PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood press

mwhite49
07-27-2017, 01:14 AM
I know the senior press is the big one and all steel. What model's had aluminum parts and which parts were they?
Thanks

ReloaderFred
07-27-2017, 01:40 AM
Some Seniors were also made of aluminum castings. I think if you do a search on Hollywood presses on this forum, you'll come up with all kinds of information on them.

Both my "regular size" Senior, and my big Senior, with the swaging bar, are cast iron presses.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Kevin Rohrer
07-27-2017, 06:41 AM
Hollywood gave buyers the option of aluminum for almost all their presses, the exception (as far as I know) being the Senior Turret. I know of no examples of it being aluminum. The Super Turret was only made in aluminum.

If you do an Internet search for images, those made of aluminum will standout. Hollywood did not prime the aluminum, so the paint flaked-off in large patches. Those made of iron almost never lost paint.

To answer your last question, the frames are aluminum for most models.

From L to R: Iron, aluminum, iron, iron, and iron.

StratsMan
07-27-2017, 10:32 PM
From L to R: Iron, aluminum, iron, iron, and iron.

Show off... yes, I'm jealous...

Gtrubicon
07-30-2017, 06:35 PM
I think you can ID aluminum vs steel construction by the construction of the part that the shell holder bolts into, that actually rides up on the round column. If it's steel it will be 2pc, if it's aluminum it's 1 pc. Or if your looking in person see if a magnet sticks!