PDA

View Full Version : Saw my first single action revolver in a shop yesterday!

Four Fingers of Death
07-30-2008, 05:59 PM
My old model Vaquero 44Mag, I traded it last year on a pair of 45 new models after failing to find a matching 44. They haven't been able to selll it (you have to have a special license here to own over 38 cal and most shooters don't bother, I dug my toes in however and wasn't about to give up my big bore shooting). I'm tempted to buy it back, mind you I have no need for it as I have a pair of 45 convertibles, a pair of 45 new model vaqueross, a pair of Piettas in 44/40 and a spare clone in 44/40 and a pair of blackhawks. Stillllllllllllllllll, it weas my first SA gun

uncle joe
07-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Well Mick
When I was 12 years old my dad took an old 45 long colt sa and traded it for me a shotgun to dove hunt with. I guess he thought it would get more use that way.
I still have the model 17 remington shotgun, but I sure wish I had that same old 45 back. It was nothing special had new parts on it and was not collectable by a real collector, but it was Dads.
je

targetshootr
07-30-2008, 08:17 PM
You're way overthinking it. "I'm tempted to buy it back" is as far as you need to go. Then sit down with a cold beer and figure out how to find the money.

:castmine:

GSPKurt
07-30-2008, 08:41 PM
You're way overthinking it. "I'm tempted to buy it back" is as far as you need to go. Then sit down with a cold beer and figure out how to find the money.

:castmine:

I'd have to agree.

EDK
07-31-2008, 05:19 AM
I buy all the Original Size VAQUEROS/BISLEY VAQUEROS in 44 magnum that I can find...or afford. The 357s in the same format are a temptation also. AND it's a lot easier to find and buy them here in the "good old USA" than in Australia.

Missouri eliminated the "permit to purchase" rules last year. Find what you want and open up your wallet, fill out the 4473 and figure out a good story for the wife! I had to cough up for her a trip to Las Vegas for the step son's wedding next month after getting "a suitcase full of six guns" tuned by Jim Stroh in May and my Quigley rifle shoot trip in June.

You ought to be old enough to know you usuallly regret a firearms sale or trade. Quit picking your...errr....nose. What's need got to do with it!

Fellow 44 VAQUERO addict Ed

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

Three44s
07-31-2008, 09:39 PM
I figure it's an OMEN ......

.... I'd buy her back!!!!

Three 44s

be603
07-31-2008, 10:12 PM
Need it? NEED IT? What does THAT have to do with anything? :-)

I mostly lurk here and only occasionally post but do enjoy my Old Model Vaq 45 Colt. I esp like having all the headroom the old model allows on reload pressures.

Seems like "Down under" you'd "need" to work up some thumping "315gr special Wallaby medicine for walkabouts. Either that or for Zombie hordes beyond Thunderdome.

lathesmith
07-31-2008, 11:22 PM
Mick, I think just the fact of you mentioning your are "tempted" to buy it back means you have already made up your mind, you just want/need a little encouragement. Well, you've got it! Now go down there and get that thing, and give us another report!
lathesmith

waksupi
07-31-2008, 11:24 PM
Mick, don't forget, you ARE amongst a bunch of ENABLERS!

rugerdude
07-31-2008, 11:46 PM
Wish I had the opportunity to buy my first single action back! Big ole' Ruger SBH with the 7.5" barrel. Man that sucker shot great! I even liked the Dragoon gripframe. Alas, when me and the missus were getting things together prior to our wedding, things needed paying for that we just didn't have enough money for so the SBH and a couple more sixguns had to go. Black day for me. Wife promised that I wouldn't have to sell another gun unless I wanted to. Great gal, and darn shore worth keepin'! But I digress........

MICK!! GO GET THAT SIXGUN!!! :mrgreen:

Newtire
07-31-2008, 11:49 PM
Wish I had the opportunity to buy my first single action back! Big ole' Ruger SBH with the 7.5" barrel. Man that sucker shot great! I even liked the Dragoon gripframe. Alas, when me and the missus were getting things together prior to our wedding, things needed paying for that we just didn't have enough money for so the SBH and a couple more sixguns had to go. Black day for me. Wife promised that I wouldn't have to sell another gun unless I wanted to. Great gal, and darn shore worth keepin'! But I digress........

MICK!! GO GET THAT SIXGUN!!! :mrgreen:

You lost your Ruger getting married & I lost mine getting divorced...Mine was a 7 1/2"bbl. SBH 3-screw with a Burris 2X & a Black Chrome finish...I will eventually have to buy another .44 Ruger.

Freightman
08-01-2008, 09:34 AM
I traded a 45 acp pistol three times and got it back the last time and gave it to my grandaughter wish I hadn't traded a lot of guns regret some glad to get rid of some and I still like to trade. Wife said "I worry you are going to trade me" I said naw I have to much invested in you and kept you past time to trade to get my investment back.
Go get the single action!

rugerdude
08-01-2008, 01:03 PM
...I will eventually have to buy another .44 Ruger.

When we got our finances going in the right direction, the .44 was the first gun replaced! I did get a Bisley instead of the SBH and absolutely love it, but another SBH w/ either 7.5" or 10.5" barrel will find its way into my safe eventually! Hope you find a good one soon! :drinks:

Whitworth
08-02-2008, 08:45 AM
This is a no-brainer -- go buy it back! What a great opportunity! But, I am a nostalgic fool anyhow.......:mrgreen:

Four Fingers of Death
08-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Yeah I suppose you are right, I used to love shooting 'Elmers' out of it. Shoot them on a cold morning and it was like getting the cane in school. I picked up a new 310Gn Lee mould a few weeks ago and it was real cheap. I've got 4x45s, 2x44mags and 3x 44WCFs. I guess another little old 44Mag won't hurt.
Mick.

