PDA

View Full Version : Gang molds

shtur
07-30-2017, 12:35 AM
Do people collect older gang molds? I have a 5 cavity 357155 Cramer mold that must weigh over 5lbs empty. I was wondering where those old heavy gang molds go these days - to the junk pile or are their collectors of these dinosaurs?

starreloader
07-30-2017, 12:52 AM
They aren't DINOSAURS.. Those "old gang moulds" as you call them have made many thousands and thousands of bullets over the years for many of us. I still have 27 of the H&G 10 & 8 cavity moulds which weigh on average 7 lbs each.. Also have 20 of the SAECO 8 cav moulds, they are a little lighter, only about 4 lbs each. Depending on what you have it could bring you a good price.. Those big heavy moulds produce darn good bullets.

Markopolo
07-30-2017, 01:18 AM
I wonder just how many PM's that nice gentlemen just received offering to take that poor old useless mold of his hands.. prolly offered him quite a purty penny too... lol

shtur
07-30-2017, 10:02 AM
I've seen H&G 10 and 8 cavity molds, but this one has very thick blocks and really heavy. I'll try to post a photo of it, to show it's size.

TexasGrunt
07-30-2017, 10:54 AM
I'll take every old heavy gang mold I can afford.

There was a Ideal Arsenal mold for .38 wadcutters on eBay today. Buy it now for $35. A seven cavity. Someone beat me to it.

I would have loved to have that beast.

DerekP Houston
07-30-2017, 10:58 AM
my h&g 50 is treasured but it is a heavy beast =). To think i thought a 6 cavity would be easy. I like them just for the amount of thermal energy they can store from the mass. No worrying about it cooling too fast or whatnot.

Leadmelter
07-31-2017, 08:35 PM
I got a HG gang mold that weights about 8-10 lbs with handles. All the screws were messed up, ;so for $100 I shipped it to Eric at hollow point molds.
He cleaned it up replaced all the screws and such.
I am planning on trying it out this fall.
I was told those big molds were for police dept. to make a lot of bullets for practices and PPC shoolting.
Leadmelter
MI

jarhead0321usmc
07-31-2017, 10:33 PM
Those dinosaurs will be passed on like heirlooms by many I'm sure. The quality today just ain't what it used to be. Sure give the arms a workout when using them.

LenH
08-07-2017, 02:21 PM
I have an 8 cavity H&G and it is a brute. I cast great bullets and I use when I need that particular bullet. I also have a 6 cavity H & G and it is a brute also and it cast great bullets
both of these are pot drainers and they rain bullets when opened. I plan on keeping them until I can no longer cast. The 4 cavity H & G is a light weight in comparison, the mold blocks
are more like a Lyman 4 cavity than the other H & G molds. It would be a shame to not use something that great.

DerekP Houston
08-07-2017, 02:25 PM
I will say I never bothered using mold guides until I got the H&G, I didn't even know what that little ledge was for on the lee 4-20 ;). They sure don't make them like that any more. I have a few others on my wish list...

country gent
08-07-2017, 04:11 PM
A lot of those old gang moulds were used by police departments, clubs , and other groups. Some were hung on spring retractors or balancers to reduce remove the weight from the operator. At work we had "heavy" drivers on balancers in production a 8lb driver hung balanced by a simple counter weight and only took a little force to move or use. These moulds were used the same way in a lot of these places. I have sen chairs with an over head arm and 2 pulleys on the arm ( Piece of conduit or light tubing) a weight equal to the mould on the back of the cord and the mould on the other end. Very little muscle was needed to move use the mould as it hung were you left go of it.