PDA

View Full Version : Colt 1851 Navy, 2nd. gen.

DLCTEX
07-29-2008, 07:34 PM
I recently bought 2 spare cylinders from lastmanout that were for a Pietta 36 Navy. I wasn't sure if they would fit my Colt as I understand it was made by Uberti, but the price for 2 unfired cylinders was low enough that I knew I could get my money back if they didn'twork. Today I tried them and found they were too long by about 1/16 inch. Otherwise they worked fine and looked demensionally the same. I considered the options: facing the cyls. down-- machine job and probably expensive, selling them and buying correct ones- lots of hassel and would cost more than what I would get from the sale, or remove material from the forcing cone to make them fit. The cylinder that I had was a sorry substitute that a gunsmith had stuck me with when the original was lost (long story). I opted to remove the material from the forcing cone, which I did in my shop and took less than hour to do. They fit and look great and seem to line up better than the sorry one. Some cold bluing touched up the metal. Maybe this reduced the collector value, if any but it was already compromised and we shoot it a lot and plan to keep doing so, so collector value was already deminished. I have figured out that a washer epoxied to the back of the old cyl will space it forward and make it work with the new dementions. so that will be done in the future. I really like this pistol and love shooting it. I've got to make some paper cartridges for it as I learned from this site. DALE