PDA

View Full Version : powder/primer rule of thumb

rancher1913
08-03-2017, 05:56 PM
little worried with this whole north Korea thing and the way its escalating so want to stock up on powder and primers but don't want to be overly heavy on one so is there a rule of thumb as to how much powder per primer, like say one pound of powder is good for one brick of primers.

I know the larger rifles will take more powder and the smaller pistols will take less so don't over confuse this. I know you could spend all day calculating loads and get it down to a science but all I want is generalizations. maybe split it into 2 categories, rifle and pistol.

really don't want to have to make a spread sheet and get super precise and different powders meter differently so a fellow could spend days and still be off-base if he changes up the powder.

just figured some of you diehard reloaders might have a general rule of thumb when you are stocking up for the long haul.

psweigle
08-03-2017, 06:08 PM
Nope, it truely depends on the powder to round application.

salty dog
08-03-2017, 06:09 PM
As you suspect there will be a huge spread depending in the load. Even with handguns, you can have a 38 special load below 3 grains to a 44 mag load over 20. But at an average pistol load of 5 grains, that will be 1400 rounds per pound of powder. With an average load in a rifle round like a 223, that will be about 250 rounds per pound of powder, and it would quickly fall to around 100 rounds with monster cases like the big magnums. So a very large range, depends a lot on what you load.

GrayTech
08-03-2017, 06:18 PM
No rule of thumb I know of.

dbosman
08-03-2017, 06:30 PM
Particularly good advice on a forum regularly indexed by web crawlers. Of all kinds. ;-)

No rule of thumb I know of. Guess you can't go wrong with the legal limit.

Grmps
08-03-2017, 06:44 PM
write down:
the calibers you want to load for
choose an accurate powder (that give you the most loads per pound) and write down loads per pound for each powder
or most efficient/versatile powder and write down loads per pound for each powder

figure how many rounds you want to possibly load for each caliber

then do the math

rancher1913
08-03-2017, 06:54 PM
guess you missed the not into heavy math with many variables part of my post :mrgreen:

I get that you can do the math for a single caliber with a certain powder but what I was wondering was there a EASY way to make a swag correlation for stocking up

ShooterAZ
08-03-2017, 07:04 PM
Here's the EASY way right here, "buy it cheap and stack it deep". I got prepared for the distinct possibility of Hillery getting elected, so I'm good for quite a while. Eight pounders of my favorite powders, and cases and cases of primers. Can't ever have too much right?

shooter93
08-03-2017, 07:07 PM
If you're worried about stocking up then just pick the 2,3 or 4 calibers you shoot the most and figure it out for them. Not many plink with 458's 375's etc. so don't worry about them so much. So pick the few you intend to shoot a lot. I've been really narrowing down the powders I use to as few as possible which allows you to cover most anything you shoot. Two that come to mind are Unique and IMR 4895. With those two powders you can load a suitable load for a huge number of calibers. I don't think there is going to be a big run on components again despite the North Koreans.

Echo
08-03-2017, 07:39 PM
Here's the EASY way right here, "buy it cheap and stack it deep". I got prepared for the distinct possibility of Hillery getting elected, so I'm good for quite a while. Eight pounders of my favorite powders, and cases and cases of primers. Can't ever have too much right?
A Big Plus ONE!

bedbugbilly
08-03-2017, 08:23 PM
There is no EASY or SHORT CUTS in life. If you have certain calibers that you feel you MUST be able to load and shoot - then do some simple math and figure it out. A pound of powder contains 7,000 grains. Pick a powder that you use and is available and divide your average load in to the 7,000 grains. Take Bulls Eye for example. Use the average load of 3.5 grains (for most loads - you may load lighter but for simplicity sake, use the3.5 grains). 3.5 divided in to 7,000 grains is going to give you 2,000 loads (if you don't spill any). So for every pound of BE buy two bricks of primers.

If you don't want to take the time to figure it out - then I guess buy what you think - but chances are, you're going to run out of primers before you run out of powder OR, you're going to run out of power before you run out of primers . . . . but that's just figuring it out the "easy" way. :-)

No offense intended - it's just that everybody's situation is different depending on what they have gunwise, caliber wise and what they're loads are . . . . but just remember that it takes more than primer and powder to make cartridges/shells - don't forget to lay in a good load of brass and lead too. And if everyone looks ahead and starts hoarding early, then maybe the shortage of supplies can be expedited? LOL

Bullwolf
08-03-2017, 08:58 PM
If math isn't your strong suit...

