PDA

View Full Version : Wanting To Add A Bench Top Instead Of Bench Overhanging Press

Landy88
08-01-2017, 03:20 PM
Except for the Lee Hand Press, all of my presses are and have been RCBSes that overhang. I want to add a press and it has to go over my drawers and can't overhang. It's to be mostly for handgun, maybe some smaller rifle rounds, so multiple die positions is a worthwhile but not necessary feature. Cost in dollars and complexity don't have enough benefit, at my use rate divide among several presses, to go progressive.

Do you have any favorites to suggest?

Gtrubicon
08-01-2017, 03:28 PM
Look up Hollywood reloading press, turret or single stage

rancher1913
08-01-2017, 03:41 PM
get a quick change mount from inline, one of the sponsers in the top banner. they mount to the bench and then your existing presses would all work like you want.

Kevin Rohrer
08-01-2017, 03:47 PM
I had to read your message several times to figure out you want progressive press recommendations.

I suggest that you do a simple Search here or any other reloading site w/ the keyword "progressive" or "Dillon" or "Hornady". There is no need to start yet another topic whose subject has been dealt w/ thousands of times.

dragon813gt
08-01-2017, 03:49 PM
Buy an Ultramount from Inline Fabrication and use whatever press you want. You're really limited if you want a press that doesn't overhang. W/ the Ultramount you can use any that are out there.

AbitNutz
08-01-2017, 03:55 PM
The RCBS summit sits on the bench and doesn't hang over.

bedbugbilly
08-01-2017, 03:59 PM
I have been working on getting my new reloading bench set up at the condo we moved to I have three different presses and not enough space for all of them as my bench - which is 8' - is going to have to be a "multi purpose" bench - i.e. reloading, leather working and ML gun making. I don't have the drawer issue but all of mine overhang as well.

I have heard a lot of good about Inline - look up a video on them. I went with one of the Lee bench plates for mine. Haven't set it up yet but it should work just fine for my purposes/needs. In your case, if you have to have a overhang press, I would think either would work good - and in the drawer that interferes with the press, store stuff you rarely need.

Landy88
08-01-2017, 04:06 PM
Hollywoods are great but the collectors prices and availability make them a stretch for me.

I'm specifically not interested in progressives, sorry for any confusing wording.

The Inline riser and just another RCBS like my others is a very sound recommendation. There's value in using what you know and for which you have spares.

Gewehr-Guy
08-01-2017, 07:35 PM
The Lyman All-American appears to be a nice press, there is a picture of one in the Vintage Reloading Gear forum, the thread is "In praise of a reloading press".

Grmps
08-01-2017, 07:51 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?218176-DIY-Riser&p=2454294&viewfull=1#post2454294
Will get the press up and away from the drawers.
After that, you would have to decide what progressive press fits your budget and needs

Ickisrulz
08-01-2017, 08:21 PM
There's the 444H press made by CH4D and then a couple made by Posness/Warren that do not overhang the bench.

StratsMan
08-01-2017, 08:48 PM
The RCBS Summit is a recently released press, still available I believe. I don't think the sales have been great, tho. Cabelas stopped carrying them, and you can get them for not much money on FleaBay... I added the Hornady quick-lock parts to my Summit for quick die changes, but you can't set primers on it.

If you don't mind antiques, the Lyman All American and the Texan metallic presses are sturdy little monsters, but they require proprietary shell holders. I have adapters for mine to fit the current standard shell holders, but can't use the primer punches as the diameter of the original punch is bigger than the holes needed by todays punches... So the hole in the current shell holders is too small... They're OK for low volume stuff, and I love the old-school craftsmanship and close tolerances, but they're not fast....

My vote is the Summit...

jmorris
08-01-2017, 08:59 PM
Get a block of wood and mount it to the bench. Now mount any press that would normally hang over to the block. You are done.

If you want quick change presses that don't hang over, get a good bench vice and mount it to your bench, mount your presses to 4x4 wood blocks.

Landy88
08-01-2017, 09:59 PM
I really like the several times suggested Lyman All-American.

The Summit would do what I want.

I checked Fleabay and GB, but shipping on presses adds up pretty quickly.

Armed with your good riser ideas, I can make many presses work.

I'm going to hit the local range's bulletin board and a few LGSes to see if can save the shipping on something I like, and I like that Lyman A-A enough to bid on them in a range that considers the shipping. Maybe I'll get lucky

rbuck351
08-02-2017, 09:59 AM
I have a Lyman AA. Of about dozen presses I have ,it's my favorite non progressive.

Kenstone
08-02-2017, 11:56 AM
Hollywoods are great but the collectors prices and availability make them a stretch for me.

I'm specifically not interested in progressives, sorry for any confusing wording.

The Inline riser and just another RCBS like my others is a very sound recommendation. There's value in using what you know and for which you have spares.
I needed a "riser" once, and simply made an open ended box out of 2x8 framing lumber, glued and screwed together with 3 inch drywall screws.
It worked so good I never bought an "official" riser...use wider lumber on the verticals and narrower on the horizontal for a tall/skinny version.
:mrgreen:

mdhillbilly1
08-02-2017, 09:06 PM
Except for the Lee Hand Press, all of my presses are and have been RCBSes that overhang. I want to add a press and it has to go over my drawers and can't overhang. It's to be mostly for handgun, maybe some smaller rifle rounds, so multiple die positions is a worthwhile but not necessary feature. Cost in dollars and complexity don't have enough benefit, at my use rate divide among several presses, to go progressive.

Do you have any favorites to suggest?I have a Texan Loadmaster T-101
7 Hole Turret Reloading Press.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk