PDA

View Full Version : johnathan browning rifles

charger 1
07-30-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm looking at trading my PH musketoon on one of these in 50. Am I trading like for like? Are they good stuff. Of course the seller says they are but I'd like input

Maven
07-30-2008, 05:11 PM
The Jonathan Browning Hawken replicas are very well regarded, relatively rare, and expensive. With the right ball diameter and patch thickness they're likely to be accurate as well, but muzzle heavy.

charger 1
07-30-2008, 05:27 PM
The Jonathan Browning Hawken replicas are very well regarded, relatively rare, and expensive. With the right ball diameter and patch thickness they're likely to be accurate as well, but muzzle heavy.

Well long as the quality is there muzzle heavy dont bug me. Some of my most accurate guns are reluctant to defy gravity. I find front light stuff not steady on the hold

ktw
07-30-2008, 05:30 PM
Much nicer fit and finish than a Lyman GPR, although a lot more expensive and not likely to shoot significantly better.

More comparable to what Pedersoli is currently offering in a Hawken, although made in the USA rather than in Italy.

The JMB has a single set trigger rather than the double sets found on most other Hawken replicas.

Here is one (45 cal) currently on gun broker with a buy it now of $725 and no bids.
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=105762341

-ktw

madcaster
07-30-2008, 07:29 PM
I think KTW has a good point,a Lyman Great Plains Rifle is probably a wiser choice...

KCSO
07-30-2008, 08:16 PM
The Brownings have some small collector value. As a shooter they were all right but not anything special. I in particular disliked the single set trigger for off hand shooting as when it breaks you are left holding air and your finger tends to follow, like shooting a revolver with no overtravel it can be done but for the best work the overtravel helps. In our area the Browning when found will go for about $750. If you have a Parker Hale made in England I woud put it on Gunbroker and I would expect between 8 and 9 hundred for it.

charger 1
07-31-2008, 06:36 AM
The Brownings have some small collector value. As a shooter they were all right but not anything special. I in particular disliked the single set trigger for off hand shooting as when it breaks you are left holding air and your finger tends to follow, like shooting a revolver with no overtravel it can be done but for the best work the overtravel helps. In our area the Browning when found will go for about $750. If you have a Parker Hale made in England I woud put it on Gunbroker and I would expect between 8 and 9 hundred for it.

Ya I know we all have this expectation that PH's do better $ wise yet mines been sitting on GA for $800 OBO and getting a true rust blueing. IE sitting, no bites, no jack nothing. So its kinda like that television show "Antiques road show" where the guy would put 10,000$ price tags on stuff you just knew were based on you finding that one person in the world who wanted it, and usually in my experience when you find that one person their shrude enough to realize it

RBak
07-31-2008, 08:02 PM
Charger 1, Ya got a point!
When I own something, and I'm trying to sell it, it ain't worth a hill of beans!
But, let me try to buy that same item a week later, and it's priceless...go figure.

Russ...

charger 1
08-01-2008, 04:48 AM
Well I went ahead cause I got the snider cartridge in 57, so now I'll have a 50 for RB. A bit more variation

Gussy
08-04-2008, 11:57 AM
A little late, but I have 2 Brownings. One in .45 and one in .50. One is steel mounted the other is brass. Both shoot very well and I have taken deer with both. Problem now is my eyes are not doing well with the open sights and I don't want to mess with the original sights. They are both in the back of the safe and I haven't had either out in a year or two.

charger 1
08-04-2008, 01:15 PM
A little late, but I have 2 Brownings. One in .45 and one in .50. One is steel mounted the other is brass. Both shoot very well and I have taken deer with both. Problem now is my eyes are not doing well with the open sights and I don't want to mess with the original sights. They are both in the back of the safe and I haven't had either out in a year or two.

The one I got commin is a 50 W/brass hardware. Thanks for the feedback Gussy

charger 1
08-07-2008, 04:15 AM
Well pulled er out of the box, poured in 60 grains of APP FFG and a 490 on a .015 patch and proceeded to plunk em into one hole. I'm OK with that. However when you pull the trigger to let the hammer down slow something feels like its catching. Gotta look into that