PDA

View Full Version : 120gr RN .30 Carbine gb mould results in Blackhawk

Salmon-boy
07-30-2008, 08:37 AM
After casting a thousand or so of these boolits, I finally had a chance to try them out...

I was kind of suspicious since loading to an OAL similar to factory am mo, there was a ridge in the case where the boolit expanded the taper, even after a run through my Lee FCD. It didn't hinder chambering in either my Blackhawk or the AMT Automag III so I loaded up 50 for testing.. Next will be accuracy testing at 25 yds in a couple weeks.

This boolit on 6.8gr Blue Dot is a great, fun load for the Blackhawk! I'm thoroughly happy I had the chance to try it, and the 2 liter plastic bottle that was jumping around the range seemed to be having fun as well! :Fire:

If there's enough interest in another run of the mould, I'm definitely in for it!

Crooked Creek
08-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Have you tried 32-20 brass in your 30 Carbine Blackhawk ? I just sent a reply to a different post from 2006 asking some questions on this subject.

Captain Midnight
08-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Crooked Creek:
32-20? ...... More info on 30 car. please
Captain

Crooked Creek
09-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Sorry for the delay Captain, I haven't been here in a while. A number of people have used 32-20 (rimmed) brass in 30 Carbine Ruger Blackhawks for lower pressure cast bullet loads, in the 900-1100 FPS range. Sometimes the rims have to be thinned a little to function without locking up the cylinder. I was having trouble with lead building up behind the headspace ring at the end of the chambers and thus keeping subsequent rounds from chambering properly. Use of the 32-20 case, with headspacing on the rim, can help prevent the problem.

P.S. Look back at a thread under "Wheelguns..." , under 30 Carbine Ruger Pistol for much more discussion on the subject.

Salmon-boy
09-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Crooked,
Sorry for the lack of response, didn't see the thread... Also been playing with some new acquisitions..

No, I havn't gone to 32-20. I put in an order with Jeff Bartlett (Nice guy to do business with!) and got a couple thou 30 carb. cases.

Just got some Hogden H110 last weekend and loaded up a couple 20 rounds. The 120 gr boolit on top of 14gr H110 shoots REAL nice!

Cherokee
09-26-2008, 03:12 PM
32-20 brass does not always work in new model blackhawks, will not work in old model blackhawks. I find 30C brass works great if trimmed to proper length.