PDA

View Full Version : Wildcat brass identification

Trophy Tom
07-26-2017, 09:19 AM
Have any of you custom stamped your converted brass to the new wildcat.
I have a 6.5 JDJ. I would love to find brass stamped that to eliminate confusion for someone else using my gun or reloads. Or to mark it myself somehow. Stamped 225 Win
Would confuse most even with the shells labeled on the box.
Any suggestions ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Harter66
07-26-2017, 11:56 AM
I'm sure it can be done .
A bold print negative cut into a die fitted to the rim dia and a quick tap . You would need a fairly skilled mill operator .

There's an outfit in Oregon or Washington State that does a mirco laser engraving tool set up for firing pin ID stamps so print as large as a head stamp should be a snap .

In both cases the set up expense might be a deal breaker . The laser engraving would be adaptable for permanent ID marking also ....

OS OK
07-26-2017, 12:39 PM
I've often thought about that...the headstamp of the parent case takes up all the room.
If there was a way to strike through that original stamping...like a circle cut through the letters all the way around...sorta like a v-groove lightly cut at letter depth so you can see right off, it ain't what it used to be.
A laser lettering on the side of the case might suffice but we need be careful of weakening the brass in any way.

Somebody must have the answer...

funnyjim014
07-27-2017, 09:08 PM
Vibration type engraver and just make the cal unreadable. Hit it with a light file to take off high spots.

Safeshot
07-28-2017, 12:11 AM
I was given some 30/06 fired brass with a military headstamp and a 77 date. I reformed and trimmed it to 7.7 Japanese. Used a dremel tool with a small dental burr to put a "." between the 7s and added a "J". Not perfect but usable.

DocSavage
08-01-2017, 10:10 AM
Worked for a major jet engine mtg and to mark parts we used what I called electro etch to do so used a mild electric current,a stencil and a mild acid solution (vinegar).
Worked well on various exotic stainless steels would probably work on brass.

cainttype
08-01-2017, 06:05 PM
If it bothers you, leave a short detailed description of your firearms needs with the gun. Another detailed description on, possibly even inside, the ammo box should identify the wildcat.
Anyone intentionally putting 225W in a gun clearly marked 6.5 JDJ needs more than a case-head getting scratched out... Anyone trying to use clearly IDed 6.5 JDJ converted from 225W in a 225W will have to visit a more knowlegable person that can explain why it just will not fit. :)

Texas by God
08-01-2017, 06:17 PM
That is the world of wild cats. Incorrect headstamps. It's just something we have to live with! Military brass helps but that is not a option with your 6.5 JFK. I worried for one second about necking up 308 to .358 then I realized no one would ever be able to put that 358 into a 308. But, when I found some correct 358 Winchester brass on this site, I scooped it up. It's only 16 pieces of brass but it will serve perfectly for a hunting trip.
Best,Thomas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk