PDA

View Full Version : How do I fix a mold that's out of allighnment ?

BACKTOSHOOTING
07-26-2017, 10:59 AM
I bought a used Saeco 307 mold and it's casting a parting line that measures .308x315 on the parting line.

I assume the alighnment pins need to be adjusted but I'm not sure.

How would you go about moveing them as they are very tight and I don't want to damage the mold

Any help would sure be appreciated, Steve

country gent
07-26-2017, 11:49 AM
First remove blocks from handles. Clean really good with tooth brush and hot running water and dish soap, you want to work up a really good lather to lift and rinse crud away. Set blocks together by hand and try an see if any wiggle can be felt in them on the pins. Also look for light between the blocks when closed. Then with a magnifying glass look at edges of the cavity for burrs dings and a rounded edge from aggressive cleaning. If now issues show with the cavities then go back and check pins again it there is wiggle on one end then the pins need tapped out a little farther. I use a hard wood block ( 2" thick Hard maple with an epoxy finish worked into it) with a hole drilled in it for the pin to set in and clear. Go about .020-.030 bigger than the pin. St this on a solid hard surface and with a good punch and medium hammer ( 8-12 ounces) a couple solid taps and re test. I use a brass punch so to not marr surfaces. A few thousandths makes a big difference here so work slow and carefully. When no wiggle can be felt then try casting again. Remember to far out can cause as much problems as to shallow. A neat trick to do is to tap the holes behind the pins with a bottom tap and then a set screw can be used to push them out a little at a time.

runfiverun
07-26-2017, 02:46 PM
hold the halves together and see if there is really a mis-alignment.
you can usually feel it by running an X-acto blade back and forth on the parting lines.

a mold that measures wider one direction than the other doesn't mean it's out of alignment it mostly means they didn't close the mold all the way or didn't clean the chips from between the halves when cutting it.

the only real way to fix that is to re-cut it properly or to lap it out at home to get it as close to round as possible.

StratsMan
07-26-2017, 06:32 PM
I don't know about Saeco molds, but Lyman numbers the mold halves (I assume those numbers refer to the cherry used to cut them)... Does Saeco have any indication that your mold halves belong together?? Haven't been swapped with another mold of the same design???