This is a nice chart, that you can print out on Darkcanyon.net

http://www.darkcanyon.net/loadsperpound.html

In this style of format.

Number Of Loads Per Pound Based On Powder Charge (in grains)

Charge - Loads/Lb

1.0 grains - 7000
1.5 grains - 4666
2.0 grains - 3500
2.5 grains - 2800
3.0 grains - 2300
3.5 grains - 2000
4.0 grains - 1750
4.5 grains - 1555
5.0 grains - 1400
5.5 grains - 1272
6.0 grains - 1166
6.5 grains - 1076
7.0 grains - 1000
7.5 grains - 933
8.0 grains - 875
8.5 grains - 823
9.0 grains - 777
9.5 grains - 736

And so on.
Assuming no spillage of course.

- Bullwolf

funnyjim014
08-03-2017, 09:03 PM
Just buy a little here and there and slowly build a good supply. Buy it cheep and stack it deep.....there is a thing as too much....it includes a box truck if u have to move it all lol

lefty o
08-03-2017, 09:07 PM
good rule of thumb is #1000 of powder, and 100,000 primers. that should keep ya going for a while. LOL

dragon813gt
08-03-2017, 09:18 PM
So North Korea is gonna be the catalyst for the next run on reloading items.......great.

M-Tecs
08-03-2017, 09:34 PM
So North Korea is gonna be the catalyst for the next run on reloading items.......great.

Due to the extreme number of artillery North Korea has on the DMZ and nukes if it does happen it will not be a protracted shooting war.

lefty o
08-03-2017, 10:39 PM
someone could sneeze wrong and we will have another panic and ensuing run on guns, ammo, and reloading supplies.

runfiverun
08-04-2017, 12:46 AM
I figure 200grs per bullet.
50grs per rifle...jacketed.
18grs per rifle... cast.
the same 18grs..... revolver [a bit high but good for my guns] jacketed
and then for the light stuff and Pistols 4.5 grs per is a good medium between 9mm and 45 acp/38 type rounds.

if you shoot shot guns then you know what those take.

rancher1913
08-04-2017, 12:55 AM
good rule of thumb is #1000 of powder, and 100,000 primers. that should keep ya going for a while. LOL

well at least you understood what I was getting at :drinks:

rancher1913
08-04-2017, 01:01 AM
I don't know if the whole korea thing will be a issue or a non-issue, just don't want to get cought like after sandy hook, and for once have a little money to invest in powder and primers, figure now is as good as time as ever to stock it deep as you guys like to say and I have ideal storage conditions so it will outlast me. I was good a long time ago on brass and lead.

mold maker
08-04-2017, 08:36 AM
There's no simple answer. It all depends on what you intend to shoot and %s. A rule that is dependent on so many variables isn't a rule.
You may very well be right about the next scare being sooner than later and stocking up now might be prudent.
If it includes the little fat kid with the scared barber, more than powder and primers may be affected. Food supplies and plastics may also be involved.
This generation hasn't experienced shortages for the war effort and doesn't understand the dynamics involved. If it happens there will be panic buying with artificial shortages created.
How many remember when Johnny Carson announced a shortage of toilet paper, and suddenly there was none available on store shelves?

DerekP Houston
08-04-2017, 08:43 AM
guess you missed the not into heavy math with many variables part of my post :mrgreen:

I get that you can do the math for a single caliber with a certain powder but what I was wondering was there a EASY way to make a swag correlation for stocking up

For my powder puff loads of 3.0 - 3.5gr for pistols, I generally figure around 2 bricks per lb of powder. Depends on the powder of course but thats my swag.

BrassMagnet
08-04-2017, 12:05 PM
If you're worried about stocking up then just pick the 2,3 or 4 calibers you shoot the most and figure it out for them. Not many plink with 458's 375's etc. so don't worry about them so much. So pick the few you intend to shoot a lot. I've been really narrowing down the powders I use to as few as possible which allows you to cover most anything you shoot. Two that come to mind are Unique and IMR 4895. With those two powders you can load a suitable load for a huge number of calibers. I don't think there is going to be a big run on components again despite the North Koreans.

I choose this post to expand on because he hits many really good points quick!

1. Common powders and common primers for flexibility.

2. Almost any cartridge can be reloaded with cast boolits and Unique. Shotguns, too! Also the first powder to be found out of stock in a shortage!

