PDA

View Full Version : Chech This Out

357maximum
07-30-2008, 12:41 AM
http://www.freewebs.com/nightcrawlerslodge/makingyourselfagunstock.htm

I am thinking about trying this on a marlin 336 buttstock just for the ell of it, if it goes well I might just try the forearm to match. Luckily my ol man has all the tools i need and the knowledge to help if I get stuck. He also has lots of spensive plywood "SCRAPS" I coul "BORROW".

leftiye
07-30-2008, 01:51 AM
That taint reglar plywood. If you like laminated stocks, that looks pretty good. Looks like it is all hardwood all the way through without any of the "pulp" wood cross grained layers you usually get.

357maximum
07-30-2008, 03:26 AM
YOUR quite right...that ain't no regular plywood

10-x
07-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Check out a stock on a WWII G-43 and some K-98s. "Herman the German" used laminating to save wood in the war.:drinks:

Echo
07-30-2008, 06:37 PM
Actually Herman found that quality control was improved using the lamination process.

And those stocks on the web are UGLY! IMHO...

(but the process is intriguing...)

uncle joe
07-30-2008, 06:45 PM
I bought a recurve bow from a local guy that used to make and sell them. He was the first guy in the state to kill a deer with a bow (no accounting for Native Americans). He made all his bows out of stock he laminated himself. Some of the prettiest wood I had ever seen.
JE
:Fire: :confused:

rusty marlin
08-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Actually Herman found that quality control was improved using the lamination process.

And those stocks on the web are UGLY! IMHO...

(but the process is intriguing...)

I agree, but a good filler and a few coats of enamel would hide the nasty lamitions and make them look a WHOLE lot better.

Heavy
08-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Dura coat would help. Lots of colors to choose from.

Hang Fire
08-01-2008, 03:45 PM
That taint reglar plywood. If you like laminated stocks, that looks pretty good. Looks like it is all hardwood all the way through without any of the "pulp" wood cross grained layers you usually get.

Methinks it is solid core Baltic Birch, which is some neat stuff.