PDA

View Full Version : Pinned Block Warp

Good Cheer
07-31-2017, 08:18 PM
On a .58 minie mold, appears that when the pins were pushed in that the block half was made ever so slightly convex, just enough to screw things up.
Lacking a hydraulic press I'm considering bench vise, mallet, whatever.
What's a better way to go about it?

tazman
07-31-2017, 11:29 PM
Not certain that is doable using ordinary means.
I tried to straighten a H&G 6 cavity one time That was about .002 out in the center. I broke a very good 8 inch bench vise without any effect on the mold. I also tried hammers with boards as a buffer so as not to dent the mold blocks. I even went so far as to run over it with my truck with the ends of the block supported all to no avail.
Those molds are tough.

Good Cheer
08-01-2017, 09:13 AM
Whoo boy. That's dedication.
I'm thinking that if reversing the effects of the factory isn't workable with applied pressure then I'll drive the pins on out and flatten the face by the slow hand. That will mean the cavity is a little wonky but at least I'd have a starting point for further application of TLC.
Come winter time such things take the place of jigsaw puzzles and Red Skelton reruns. :popcorn:

bosterr
08-01-2017, 09:44 AM
If the edges are higher than the cavity, how about working the edges down with fine emery cloth?

country gent
08-01-2017, 11:00 AM
The cavities may become slightly egg shaped flattening the blocks faces. This is also fixable after blocks are mated by lapping the cavities back to true size and roundness. It takes a steady hand a lot of pressure and heat to get the mehanite blocks to move even a little bit and if not done correctly they may crack or break instead of move. Work them flat on a surface plate and sand paper. Then mark one edge and lightly lap the surfaces together switching ends every so often. Check vent lines to see if they need to be deepened a little. Cast a few good bullets and measure Id these to the cavity they come from. Then use these to lapp the cavites back to round and size.