3. This link is to an article by C.E. Harris on universal cast boolit loads for military rifles:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?13425-Cast-Bullet-Loads-for-Military-Rifles-Article

2400 is a good powder for this and uses less by weight than 4895. Other powders are also listed as good for either plain base use or gas checked use. Do remember that when the gas checks run out you are done with loading gas checked boolit loads. Gas check maker? sheet copper or sheet aluminum?

4. Certain calibers in certain firearms work with many different loads and any safe load data. Think revolvers, lever, and bolt actions. Certain calibers in certain firearms are poor choices unless you are working from proven data in your firearms. Think semi-autos!

5. I once picked out a powder listed in the Sierra manual for all of the rifle calibers I believed I would reload. When I went to load the last on the list I found there was a 1 grain spread from min to max with a fairly wide change in velocity. Can you say "poor performer" fast enough to stay away from this problem?

6. How about some decimal point shifting rules of thumb you can take to the bank?

At 20 grains you get 350 per pound.
At 2 grains you get 3500 per pound.
20/# can be used with 2400 while 2/# can be used with Bullseye. With Bullseye, you can frequently fit five or more loads in a case before spilling.
Using these two decimal point shifting rules you could pair two pounds of Bullseye and 7000 small pistol primers with a 40 or 45 grain .224 mould and get 22 LR equivalent performance out of a 22 Hornet if you had boolit alloy and lube.
For military calibers following the load data linked in #3 above you could pair eight pounds of 2400 with 3000 large rifle primers.

At 50 grains you get 140 per pound.
At 5 grains you get 1400 per pound.
Using these two decimal point shifting rules you could pair seven pounds of Unique and 10000 small pistol primers with most cast 38 Special boolits and get good revolver performance if you had boolit alloy and lube.
Or you could pair seven pounds of Blue Dot and 5000 small pistol primers with most cast 357 Magnum boolits and get good revolver performance if you had boolit alloy and lube. Or 14 pounds of Blue Dot and 10000 small pistol primers with most cast 357 Magnum boolits and get good revolver performance if you had boolit alloy and lube.
Using these two decimal point shifting rules you could pair seven pounds of rifle powder and 1000 large rifle primers with most cast or jacketed rifle data where the powder charge is near 50 grains.

gwpercle
08-04-2017, 12:16 PM
It's like money or good looks....you can never have too much.
Whenever you find them...buy them. Keep stock piling until the wife threatens to leave , the children have an intervention , the State Fire Marshal cites you for keeping to many explosives or you find yourself on an episode of "Hoaders"....only then will you have enough .
Gary

Smoke4320
08-04-2017, 12:26 PM
I would start with
8 LBS of Unique, 2400 and Blue dot
plus 10,000 each large and small rifle and pistol primers ..

with the above I can pretty well find a load to shoot out of all my guns .. may not be the most accurate or the fastest but I CAN shoot and do so for several years

then add to that as it comes available
my goal or stopping point is 16 lbs of each powder and 20,000 primers each

thxmrgarand
08-04-2017, 12:58 PM
Forgive me for a comment that is somewhat off the topic but the best way to ensure we stay out of the hoarding mentality is to work hard for and support in all ways candidates for public office who genuinely understand the 2nd Amendment and why it was and continues to be both needed and fundamental to our way of life in America. Just think how we might be hoarding ammo and components, and hiding our guns had Hillary been elected and had she now appointed judges!

rancher1913
08-04-2017, 05:07 PM
Thanks Ron, that was interesting. I like your thinking smoke, but I added some bullseye as well

mold maker
08-05-2017, 01:27 PM
If the question is on your mind, ya still need more. Kidding of course.
Storage will dictate "enough". If you're young and active, "enough" will be different from us older folks.
How many really close friends or family depend on, or will share in what's left? How long do you think your shooting level will last?
Can you safely store, without degradation, what you have or more?
Enough is a purely subjective matter. It is a personal choice, and no-one else can suggest more than an opinion.

Love Life
08-05-2017, 03:08 PM
7,000 grains in a pound. You can do the math based off of that and which calibers you load.

