PDA

View Full Version : using shot data to load buck and ball

castrookie
07-29-2017, 10:10 AM
hi hope someone can help i am looking to load a buck and ball and my total weight is 1 3/8 i was wondering if i can use shot data of the same weight as my load data subtracting 10% charge to start what are your thoughts thanks.

GrayTech
07-29-2017, 10:31 PM
I have a book of buckshot loads. If you can be a bit more specific about the components I may be able to pass on some data.
The answer to your question hinges on the components you plan to use. You need to provide more detailed info.

Retumbo
07-30-2017, 07:55 AM
An ounce is an ounce is an ounce. As long as your components are the same as published you can (almost) use any projectile of given weight.

This is done for Lee 1 oz slugs. You can do a straight substitute shot/slug for any one ounce recipe

dverna
07-30-2017, 08:23 AM
No need to start 10% under IF all the other components are the same as the shot load.

In any case, you cannot tell if you have an over pressure load with shot shells as they run at too low a pressure. Not like rifle loads where you get flattened primers.

Use published data and you will always be safe. And by "published" I do not mean anything written on forums like this. Use manufacturers data.

castrookie
07-31-2017, 08:58 AM
Great thanks dverna for the help the reason for the 10% reduced is because I'm using a different wad. But the primer,powder, and lead weight is the same thanks again

BK7saum
07-31-2017, 10:37 AM
Yep, changing of the wad is usually what causes the most drastic change in pressure with the shotgun. Are you checking velocity of the load against published data?

castrookie
07-31-2017, 10:48 AM
I loaded a few to try to see were is my velocity so I can compare thanks

bdicki
07-31-2017, 12:44 PM
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=118&sid=a70f6dbd7abbec94b0fe5cf464f990dc

Little Oak
07-31-2017, 01:46 PM
In UK we have a very old and well tried shotshell loading regime we term Long Range/Low Velocity that was originally adopted for loading heavy shot charges for wild fowling, etc. in standard guns. How it works is that recognising large shot (US 5 and larger) retains velocity/energy much better than small shot, a load of this larger shot can be started slower (say 1000fps), and therefore at a lower pressure, but still retain required striking velocity/energy on target.
A bonus to this is usually a better and tighter pattern spread.
I have used this system for buck shot with good results and well within pressure limits.
For tightest patterns with buckshot I have found a very open choke to be best.