PDA

View Full Version : I need some help PLEASE!

gcollins
07-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Howdy Pards,
I have a 1987 CVA musket, and the nipple treads are bad, and since I know nothing about muzzle loaders, i saw on one of supply stores on line that you can buy the barrel bolt, this one seems to be in there pretty good, what would help me a lot is to know is are they rh. or lh treads? I assume they are light all gun screws, but before I put a small pipe wrech on the barrel bolt I could use all the advice I can get!! I am sure i can retap it to a bigger coarser thread, but that isn't the proper way to fix it!
Please help!

Thanks Greg

R.M.
07-29-2008, 08:38 PM
I am sure i can retap it to a bigger coarser thread, but that isn't the proper way to fix it!

Acually, it is about the best way. You can buy oversized nipples of the same thread pitch, as well as ones the next size up. There are various BP parts houses out there that sell the parts that you'd need. Track of the Wolf and Dixie are a couple of good places to start.
Replacing the drum should be a last resort, as getting the nipple lined up with the cock isn't an easy chore.

Good luck, and if you run into more problems, don't be afraid to ask.

Buckshot
07-30-2008, 01:58 AM
................What "Barrel Bolt" are you talking about? Do you mean the tang screw or the breech plug?

..............Buckshot

gcollins
07-30-2008, 07:02 AM
Dixie Gun works, show the barrel bolt with thread that screw into somr of the side of the barrel and then you screw your nipple in. I might be wrong but they called it a barrel bolt I think! t's call a drum!
I might try the re tap first?
Greg

madcaster
08-16-2008, 09:40 PM
I think that if the gun is a sidehammer I would drill and tap to a SAE thread-the 1/4X28 or 5/16X18TPI Musket threads...BUT CHECK FIRST to see if you will have enough ,meat there to accept a 1/4 X 28 TPI!

nicholst55
08-17-2008, 02:23 AM
If it's a CVA the threads are doubtless metric. I'll bet that Dixie Gun Works can help you out - give them a call at 731-885-0700 . If they can't help you, try Track of the Wolf at 763-633-2500.