PDA

View Full Version : Balum

rl69
08-01-2017, 09:36 PM
In numbers we are introduced to Balum. What is your take on him?
A man of God
A man used by God
A minion of satan

claude
08-01-2017, 11:01 PM
I believe he was a man of God, used of God, but with a weakness for the almighty dollar, which got him into a couple of uncomfortable tight spots. YMMV

Ickisrulz
08-02-2017, 09:45 AM
Balaam was a legitimate prophet. He had a certain amount of integrity which is shown by his attempt at literal obedience to the will of God. However, he was conflicted by his lust for money. He knew he should not have gone with Balak's men. However, he wanted to because he was hoping he'd be paid.

What does this story tell us about God?

At first God forbid Balaam to go with Balak's men. Then God allowed him to go, but was angered by it. God knew what motivated Balaam. It was not doing God's will in order to please Him or benefit God's people. His motivation was material gain. Notice that God did not just let Balaam go on his merry way. He put up road blocks that Balaam had to overcome to proceed (i.e., the donkey's strange behavior). The road blocks were intended to help Balaam look at what he was attempting to do and why. God was looking to change Balaam's motivation.

God sometimes allows his people to do what they want to do even if it is not good for them. He tries helping them see the error of their ways by making the road more difficult. How far do they want to travel? How much hardship will they endure to do things their way? Hopefully somewhere along the road they will ask themselves, "Why am I doing this?" and turn back.

Edit: Balaam's story does not have a happy ending. Balaam did not respond favorably to God's attempt at changing his motivation. He eventually counseled Balak in how to tempt the Israelites and this was accomplished successfully. In order to understand the Balaam references in 2 Peter, Jude and Revelations we merely have to know that Balaam preferred money over doing God's will or serving God's people.

Preacher Jim
08-02-2017, 11:40 AM
find references of Balaam in new testament before you make final answer

Thundarstick
08-02-2017, 04:28 PM
Balaam, now there's a name that should make the hair on the back of our neck stand up! Yes, he was a prophet all rite, but he worked against God's will by convincing the people of Israel that it was OK to sin against God. Basically Balaam would be teaching us today that we (Christians) don't really have to be set apart, a peculiar people, especially if it is favourable to your wealth or status. Situational ethics would come to mind here.

rl69
08-03-2017, 05:53 PM
I had always just figured he was another flawed man of God.then Monday I tripped over numbers 24 verse 1

1And when Balaam saw that it pleased the LORD to bless Israel, he went not, as at other times, to seek for enchantments, but he set his face toward the wilderness

I then saw him in a new light; he wasent a profit of God,but a profit for hire. If he received his visions from God or satan, it didn't matter to him.

I now I don't know if there is enough proof in the scriptures to suport him being a minion of satan. But I wouldn't argue with anyone who thought that.

birch
08-09-2017, 08:50 AM
I will always remember getting the mean eye from my mom when I heard the pastor read this verse:

Numbers 22:21-38King James Version (KJV). 21 And Balaam rose up in the morning, and saddled his ***, and went with the princes of Moab.

Keep in mind, I was only 8 or 9 years old. Now--you have to picture this--as the verse progresses, the pastor became more intense to make his point. Then, he said, "and Balaam's *** spoke".

I asked my mom if she remembered me getting in trouble over this--she said she did not remember. I will always remember that sermon!

Der Gebirgsjager
08-09-2017, 12:04 PM
What is a "man of God"? Men are "known by their fruits". Men who are "of God" want to please God. Balaam wanted to please Balaam by getting paid to curse the people of God. Therefore, it is not logical to think that Balaam was a man of God. Rather like Simon Magus. Sadly, there are and always have been "people makin' money off of Jesus" who are not "men of God."

Hans89
10-15-2018, 01:52 AM
What i found interesting about this story is when we get to the last time we was to curse the Hebrews:Num 24:14 And now, behold, I am going to my people. Come, I will let you know what this people will do to your people in the latter days.”

Then it goes on to mention nations around the present State of Israel - this is a prophecy regarding the future also. Nations in the list include parts of Saudi Arabia, Jordan - Edom is one name that keeps on coming up for judgment when Messiah returns.