For 45 acp I use bullseye. 4.5 Gr per round. 8 lbs X 7,000 divided by 4.5 tells me how many rds I can load which tells me how many primers I need for an 8 lb jug of bullseye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FISH4BUGS
08-07-2017, 05:54 AM
Pretty simple - I buy in bulk period.
Since casting and shooting pistol caliber machine guns (not counting the M16) is my main source of burning up powder and primers, I buy by 8 lb'ers by the case (4 per) and split it with a friend. Powder Valley waives hazmat fees if you buy a case.
Primers are bought in not less than 5000 lots, sometimes 10,000 at a pop.
223 bullets by the 2000+ lots (bought 5,000 once on a sale) and 308's by the 1000.
I keep my powder choices simple - WW231 for standard pistol loads, WW296 for magnum loads and WW748 for 223 and 308. Primers are usually Winchester because Powder Valley sells them reasonably.
Lead? I have more wheel weights than I will use in my lifetime. Ten years of scrounging brought a nice stash.
Stack 'em deep and never let your self run low. You will use it up eventually anyway so invest in your inventory.

JBinMN
08-07-2017, 10:25 AM
FISH4BUGS....
Some folks like me can't afford to buy in bulk like you describe . I would love to & would have, back when I was making the $$, but at this point in my life, it is not in the cards. It was not in the cards when I had 2 young sons to raise either. Only after they left for the military & such, did more $$ come available & at that time I just bought my rounds & shells for hunting & fun. Even though I still had the re-loading equip. So, I am likely not the only one that would love to do the bulk buying like you do, but the $$ are not there most of the time. Sounds great though!
;)

7,000 grains in a pound. You can do the math based off of that and which calibers you load.

For 45 acp I use bullseye. 4.5 Gr per round. 8 lbs X 7,000 divided by 4.5 tells me how many rds I can load which tells me how many primers I need for an 8 lb jug of bullseye.

As far as primers to powder, ( & lead) I have always used the method Love Life above mentioned(^quoted^).
I usually buy powders about 4-5 each kind I want to get for $90 - $120+/- in basically pound containers, & primers to match what I plan to shoot with those powders. [ I have already built up a bit of a stash of most of what I need for 6-12 months of shooting, so now it is buy as I/we shoot, & extras when stuff is on sale if I/we can afford it.]

Everyones situation is likely different, but the doing the math for the average amount you will use per cartridge for what ya shoot should work for everyone.

G'luck! whichever way ya do it.
:)

Houndog
08-07-2017, 06:20 PM
Most folks don't take the caliber of their weapons into consideration when planning for a SHTF or during shortages. A 4.5 or 5.0 grain load of Unique works equally well in a 9mm or 38 special with a 124 GR lead boolet. Either of these will work with a small rifle primer when small pistol primers aren't available with NO alteration of the cases. That same can of Unique makes dandy loads in a 12 guage as well. A 223 is fairly frugal with powder and there's quite a range of bullet weights to cover most situations. It works quite well with many different powders. You can also use small pistol primers AT REDUCED CHARGES. While brass for the 223 and 9mm are available in large quantities at rock bottom prices, You can cut off a 223 case, ream the neck thickness and use it in a 9mm if you had to! Those are the reasons a 9mm and a 223 are my choices for SHTF. If I lived in Alaska or somewhere I might wind up on the dinner menu instead of some animal my choices would be different.

MT Gianni
08-08-2017, 04:57 PM
If you are looking at a situation where you believe there will be little recreational shooting it is different than loading for plinking. Try to go over as many load manuals as possible and reduce the powders used by finding what works well in many cartridges. Then you might only need a lb for that old rifle of grandads that gets out of the safe once a year. The ones that cover many, Red Dot, 4198, 4064 you might see how many 8 lb kegs you want.

OS OK
08-08-2017, 08:02 PM
When you run out of 'cool dry places' to store it...well, then you prolly have enough . . . :bigsmyl2:

Hick
08-08-2017, 10:00 PM
About everything above is true, but I can give you a rough estimate. I shoot 32WS, 30-30 , M1 Garand, 223 Remington, 357 Magnum and 38 special. Some jacketed and some cast. I have a stocking spreadsheet that covers all the needs of those firearms for four years. It works out to 37,000 rounds (and primers) for 66 pounds of powder (a mix of slow and fast).

rancher1913
08-08-2017, 10:14 PM
Hick, that is the type of rule of thumb I was looking for.

There are too many variables and a guy could get lost in the details. I can figure amounts for what I shoot now but who knows what I will shot in the future, so just a rough rule of thumb so I don't end up with three times as much powder as primers.

Geezer in NH
08-09-2017, 03:28 PM
It really stinks having to play catch up eh???

Everyone who paid attention was warned in the eighty's. Didn't get ready then and with several other times since? Sorry for you'se