PDA

View Full Version : Off center flash holes in primer pocket in Perfecta .45 Auto Brass Cases.

Safeshot
07-27-2017, 05:58 PM
Has anyone else experienced off center flash holes in primer pockets in "Perfecta" brand fired .45 Auto. Brass Cases? I have had some flash holes off center enough to bend decapping pins when resizing and depriming the .45 Auto. Brass Cases. Remedy so far is to "go slow" and "feel" the recapping pin hit the inside of the case head and stop before enough pressure is applied to damage the decapping pin. It happens sooner than in a normal "resizing and decapping stroke", where the decapping pin goes into the flash hole and then engages the primer anvil, so there is some "warning". I have never had this happen before.

Hick
07-29-2017, 06:27 PM
I've found many GFL cases in 223 Remington that had seriously off center primer holes. They were a little hard to decap-- but I could do it. The good news is that I did a large set of accuracy comparisons with different cases (20 cases per lot, all trimmed identical and loaded identical), including a set with off-center primer holes, and got the best accuracy from the off-center cases. I realize that doesn't make sense-- but it happened.

rayraywolf
08-01-2017, 07:17 PM
They can be a PITA to de-cap, but my reloads shot just fine. Granted it was at a indoor steel plate match, targets were at 28 feet away.

308Jeff
08-01-2017, 07:22 PM
I noticed the flash holes were off center in some of their 40 S&W brass I recently processed.

osteodoc08
08-01-2017, 09:23 PM
Nothing new. Perfecta is not so perfecta and I typically trash it along with Amerc.

Bzcraig
08-01-2017, 10:20 PM
Nothing new. Perfecta is not so perfecta and I typically trash it along with Amerc.

Ditto

CastingFool
08-01-2017, 10:24 PM
My first experience reloading 45 acp PMC brass was the same. Offset flash holes. At first, I couldn't figure out why I was having such a difficult time decapping the brass. Off into the scrap pile it went.

samari46
08-03-2017, 10:47 PM
MFS which was made in Hungary in 45acp was the same way. Got to the point when brass scrounging I'd pick it up and when I got home into the scrap bucket. Most if not all of the brass hounds did the same. Amerc was the same way. Frank

OS OK
08-03-2017, 11:16 PM
'Perfecta' . . . that's a cigar, right?

Geezer in NH
08-04-2017, 09:18 AM
'Perfecta' . . . that's a cigar, right?

Horse track betting perhaps?

bouncer50
08-25-2017, 02:15 PM
Nothing new. Perfecta is not so perfecta and I typically trash it along with Amerc.I have to agree with you. I will reload them once and let so one else pick them up on the ground.

gnostic
08-26-2017, 11:59 AM
I've had issues as of late, with the flash hole being too small. Resulting in the decapping pin being removed from the expander as the ram is lowered.

GONRA
08-26-2017, 08:44 PM
Safeshot - GONRA put a looonger handle on Largest Lee press that I use just for dealing with resizing Srounged Range Brass.
Such a handle CAN (go slooow) let ya'll "feel" any "bad primer news" before screwing up and wrecking something.
Try it!

Shiloh
09-12-2017, 07:43 PM
Notorious for off-centered flash holes.

Shiloh

EDG
09-17-2017, 04:50 AM
I bought a hundred rounds of USGI 30-06 ammo in the early 1970s and everyone of those cases had off center flash holes.
In order to avoid the inevitable bent decapping rod I just removed my decapping pin and knocked out all the primers with a Lee hand punch and plastic hammer. Now more than 45 years later I am still knocking the primers out of all my brass with a hand tool.
I have never bent any decapping pins or stems and my press does not get covered with primer ash.