PDA

View Full Version : M/N muzzle puzzle

Lead melter
07-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Got a new M44 M/N today at Gander Mountain. Something looked strange at the muzzle. When I looked closely I found about an inch and a half of rifling free barrel at the muzzle. It has not been worn off, as there is a definite step in the barrel where the rifling ends and the free area begins. This indicates a machined operation.

My other M44s don't have this, but they are 1954 and 1955 vintage Russians while this is a 1944 issue Russian.

Any ideas?

Jack Stanley
07-29-2008, 09:26 PM
I have a otherwise nice M38 with the same thing . The story I got was that it was done to save the barrel after the russian conscripts had worn the rifling off with their steel cleaning rods .
They must have worn mine out again because it still doesn't shoot all that well .

Jack

beemer
07-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Your rifle has been counter bored. The crown or rifling at the muzzle was worn or damaged and it has been reamed out. I have seen a good many of them.

Lead Melter, did you buy it at the Gander Mountain off of I-77 in Moresville? I didn't know they kept milsurps but I haven't been there in a while.

If you ever get to Hickory N.C. you need to find Ledford's Trading Post, if you haven't already. They keep milsurps, black powder, odd ammo and all sorts of good plunder. They are good folks and run an honest business.

beemer

trooperdan
07-29-2008, 11:26 PM
As Beemer said, just counter-bored in an effort to salvage a worn or damaged muzzle. It is very common in the Com Bloc surplus rifles.

trickyasafox
07-29-2008, 11:47 PM
I have an m44 and a m38 - both are counter bored.

EMC45
07-30-2008, 06:02 AM
My M38 is counter bored.

Lead melter
07-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Lead Melter, did you buy it at the Gander Mountain off of I-77 in Moresville? I didn't know they kept milsurps but I haven't been there in a while.

If you ever get to Hickory N.C. you need to find Ledford's Trading Post, if you haven't already. They keep milsurps, black powder, odd ammo and all sorts of good plunder. They are good folks and run an honest business.

beemer

Yep, that's the place, $149.99 plus tax. These rifles came from a distributor in Pennsylvania, I believe, called RGuns. They have the M44 for $79 plus shipping and whatever fee the FFL holder charges. Finding a dealer around here who will order something special is almost impossible, but the one I did find wanted $30 just to order. Figured I'd do better at least seeing what I'm buying.

Ledford's Trading Post...let me see a 6' 6" bearded, barefoot man on Springs Road who is in love with genuine black powder and curses any substitute. Been there, nice folks

beemer
07-30-2008, 03:30 PM
I see you have met Scott.

beemer

trooperdan
07-30-2008, 05:21 PM
Lead Melter, invest $30 for a three year C&R FFL and you can order those direct.. and many more as well! Why, in no time at all you'll save yourself right into financial ruin! :)

fireflyfather
07-30-2008, 08:34 PM
A lot of those rifles were done assembley-line style at a soviet arsenal, for "re-arsenalizing". They were counter-bored, whether they needed it or not.

Ed Barrett
08-01-2008, 03:54 AM
I had a French 7.5 military MAS 36 bolt rifle that was counter bored, and it was a very accurate rifle for cast loads. You never did get a "lube star" though.

C1PNR
08-02-2008, 04:30 PM
I once picked up an inexpensive K98k RC that just wouldn't shoot for sour apples. I took it to my friendly neighborhood Gunsmith and he diagnosed a bad crown. So he counter-bored it about 1/4" or maybe even a little less.

Man, what a difference. It's no sniper rifle, but the groups shrank to where it wasn't a shotgun pattern anymore.

I know some people don't like the arsenal reworked milsurps, but if it included a new barrel to replace one that was worn out, I'm all for it.

Shiloh
08-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Got a new M44 M/N today at Gander Mountain. Something looked strange at the muzzle. When I looked closely I found about an inch and a half of rifling free barrel at the muzzle. It has not been worn off, as there is a definite step in the barrel where the rifling ends and the free area begins. This indicates a machined operation.

My other M44s don't have this, but they are 1954 and 1955 vintage Russians while this is a 1944 issue Russian.

Any ideas?

Yep,

Just like said in Jack Stanley's post and others, they were counter bored
I can't recall ever seeing on that wasn't. My sons M44 cabine is as well.

More rifles, both surplus and modern, are damaged and made into inaccurate junk by improper cleaning techniques. A cleaning rod in short order improperly used, does more damage than thousand of rounds of ammo. CLEAN FROM THE BREECH !!

I have a Greek return M1903 Springfield re-barreled in 2-45 that has virtually no rifling the last two inches of an already worn out barrel the barrel. It shot 5 -6 inch groups with jacketed bullets, better with low velocity cast. Plus having the novelty of key-holed bullets on the target. Now it has a new Douglas Premium barrel and shoots about 2 inches with jacketed and about the same with cast, providing I do my part. I still shoot 90% cast

Things open up with barrel warming and my 50+ year old eye fatigue:-D

Shiloh :castmine: