PDA

View Full Version : Perplexed about my 38 die set and loading 357

ghh3rd
07-23-2017, 08:10 PM
I am confused ... maybe I'm having a brain fart, I had a long stressful day, and decided to load some 357 to relax.

I pulled out my 38 die set like I did a couple of weeks ago. It went well back then, but not very well this time.

The brass looks like it's being crimped before the boolit has travelled very far into the case. I noticed that the Lee die only says .38 -- not 38/357. I guess that's what happens to your mag brass if you use a 38 only die.

My dilemma is that I don't know how I was able to load 357 a couple of weeks ago. I only have one set of 38 dies.

Any thoughts.

Edit - by the way, I backed the die out four+ turns rather than three when I discovered that I was having an issue... seams no matter how far out I have the die, it "crimps".

Randy

sawinredneck
07-23-2017, 08:16 PM
Just back the dies off? You should be able to place a loaded .357 round in, run it up and screw the die down until it touches?

wbrco
07-23-2017, 08:22 PM
Loosen the lock rings and back the die out. The Lee seating die also crimps if set far enough in. That's a taper crimp unlike the factory crimp die, which can also swage a cast bullet in the case.

Use that with soft(er) bullets and your life will be easier.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

ghh3rd
07-23-2017, 08:32 PM
I regrouped - backed the stem out all the way, screwed the die down until it reached the unseated boolit and backed the die out a little to avoid crimping, and locked it down... then screwed the stem down until it was pushing the boolit to where I want it.

I don't know what I was thinking... not rocket science but it just didn't click this time. :veryconfu

OS OK
07-23-2017, 08:51 PM
When you do have a successful run at the press with a specific profile of cast, regardless of caliber...make a dummy round and it will be very fast and simple to reset the dies to what that profile requires.
The problem you will experience after this will be from brass that has lengthened over time...you need to trim from time to time to keep those brass rims tucking into the crimp groove just right.

rond
07-24-2017, 08:28 AM
My RCBS dies came with a washer to go under the die to switch from .38 to .357, works if you are using the same boolit.

wbrco
07-24-2017, 09:04 AM
make a dummy round and it will be very fast and simple to reset the dies to what that profile requires.

And make sure you mark them so you remember what they are!

Does make changes a lot easier. I really want 2 more sets (I have 2 already) - 38 cast, 357 cast, 38 jacketed, 357 jacketed. Then it's as simple as swapping turrets.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

sniper
07-24-2017, 12:42 PM
As was mentioned...whenever anything goes wrong with reloading...STOP, evaluate, and hit the red RESET button! Comfortable chair in the reloading room...chin in hand...What did I do wrong??? :mrgreen:

Years ago, I suddenly started having difficulties with my reloading set up. :confused: Then I remembered that my 5 year old son was "helping" me reload that day. He had screwed anything screwable down as far as it would go! Easily fixed... :) I liked having him help me...and my Grandson, too.:mrgreen: They don't stay little very long!

Off-topic...but one of the best hunting memories I have is hiking with him up the side of a mountain during the deer hunt. He saw some deer on the next slope, at what had to be about a quarter of a mile away, and said "Let's go there!" It had taken us about an hour and a quarter to climb to where we were, but, I made sure the rifle was saftied, grabbed him with the other hand , and straight down the mountain we went. Took us all of 5 minutes to lose all the altitude we had climbed, and the deer were at least 500 yards away, heading over the next range, waaaay beyond my ability with the rifle! Altogether, a good day!:):)

gwpercle
07-24-2017, 01:39 PM
When you do have a successful run at the press with a specific profile of cast, regardless of caliber...make a dummy round and it will be very fast and simple to reset the dies to what that profile requires.
The problem you will experience after this will be from brass that has lengthened over time...you need to trim from time to time to keep those brass rims tucking into the crimp groove just right.

Big time good advice. Dummies make die readjustment a no brainer, without them , you have to reinvent the wheel every time you load . Speeds things up to boot.
Gary