PDA

View Full Version : Need Suggestions for re-crowning an octagon barrel, in center rest

Chill Wills
08-02-2017, 05:48 PM
Wanting to re-crown an octagon barrel out on the right side of the lathe bed.

Need Suggestions for holding the 7/8" octagon barrel in a center rest that is not too hard to set up.
I have some ideas but they turn into elaborate and cost problems.

I have my fathers post WWII era home machine shop and my lathe is a South Bend 9A with 54 inch bed. These nice old hobby lathes Achilles Heels is the 0.750" headstock.

Often, you seasoned machine shop types, have "forehead slap" solutions to my problems.

Thanks in advance for any help.

ulav8r
08-04-2017, 09:36 PM
Use a cathead in a steady rest.

http://www.homemadetools.net/homemade-lathe-cathead

leebuilder
08-06-2017, 07:05 AM
Cat head is the only way to run it in a lathe unless you turn a spot round. I would use a hand crowning tool and pilot.
Be well

Ballistics in Scotland
08-06-2017, 08:10 AM
Cast an approximately cylindrical plug of cerrosafe, hard lead alloy or liquid plastic around it. A piece of cardboard tube will do for the low-temperature options. Then turn it truly concentric between centres. Or if the barrel is tapered you could do the same with a piece of thick-walled brass or aluminium tubing, tapped down until the corners of the barrel dig in firmly.

drhall762
08-10-2017, 10:33 AM
Ditto the Cathead. If you don't have one you need it anyway and it is a very simple, straight forward project.

Chill Wills
08-10-2017, 10:12 PM
Ditto the Cathead. If you don't have one you need it anyway and it is a very simple, straight forward project.

Yup. I agree with your logic. I will use it more in the future so I might as well just make one. I have been looking at samples to copy.

Thanks!