand)
I did most of my testing off a rest on the bench. Near the end I loaded a cylinder full of those 310gr carry loads. Now remember I shoot this thing pretty regularly offhand and yes its recoil is not fun, but tolerable.
Ok, pulled the trigger (on rest/bench) with the 310gr loads, as it recoiled I could feel the backstrap slam into my bones in my hand, NOT a good thing, so figured I was not doing something right, got a better grip and shot one more. The recoil of this thing is almost completly strait back, very little muzzle flip.
I did not finish that cylinder off the bench, yes I am a sissy, Sally Girl, what every you want to call me but anything other than 44spc and under 240gr Mag loads that thing will never be shot off the bench again.
I can not describe the feeling other than I will not shoot the 310gr loads off a bench ever again! Offhand is tolerable, but off the bench, good grief look out.
This thing is still way too much fun offhand and really glad I picked it up. It has really good 25yrd zero, best to leave alone.
Mike

Heavy lead
10-20-2008, 09:03 PM
So HCL, before I buy one, should I take the grips off my 629, lock over a bench, and pull the trigger!
You're more a man than me, but it does sound fun. HE HE :Fire:

HCL
10-20-2008, 09:49 PM
You described exactly what it felt like, no grip at all! I would not recommend trying it.
I do think one of those full grips off a 500 is in short order.
Mike

MtGun44
10-22-2008, 01:14 AM
I ordered a S&W Hogue 500 special rubber grip last night from S&W's web site.

It will be interesting to see how effective it is at mitigating recoil on my 329.

Thanks for pointing out that this grip was out there, I had no idea.

Bill

S.R.Custom
10-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Let us know how it fits. I was under the impression that the 500 was a K/L size grip frame? (I read it in a gun rag somewhere.)

MtGun44
10-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Well, I thought so too, and look at the page. I read the bottom to mean
that it will fit all those models with round butts. These are K and Ls as
I make it. Wonder if the 329 has a K-L sized grip, or maybe it is stretchy
enough to still fit. May get to send it back!

Bill

Paul105
10-22-2008, 09:42 PM
They fit the 329 and really help reduce felt recoil. They also help with recoil on the 396, if you don't mind the extra bulk.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n172/Paul105_photo/SparksSimplyRug1.jpg

HCL
10-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Paul105;
Gald you posted that picture, was begining to wonder if I had got bad info. A guy at work said he has them on his 329 and loves them.
I will be ordering one very soon.

How do you like that Galco Summer Comfort holster? I have been eyeballing them pretty hard. Are they as advertised, "comfortable"?

Thanks
Mike

Paul105
10-22-2008, 11:17 PM
Mike,

It's a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2. It doesn't work for me with the 329. It is just fine for walking around, but, for me, it is very uncomfortable while sitting. Other folks swear by them, but it isn't compatible with my anatomy. I wear one of the 329s all day everyday, and have found the Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake to be ideal for me.

FWIW,

Paul

Shuz
10-23-2008, 09:54 AM
Paul,Mike--I have a set of X frame grips on my 329PD and they are wonderful! I use a Bianchi 5BHL holster for both the 329PD, my 4" 629-5, and Mtn Gun 629-4. I like the top strap feature for when I'm on my Honda CT110. Never can tell when that "bad boy" might buck me off!hee hee!--Shuz

MtGun44
10-23-2008, 10:22 PM
I carry my 4" 44s in a Bianchi Cyclone 111 crossdraw when on horseback and
when carrying a rifle on right shoulder. When hiking same holster goes strong
side. Best of both worlds. CD is fantastic when spending the whole day
in the saddle. Prolly a lot like on the "iron horse" 4 wheelers. 111 has a
thumb break to make sure you come home with that bad boy still on
your hip, not laying in the woods somewhere !

Bill

Paul105
10-24-2008, 09:15 AM
I agree with Bill regarding the Bianchi Cyclone 111 -- It is well made, compact, light weight, reasonably priced, readily available and very versitile. I have one set up for CD carry that is my dedicated rig when Bow Hunting elk in Montana.

For everyday carry, I have a Simply Rugged Sourdough pancake made for a 6" large frame single action. I carry it on my pants belt (1 1/2" Milt Sparks) with the bottom of the holster tucked into my right rear pocket. Set up this way, the holster will carry several different guns (including a 6" FA .475 LB). This makes a very comfortable, secure, and easily accessible carry method. With a 4" barrel, you can even sit comfortably with this setup.

FWIW,

Paul

MtGun44
10-27-2008, 09:29 PM
I received the S&W Hogue monogrip for the S&W 500 today. It fits the
329 roundbutt grip frame just perfectly. The grip is a bit bigger than I would
like, but that is the squishy part that is there to absorb and spread the
recoil. I still don't understand how the N-frame rd butt matches the X-frame
rd butt, which is supposed to be (and listed on the S&W site) for the K and
L round butt grip frames. I am starting to think that they are using exactly
the same grip frame dimensions for K, L, N and X frames now days.

