PDA

View Full Version : My dumb question of the day. Which rifle?

Biggin
08-03-2017, 10:26 PM
Hi guys or girls. I'm considering a new lever gun in 357. I'm generally a marlin guy . However I've been looking at the new Henry rifles or maybe a Rossi 92. I want something for plinking, playing and woods running. Should I get one of those or be on the lookout for a marlin 1894c?

pworley1
08-03-2017, 10:37 PM
I have the Rossi, and have not had any problems.

Hannibal
08-03-2017, 10:37 PM
I bought a Henry .357 Big Boy. I was VERY impressed with the fit and finish. And it would shoot just about anything well at 50 yds. BUT. Shooting anything at 100 yds was like . . . flying to Mars.

Turns out the barrel had constrictions at every dovetail for the sights and magazine tube. I lapped the barrel myself. It shoots considerably better. But it is not . .. enviable.

I did not contact Henry about my findings. I do not have any idea what they may or may not have offered to do. Nor do I know if this condition is common, or if I just got a bad barrel.

Nor do I know how many members of this forum shoot a .357 lever action rifle out to 100 yds recording 10 shot groups and counting all 10. No 'Fliers' allowed.

I hope this information is helpful.

rancher1913
08-04-2017, 01:31 AM
I would like to get an Alaska take down, would probably fit what your are wanting to do. think its made by Chippewa.

dragon813gt
08-04-2017, 05:02 AM
Out of those choices Marlin is the only one I would consider. I know many like their Rossi's. But I'm not a fan at all. Henry's are a non starter due to no loading gate.

Biggin
08-04-2017, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the replies that helps a lot!

Beagle333
08-04-2017, 09:16 AM
Put me down for Marlin 1894c. I love mine. I have a Rossi 92 in .45 and it's nice too, but I wouldn't trade my 1894c for it.

dverna
08-04-2017, 09:19 AM
Out of those choices Marlin is the only one I would consider. I know many like their Rossi's. But I'm not a fan at all. Henry's are a non starter due to no loading gate.

What he said.

Dan Cash
08-04-2017, 09:33 AM
Like the OP, I can't show for the Henry with no loading gate. I have an older Puma (Rossi) in .45 but accuracy is nothing to write home about. On the other hand, my Marlin (JM) 94 in .32-20 is a superb little rifle. I often think about turning the Rossi Puma into a Marlin .357.

hanleyfan
08-04-2017, 02:27 PM
I have had 6 marlins levers in the past 20 years and they all were unreliable, some did not shoot accurately and others were accurate but they all the the same problem called the marlin jam. I am talking about the center-fire rifles, the .22s I have never had a problem with them.

sac
08-04-2017, 03:29 PM
Hi guys or girls. I'm considering a new lever gun in 357. I'm generally a marlin guy . However I've been looking at the new Henry rifles or maybe a Rossi 92. I want something for plinking, playing and woods running. Should I get one of those or be on the lookout for a marlin 1894c?

I don't know what you are using it for, but Miroku 1873 are nice but limited on pressure.

Harter66
08-04-2017, 04:40 PM
I had an 1894CB . It shot very well with every load that shot well in the old M10 Smith and Sec 6 357 . With 357s and centering the bbl band in the V , lobbing shots to 300 yd for grins would have fallen into 24" . Dad had an A5 Mag I thought I wanted more . Cartridges as short as 38 WC , a 9x23 rimmed if you want , out to as long as will come up the elevator . The only jam I had was with 15 of the shorts in the magazine that would hold only 10 357 and 11 38s . It wouldn't feed a short/S&W/new police/38-200 .

A friend of mine has a 24" M92' Rossi SS . It shoots well , 4" gongs with 125,130,158 factory jackets in 357 RN,SWC or HP at 50 and 100 yd were easy to do consistently ...... But ..... It feeds 38s like dumping large mouth Mason jars . Seriously it'll run 5-6 of 10 in the air just to empty the tube . I've tinkered off and on with polish of parts but it still fumbles 357s and requires sort of a double bump, slow start, back off and quick step to chamber . Going fast first results in a case mouth flat and lock up until it's ejected going slow has the same results after the bump . Heavy roll crimped over a wadcutter shoulder will feed single stroke not too fast not to slow . We have 2 other 92's in 45 Colts that that aside from not liking RP brass display none of the above regardless of bullet shape , crimp ,weight or case length . I've even fed them Schofield cases and trimmed Hornady LevEvolution cases a Schofield length .

Jorge has 2 Henry's , a 30-30 and 45 Colts both are like greased glass . The 30-30 hangs a little in the heat we're having now and but as a second hand gun I suspect it needs a deep thorough cleaning . The 45 port feeds well but not so much the 30-30 .

Any of these would be a good choice . There are some Winchester 94's around in 38/357 as well . When I purchased the Marlin it was on the new rack with the 94's . If only I'd known that 18 months later Winchester would drop the 94' I'd have bought 2 and the Marlin .

Kraschenbirn
08-04-2017, 05:30 PM
I've got both an older 'JM' Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag and a Rossi M92 in .357. and am quite fond of both. The Marlin, though, is a Microgroove and quite picky on ammo; accuracy with PC'd 200 gr. RNFPs sized to .432 is 'acceptable'...'minute of 2 liter jug' @ 100 yds with iron sights (Wilson aperture rear/Marble front)...but it really prefers JBs. The Rossi, on the other hand, feeds whatever I stuff into the magazine...357s or .38s...and will print inside 2" @ 50 yds using the factory sights. As has been mentioned, even 'slicked up', the Rossi action isn't quite as smooth as the Marlin's but nothing I can't live with. If I had to pick between the two for 'recreational' shooting, I'd probably go with the Rossi. On the other hand, one of my nephews has an early vintage .357 Marlin that I've been trying to talk him out of for something over twenty years...

