PDA

View Full Version : Boolit lube/pitcher pump?

woody1
07-25-2017, 03:58 PM
I'm in the process of replacing the leather on a pitcher pump. It took two days of penetrating oil and heat to separate the plunger cage from the plunger cage nut due to rust. All the metal parts are iron and I'd like to limit rusting as much as possible. I'm thinking that coating the threads with something waxlike would help. I've seen paraffin wax suggested but I think it would be likely to flake and my experience with it on traps wasn't real good either. Bees wax IMO would better. What do y'all think? I've even considered using FWFL and yeah this is for drinking water but what would it hurt? Ideas? Thanks and

country gent
07-25-2017, 04:05 PM
Ive seen beeswax used and it does help another might be to powder coat the parts and seal in that manner. Greases and oils are out since its drinking water. There are some food grade never siezes available also. Beeswax applied to warm parts then reapplied after assembly while warmed is probably the easiest though.

TexasGrunt
07-25-2017, 05:19 PM
A good lightweight food grade grease would be my #1 choice. If you have a restaurant supply close they'll have it in stock.

Bookworm
07-25-2017, 05:41 PM
Food grade silicone grease.

woody1
07-26-2017, 11:52 AM
Ah ha how about Silicone Faucet Grease?

woody1
07-26-2017, 02:49 PM
Well, I used the Master Plumber version of silicone faucet grease. I was reminded by some of you who replied that I had some. I hope it will make disassembly easier next time. I'll try to remember to report back when the new leather wears out again in 30-40 years!

Leslie Sapp
07-26-2017, 09:36 PM
Try to find an aluminum plunger cage, and then replace every nut and bolt on the pump with stainless. I did that to the pump at our camp and 17 hunting seasons later, we can easily get it apart to replace both leathers when we need to.

baogongmeo
07-26-2017, 10:06 PM
Do like you're waxing traps... Get a metal container large enough to submerge your parts in... fill it up to within a couple of inches from the top with water... set it to a rolling boil( do this outdoors not indoors) . Melt a couple of lbs of canning paraffin in the water. Wrap a piece of wire to each piece that you're waxing. Lower them into the water and let them sit on the bottom for a minute or so... slowly pull them one at a time out of the water being mindful that there will be HOT wax dripping from them... use the wire to hang them from a nearby fence or clothesline being careful to keep children and pets away during the entire process. The wax floats on top of the water and if the metal item is hot enough when you pull it up through the wax, the wax will bond very well. Be safe, do this outside, wear long pants not shorts, wear safety glasses, don't get burned!

Alstep
07-26-2017, 11:23 PM
I use toilet ring wax on stuff like that. I even put on wheel lug nuts, and here in NY where they spread salt on the roads, corrosion is terrible. Never had one seize up yet. Even use it on the bead of tractor tires, years later it's easy to break the bead from the rim. Great on any bolt & nut used outside. It's cheep and messy, but it works.