C1PNR
08-02-2008, 06:08 PM
Yeah I suppose you are right, I used to love shooting 'Elmers' out of it. Shoot them on a cold morning and it was like getting the cane in school. I picked up a new 310Gn Lee mould a few weeks ago and it was real cheap. I've got 4x45s, 2x44mags and 3x 44WCFs. I guess another little old 44Mag won't hurt.
Mick.
Shucks Mick, not to be another enabler or anything, but you NEED that 44Mag to help get things back into cosmic balance! You have 4 45's, 2 44 Mags, and 3 44-40's. Way our of balance!

Now you'll have 4, 3 & 3! All you need to do then is get another 44 Mag and another 44-40 and you will be in total balance with the Universe, ie, 4, 4, and 4!!

Four Fingers of Death
08-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Yessir, balance is always good.

I also have 2x 44mag rifles (Rossi 92 and an 1894 Marlin) and a 444S Marlin, so the 429 cals would be matched if I bought the old vaq back. I also have three 44/40 rifles, an original 92 Winchester, an early 1866 Uberti and a new 1873 Uberti so the 427s are in orbit so to speak. The fact that I don't own any 45 Colt rifles and have 4 steenking pistolas in that calibre is somewhat of a worry, but then again, it is not really a rifle calibre anyway, historically. My friend who is a gun dealer and has a shop in the Capitol, is trying to sell me a pair of taurus 45 Lightning clones for a real good price, that would balance it up some. Probably better to go one Taurus to match the Vaqueros and one 'modern' style lever to match the Blackhawk Convertibles. Maybe another 1894 Marlin (I realise that these are fine rifles, but I really can't warm to them, way too ugly, I haven't fired a shot through the 44mag 1894 yet and have had it for a year or more, bought in a rush of blood when i was cashed up, I feel the same about Swede Mausers, they are excelent, but never pressed my buttons).

It's gonna take me three lifetimes to wear all these guns out! :D
Mick.

lathesmith
08-02-2008, 10:59 PM
It's gonna take me three lifetimes to wear all these guns out!
Mick.
I never think of firearms as something to wear out, they are investment-grade commodities. Think of them as a hedge against inflation...an important part of any well-diversified portfolio.
lathesmith

EDK
08-03-2008, 03:50 PM
ENABLE ME BOYS!!!

I had to get some Subways sandwiches on the way to work yesterday...minor problems at the "electric factory" and overtime. The new "mom and pop" gunshop next door has a used Smith & Wesson 624 (44 Special,) 6.5 inch barrel and Hogue grips, for $450. Taffin's BOOK OF THE 44 says they made a total of 10,000 in 4 and 6.5 inch plus 5,000 Lew Horton 3 inch guns.

I was waffling and running late, so didn't put a deposit on it. Posted my story over at SINGLE ACTIONS....consensus was "Get yourself together and get out the check book!" The shop is closed Sunday and Monday...opens at 4 Tuesday and I get off work at 3"30.

Wish me luck...and hope no one else spotted it!

lathesmith
08-03-2008, 05:21 PM
EDK, it's a good thing St. Louis is a 3-hour drive from here, or I might try and beat you to that 44, ha! Seriously, if you can find a decent N frame Smith for under 500 bucks, you better BUY IT, much less a relatively rare one. Good luck, and you better move fast!
lathesmith

exile
08-03-2008, 05:32 PM
How about posting a picture of that 624? I would love to see it.

EDK
08-03-2008, 06:07 PM
There's a 6.5 inch 624 on Gunbroker with a buy now of $750. It has the S&W factory wood target grips and the box, etc. but has been fired. That's worth a little, but not $300! There are a bunch of model 24s available...same gun in blue steel...but they all are close to $700. I check Gunbroker and Auction Arms pretty regular PLUS Single Actions and Ruger Forums.

The 24/624 with a 6.5 barrel compares to a model 29 (6.5 inch) like a 44 FLAT TOP to a SUPER BLACK HAWK. (Best comparison is to a tool or gun that just feels right in your hands when you pick it up for the first time.) If you feed it hot loads, it isn't right for you; if you stay with reasonable loads (about 900/1000 feet per second) it's close to perfect....and about 8 ounces lighter than its "magnum sibling."

If I hi-jacked the thread, "sorry about that." I got to share the joy...and the reasoning behind it.

Scrounger
08-03-2008, 07:27 PM
No reasonable person would consider a 624 better than a 629. It's just collector mania, wanting something simply because it's somewhat rare. Of course it's 'rare' because not too many people want it in the first place...

MtGun44
08-06-2008, 09:10 PM
OK - please correct me if I am wrong here.

I think a 624 and a 629 are EXACTLY the same in all ways and every single
detail - EXCEPT for 0.10" depth on the chamber and the model number
rolled into the barrel.

Is this correct?

Bill

S.R.Custom
08-06-2008, 09:21 PM
OK - please correct me if I am wrong here.

I think a 624 and a 629 are EXACTLY the same in all ways and every single
detail - EXCEPT for 0.10" depth on the chamber and the model number
rolled into the barrel.

Is this correct?

Bill

Not entirely. The 624's cylinder is shorter, too. And except in the mountain gun, you couldn't get the 629 in the tapered barrel configuration. And the mountain gun , as you well know, has that damn round-butt frame. The 4" 624s were square butt.