Have never owned one but have shot a couple of Henrys and don't care for their 'feel'; maybe the way they balance or maybe their length of pull or some combination, but they just don't 'point' for me like the Marlin or Rossi...or my Win '94 30-30, for that matter.

Bill

DerekP Houston
08-04-2017, 05:49 PM
I wanted a henry but couldn't justify it at the time, my rossi 92 has performed like a champ after I slicked it up.

Grmps
08-04-2017, 06:12 PM
I have had 6 marlins levers in the past 20 years and they all were unreliable, some did not shoot accurately and others were accurate but they all the the same problem called the marlin jam. I am talking about the center-fire rifles, the .22s I have never had a problem with them.

I'm sorry if I sound a little confused, IF you had such bad luck with the Marlins why did you buy 6 of them :roll: :confused: :veryconfu

merlin101
08-04-2017, 06:37 PM
I recently picked up a Henry in .357/38 and overall happy with it. It's smooth action right out of the box, and functions fine with any round nose boolit I've tried so far. The only thing I don't like about it is I had to drift the sights quite always and I hate it when the sights are off center. I've been thinking about ordering up a set of fiber optic sights and grinding down one side so it would give the illusion that they are centered.

Randy Bohannon
08-04-2017, 07:09 PM
The Win/Miroku is the best of the 73's better than the Italian copies,73's are not a strong action regardless of who built it.

I don't know what you are using it for, but Miroku 1873 are nice but limited on pressure.

Biggin
08-04-2017, 07:42 PM
Thanks again for the replies. I'll probably get a Rossi with and eye out for a good used Marlin. I think I want a loading gate. It's likely to end up a truck gun .

Biggin
08-04-2017, 07:50 PM
I should say it will probably used as a truck gun as well��

hanleyfan
08-05-2017, 03:21 PM
I'm sorry if I sound a little confused, IF you had such bad luck with the Marlins why did you buy 6 of them :roll: :confused: :veryconfu

I never keep a gun very long unless it impresses me, being of low income I have to sell or trade if I want to try a new gun, I only bought one marlin new myself and the others came through trades. marlins were never considered a high end gun until recently which I don't understand myself. rossi and marlins was all I could afford at the time so that is what I got regardless of their short comings.

Texas by God
08-05-2017, 04:37 PM
Marlin. I have a Rossi but I'd rather have a Marlin. I've had the opposite experience of hanleyfan- I've owned Marlin levers from .22 LR to 45-70 and they were all accurate; all reliable. At least twenty of them have gone through my hands and I 'll get another someday.
Best, Thomas.

OverMax
08-05-2017, 05:30 PM
After a purchase of a Rossi. Consider having this fellow slick up the action. Once returned. You wouldn't trade your rifle for a Marlin or even a pre Winchester 94.
https://store.stevesgunz.com/

DerekP Houston
08-05-2017, 06:10 PM
After a purchase of a Rossi. Consider having this fellow slick up the action. Once returned. You wouldn't trade your rifle for a Marlin or even a pre Winchester 94.
https://store.stevesgunz.com/

His DVD is the one I followed to slick mine up at home, highly recommend it

17nut
08-05-2017, 06:40 PM

And if you google it, there is umpteen remedies but it works 100% with a little tweek.

My 1972 (i have owned it for 8) 94 in 44MAG is close to 5k rounds and no jams here.
If you short stroke it you might get a slight jam, that is by Stevens design, Browning made it rattles but work 100% all the time.
I know because i have a 1903 94 in 32-40 and that thing just plain works, yes there is jiggle and rattle but it works like a slotmachine. Drop it in and pull the handle, but if you're good the pay back is way better ;-)

If it were me i would go for a Winchester 94. Made in Japan by Miroku wich makes some damn fine guns if you ask me!

MyFlatline
08-09-2017, 08:32 PM
Own 2 Marlins and 1 Henry, the Henry is hands down smoother and less picky on the bullet profile. The loading gate is a non issue to me. I don't see myself hunkered down behind my dead horse fighting off injuns any time soon.

bob208
08-10-2017, 06:23 PM
I picked up a rossi about 20 years ago in .357 at a auction. never did any thing to it but shoot it and it shoots great .38s and .357.

Plainsman
08-16-2017, 01:36 PM
Marlin Jam=Operator ERROR! (Or a worn out carrier! Watch for CAS guns.)
Ive been using Marlin leveractions since 1984 and the oldest was made in the 60's or 70's. I currently own TWO and the so called Marlin Jam is caused by short stroking the lever.
I'm not the only person that believes this...
http://levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=19411

MyFlatline
08-16-2017, 06:07 PM
Marlin Jam=Operator ERROR! (Or a worn out carrier! Watch for CAS guns.)
Ive been using Marlin leveractions since 1984 and the oldest was made in the 60's or 70's. I currently own TWO and the so called Marlin Jam is caused by short stroking the lever.
I'm not the only person that believes this...
http://levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=19411
Carrier, Carrier Rocker and lever can all cause mechanical issues. Most all my rifles are Marlins, I fix a lot of em. It's my passion.

hornady308
08-16-2017, 08:10 PM
I had a Marlin and now have a Rossi. They both work fine, but I prefer the 92 action. The Rossi can handle some rather stout loads using the Ranch Dog 359-190-rf boolit. This should take care of any deer I encounter at woods ranges.