PDA

View Full Version : GOEX Cartridge grade

waksupi
07-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Anyone tried the GOEX cartridge grade powder? I have a pound here I won at a shoot, and hadn't played with it before.
I tried out a half dozen different loads last weekend, and couldn't get a group under 3.5". My old standby load with GOEX 3f and kicker, went into under an inch.
Does this stuff work for anyone? Right now, I would say ther remainder of the pound is going to be used in my hand cannon.

Don McDowell
07-30-2008, 11:52 PM
Rick,
68 grs of Cartridge, a .030 fiber wad and either a lyman postell or an rcbs 82084,lubed with sagebrush alox, seated to the driving band in ww 45-70 cases and sparked with winchester large rifle primers , will shoot groups at or near 2 inches at 270 yds, and if you post them on one of the bpcr channels D Phariss will waste no time in calling you a liar.:-D That load will also carry out to 1000 yds well enough you can give the big boys a scare, and 6 of em will remove the bullseye paint from the 650 yd kite at Alliance.
58 grs with a lyman snover works ok in a 40-65.

It shoots about 50 fps slower than 2f express.

I only shoot about 3/4 of a case of it a year tho, so I may not have enough experience to speak on it well:-D:mrgreen:

NickSS
07-31-2008, 04:48 AM
I have use cartrige grade GOEX and found that it gave good results. I had to change the amount I compressed the load compared to plain GOEX 2f but once I found the right amount it shoot every bit as good. It also burned a little cleaner as I recall. However, after shooting a case of the stuff I decided that it gave no real advantage for me over the cheaper FFG GOEX so I went back to the old powder. By the way I tried Swiss and if I was only shooting silhouette I would be using it for all my target loads. However, I mostly shoot other types of targets and I find little advantage compared to the price difference between Swiss and regular FFG GOEX. As a result my silhouette rifle shoots Swiss everything else GOEX.

August
07-31-2008, 11:22 AM
63 grains, lightly compressed under a .060 walter's wad and 490 grain Lyman Mathew's bore-rider (seated WAY out) shoots minute of gong all the way out to the rams with my 45-70 BPCR. Consistently.

I use Goex CTG exclusively and have found it to be very consistent. I don't find fines at the bottom of the can like other grades of Goex. I believe they screen this grade more carefully.

I cannot explain your difficulties, but, then, I don't know what load you're using.

Goex CTG is my go-to powder.

montana_charlie
07-31-2008, 12:41 PM
I won't suggest any particular weight of powder for you because I don't know what cartridge you are shooting. But, using Goex Cartridge, I found a very accurate (100 yard) load with 79 grains in my 45/90. More 'experienced' guys have said that the powder needs in excess of .3 inches of compression to burn most cleanly.

I have not loaded any charges that were heavy enough to acheive that amount of compression, but 85 grains does not seem to shoot groups (for me) as tight those I get with 79 grains.

In addition to the small groups, I have recorded some very satisfying ES and SD Chrony readings with Cartridge. To my mind, any powder that will produce low ES readings should be able to make trustworthy ammunition.

I don't know sheepdip from Shinola about lot numbers, but I remember hearing that some of the old Cartridge (a lot number from several years ago) did not seem to be as good as it should have been. I hope you didn't win some of that.

CM

shooter575
07-31-2008, 10:01 PM
I got 20 lb or so of the stuff given to me.I tried to use the same as my regular goex and it did not work well.But I did not play with the compression any diffrent.That was in 44-40 and 45-70.Just have not had time to mess with it after that.My lot was from 1998 so it was some of the early batches.
I also tried in a smith carbine and a couple .58 M/L...That was a failure! Fouled real bad in both,

John Boy
07-31-2008, 10:25 PM
I'm a fan of Goex CTG. Here's my Lucky Target (most of the guys have seen it before) ...

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Targets/PDRM2558.jpg

Using Postells and CTG - have had good results also at 200 - 300 - 500m - 600 and 1000yds.

I've found it works better if it is sifted (socked) before using for reloading.

August, here's the granulation mix of CTG:

Goex Cartridge – (05-37) 02OC07B
12 mesh – 0.62% retained
14 mesh – 0.03% retained
20 mesh – 97.54% retained
30 mesh – 01.70% retained
Through – 0.11%

waksupi
07-31-2008, 11:30 PM
I was loading it in my .45-70, and went from no compression, to serious compression. Also tried various crimp tensions on one of the more promising loads, but no joy. I would say once this pound is gone, it will be an experiment tried, and in the past, for me. When I can shoot the regular GOEX with good results, I see no need to play with the glazed edition.
Thanks for the input!

longhorn
08-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Primers? Federal 210M ("match") work best with my asian Browning BPCR with Cartridge. I haven't tried any other in the Shiloh, it likes 'em fine. Tried a buncha different ones with the BPCR.........

August
08-02-2008, 09:14 AM
Perhaps I should have added that, the more gradual I make the ignition, the more consistently the powder performs. Presently, I'm using a newsprint over-primer wad with W-W standard pistol primers.

SharpsShooter
08-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Rick,

I use Cartridge Grade for several 45-70's and 45 colt also with very good results. My pet Sharps load will put 10 shots into a 1.5" group at 100yds regularly. I use .525" compression and federal 215 to light it off.
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r255/SharpsShooter_photos/10shot4570GroupNASA.jpg

SS

waksupi
08-02-2008, 03:11 PM
So far, it looks like it is a real tinkers powder!

Don McDowell
08-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Rick I didn't need to do anything any different with Cartridge than I did with plain ol 2f.
Bill Bagwell told me when they were developing cartridge the recipe they hit on with it, was the first one that he could fire 10 rounds in a 45-70 and still push a dry patch down the bore. I've tried that same thing and it works, just fine.
I have shot quite abit of the 2f Express, but accuracy wise I can't really justify the price difference over Cartridge.

I still have a goodly amount of the old Goex (late 70's vintage) 2f ,our departed friend Ron Carr gave me several years back. I keep hanging on to it ,not sure why, but dang its good powder and I hate to shoot it up

waksupi
08-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Don, you mentioned Muley. By any chance, are you any relation to Kendall and Judie?

Don McDowell
08-02-2008, 11:22 PM
No , not that we could ever figure within a couple of generations anyway. When I lived at Tipton, those McDowells and I visited once in awhile, but for some odd reason we never did get together at a Rondyvoos or shoot.

waksupi
08-03-2008, 02:14 PM
I was just curious. I spent many enjoyable evenings around the campfire with them both.

Don McDowell
08-04-2008, 12:04 AM
Rick I think that's probably the biggest thing missing from the bpcr shoots, there really isn't anything like at Rondy's with the counsel fires, and various deals around camp. Seems the atmosphere at a bpcr shoot is just a bit more highstrung, than a bunch of buckskinners getting together.
But trying to swat those 1000 yd gongs can sure turn into a seriuos addiction.