PDA

View Full Version : One expensive mold

AbitNutz
07-24-2017, 10:46 AM
I've settled on pretty much one bullet for most all my 45 pistols. I use a Magma 185 gr SWC BB HP NLG coated with Hi-Tek in my Master Caster (H&G #68 copy). It slides right through my bullet feeder and never leads anything. Erik at Hollow Point Mold Service put in two large hollow points.

As you can imagine, this one expensive mold but since I use it for everything from my 45 acp to 460 Rowland to 45 Colt and now and then 454 Casull, it's paid off.

I'm now going to try and do the same thing with all my 9mm/38 Super/ 357 Mag needs. I'm going with the Magma 09-147-FP-BB NLG and coat with Hi-Tek. Magma will kindly drop ship the mold right to Erik for him to convert them to hollow points.

Almost all my revolvers are Colts that run tight so the bullet won't have to be sized to much in either direction.

I understand this bullet started life as a hollow point...some law enforcement folks, highway patrol maybe, ordered it for their needs. It makes sense, it looks like it should have been a HP all along.

bedbugbilly
07-24-2017, 08:41 PM
Hmmmm . . . after moving and having to pack, unpack and finally take a up to date inventory of my molds, I have to agree with you. If you can find one design/weight that works for everything you have, then spending a little more on a good custom mold instead of a lot on a wide variety of molds makes perfect sense - at least to me.

I am to the point of where I'm thinking that I want to downsize my molds to where I have one for the 38/357 - one of the 9mm (which will also work in my 38 Colt Short/Long loads), one for my 45s and one for my .380 loads. With what I have accumulated over the last 50 years in molds, I can sell off the ones I don't want to keep and probably easily afford a decent 3 or 4 cavity mold and it would sure be a lot easier to store four molds than what I have now.

HATCH
07-24-2017, 09:53 PM
I had a 40/180 done.
It cast some perfect boolits.

I want to send some more off to get done but it's expensive.

I might send off a 38 but I am torn between a swc or a rnfp

AbitNutz
07-25-2017, 09:37 AM
It's sinfully expensive but they seem to be like Snap On tools. If I get them all to shoot well then I have very few config changes to make to my Dillon 650 and my Frankenstein bullet feeder. There should be no experimenting or twiddling to make them start to spew loaded rounds. If I have 10 different molds it is an absolute certainty that I will never get the 650 and bullet feeder tweaked enough to make any.

The combination of the Dillon 650, GSI/MBF bullet feeder and a known good bullet design coated with Hi-Tek should let me just pump out ammo for the vast majoity of my guns.