Thanks for the folks that pointed this out, I would have never tried it without
your help. :drinks:

Bill

HCL
11-18-2008, 02:29 AM
Worked up a plesant and accurate load for that 329pd. 429244gc (250grs naked) over 22grs h110, cci350. plesant offhand, single or double handed. Did not shoot it off the bench, the last experiance is still way too clear in my mind.
With the 629 it is not bad off the bench..

Bill;
have you tried those grips yet? I have not got around to ordering them yet, but very close to the top of my to-do list
Thanks
Mike

MtGun44
11-19-2008, 01:05 AM
Yes. They are an improvement, but do increase the reach to the
trigger noticably. I think I'll keep them on the gun, the recoil
reduction is good. Only one short test so far, but they do improve
things. Basically an air pocket where the web between the thumb
and first knuckle helps absorb the smack of the recoil.

Bill

HCL
01-03-2009, 01:58 AM
Picked up a Simply Rugged Sourdough pancake holster for this thing. Probally the most comfortable holster I own. Fit and finish is fantastic.
Funny the guy that makes these things is only about 10 miles from me and I never knew it.
Still have not ordered the grips, on my list to do.
Mike

imashooter2
01-03-2009, 10:59 AM
I have a 360 and so far haven't shot lead in it. My concern is scrubbing the titanium cylinder. Seems some of you gentlemen have long experience... How to the cylinders hold up to a serious brushing or some Chore Boy on the cylinder face?

S.R.Custom
01-03-2009, 04:47 PM
...My concern is scrubbing the titanium cylinder. Seems some of you gentlemen have long experience... How to the cylinders hold up to a serious brushing or some Chore Boy on the cylinder face?

DON'T DO THAT!

While titanium itself is pretty atomic stuff, it is a fairly porous metal, and has a real problem with high heat and pressure. If left untreated, it will erode on the face of the cylinder in very short order. To get past this, S&W invented (and patented) a process by which the titanium is, for want of better terminology, surface hardened. That's the flat grey surface on the cylinder.

Smith & Wesson specifically says in the manual not to use aggressive cleaning methods (scotch brite pads, etc.), as they will strip this surface treatment and expose your cylinder to the afore-mentioned erosion. DOING SO WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

While S&W doesn't say anything in their manual about brass brushes, it is interesting to note that when the titanium guns first came out, the manuals said not to use those either. They've obviously backed off that caveat, but I'm still wary. I personally restrict my cleaning of the cylinder to chemical means. If I get lead build-up in the cylinder throats, a couple cylinder-fulls of light jacketed ammo seams to smear the lead right out. (After I've brushed the lead out of the bore.)

Somewhat related: Since these guns are so much more susceptible to erosion and flame cutting, I restrict my use of propellant to single base powders, as they burn a couple of hundred degrees cooler than nitroglycerin fortified double base powders, and as such, should be easier on the guns. (Erosion is caused by heat and pressure, so reducing the heat reduces the erosion.) My personal faves for this gun are SR4756 --it burns like Herco, a tad slower than Unique-- for mid-velocity, lead bullet 'utility' loads. For full power loads, I use either one of the 4227 powders. This single-base powder strategy seems to be working; after about 1500 utility loads and 500 full-power loads through my 386, I've seen zero indication of any erosion on either the cylinder face or the strap clip. As always, YMMV.

For those more interested in this titanium/erosion thing, here's a link to the on-line patent. It quite nicely describes the problem, and S&W's solution to it. Scroll down past the ads...

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6267825.html

[Edit] Oh yeah, forgot to mention... if you burn up a titanium cylinder and send the gun back to S&W for repair, they replace the cylinder with a stainless steel unit... ;)

Dale53
01-03-2009, 07:08 PM
SuperMag;
That is exactly the kind of information that everyone concerned should be happy to get. I don't have a titanium cylindered revolver at this time but it may happen in the future. I, for one, when/if that time comes will be greatful for the information. It will be chemicals and nylon brushes only for me. That is for sure.

Dale53

imashooter2
01-04-2009, 01:20 AM
Thanks SuperMag. I guess it'll be jacketed only for my 360.

jnovotny
01-04-2009, 12:01 PM
A buddy of mine that, guides in colorado, has one of these he carrys. We were out shooting one day .44 specials and he slipped a full .44mag in one of the chambers, unbeknownst to me, well it was akin to the 500 not any fun. He however laughed rather loudly and a bit too long. With freinds like that I don't need any enemys.

airtoad
04-15-2009, 07:26 AM
I had mine mag-na-ported and had a trigger job done, I love it,yes, full magnum loads will stick in the cylinder and are a brut to shoot. I've been loading a 310gr hard cast on top of 7.5 grs of titegroup, and get a consistent 900fps,It's not uncommon for me to put 300rds through it on a range day. Very accurate, very controllable with fantastic penetration. Remember Ti is used in every turbine engine and subject to incredible temps for thousands of hours,Ti is used in aircraft engines because of its resistence to erosion and extreme temperature swings

Shuz
04-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Remember to keep your eye on the top strap shield for wear. Good luck with your 329.