PDA

View Full Version : Lyman No.55, but not the way you're accustomed to seeing one

jrmartin1964
07-22-2017, 10:13 PM
A Lyman No.55 Powder Measure, but without the micrometer adjustment on the powder slides...

Quite literally, not much more than the old Ideal No.5 with a paint job and a clear powder reservoir.

Pressman
07-23-2017, 06:49 AM
That the way they were from '47 till about '53. Memory is lacking coffee this morning.

You can take the micrometer from a newer one and drop it into a #5, creating a 5-55. No fitting necessary.
Not to be confused with the #5 micrometer model, that is a different horse.

Ken

jrmartin1964
07-23-2017, 07:36 AM
That the way they were from '47 till about '53. Memory is lacking coffee this morning.
Ken

Coffee deficient or not, your memory serves you well!

Char-Gar
07-23-2017, 12:20 PM
I have several such Lyman 55s and while taking a little longer to set, still do an admirable job. These measure have a very interesting history with quite a few changes as they evolved.

Pressman
07-23-2017, 08:32 PM
I don't yet have all the written information from the old #55 Project website, though I do have all the 55's that Gene used for testing and research. Along with all the related Ideal measures he had.
Ken

Char-Gar
07-23-2017, 10:10 PM
I don't yet have all the written information from the old #55 Project website, though I do have all the 55's that Gene used for testing and research. Along with all the related Ideal measures he had.
Ken

I hope somebody can post all the information that was on the old #55 Project website. I should have printed it all off but I did not. I think I now have one of every variation from the introduction in 1947 until Lyman sold out. Mine are all functional and in use, but certainly not pristine collector's items.

Pressman
07-24-2017, 08:15 AM
I am still working with Gene to get the information.
They are all collectors items, some are just prettier than others.
Ken

Hamish
07-25-2017, 03:03 PM
The 55, no matter the innards, is still my favorite measure,,,,,,,.

6 of them isn't too many, is it?

Pressman
07-25-2017, 05:11 PM
Only 6, Hamish? The 55 project is 50 #55's

Plus what I already had.
Ken

Char-Gar
07-25-2017, 05:13 PM
The 55, no matter the innards, is still my favorite measure,,,,,,,.

6 of them isn't too many, is it?

Certainly not. I have 11. Get in gear and catch up.

too many things
07-25-2017, 06:35 PM
the sad thing is when lyman made the reservoir it was good, but as the newer powders with nitro was made it would eat the plastic . the newer type has a different material have one in the gray paint but its just not the same as the orange, works the same ,but it dont look the same

Hamish
07-25-2017, 11:14 PM
I've always been comfortable with being a bottom feeder with antique wood working tools and reloading gear, but apparently I'm a bit of a piker too,,,,,,,:) I guess I could justify a powder drop for every powder I use,,,,,that's logical, isn't it? :Fire:

Funny the mention of the gray's, it just doesn't "feel" the same when used, something just seems "different", and I don't mean the paint.

Pressman
07-26-2017, 06:35 AM
I agree, that navy gray color just is not right.

Hamish, antique wood working tools is another all consuming hobby, I know. I had to sell my dad's extensive collection last fall for lack of space in my garage. 2500 pounds of tools to an auction site. I was able to keep a half dozen. They can be equally as fascinating as reloading tools.
Ken

TNsailorman
07-26-2017, 09:51 AM
I like old things. Guns, tools, wood, steel, whatever. I've got my eye on an old iron bed right now. The thing must be close to 100 years old, a little older than I am but not by that much. I don't mind being old but it is unhandy at times. I am restoring an old cartridge box right now. I am slowing cleaning it with saddle soap and hand rubbing. It started out as a "throw it in a trashcan case" but with a couple of hours of patient rubbing and buffing, beneath all that grime I am beginning to see real honest and good condition leather. The leather is a lot better preserved than it first looked and I think it is going to turn out nice once I get finished. Not much value I admit but a labor of love. james

Rattlesnake Charlie
07-26-2017, 10:28 AM
I'd like to see a photo of that cartridge box.

robg
07-26-2017, 03:42 PM
I've got a 55 thats been used by me since 82 ,got a Lee ppm just for the very light loads as it seems more consistent on those small volumes .

Char-Gar
07-26-2017, 04:22 PM
As noted, I like the Lyman 55 and have a bunch of them. A couple of years back, I bought a powder measure weight from a guy that sells them on Ebay. I have one that fits my 55s. With this weight in place and with consistent throwing technique the accuracy is outstanding. I have one 55 set for 2.0 grains of Bullseye. Each charge will be 2.0 grains not 1.9 or 2.1 but 2.0. You don't use the knocker with this gizmo. Similar accuracy is expected with the other 55 with this weight in place.

Hamish
07-26-2017, 08:32 PM
Charles,

When you fill the reservoir, do you "settle" the powder, do you throw a few first, or do you go straight to loading with the weight on top?

Hamish
07-26-2017, 08:47 PM
I agree, that navy gray color just is not right.

Hamish, antique wood working tools is another all consuming hobby, I know. I had to sell my dad's extensive collection last fall for lack of space in my garage. 2500 pounds of tools to an auction site. I was able to keep a half dozen. They can be equally as fascinating as reloading tools.
Ken

It was a labor of love to make the base, cove, and window moulding in the last addition on the house with my 45.

Stanley 45 that is,,,,,,,,

Char-Gar
07-27-2017, 02:33 PM
Charles,

When you fill the reservoir, do you "settle" the powder, do you throw a few first, or do you go straight to loading with the weight on top?

I settle the bottom part of the weight on the powder to make it fit flat and I throw about ten charges back into the powder jug before I start throwing for keeps.

Green Frog
08-07-2017, 12:52 PM
One of the first trades I made over 20 years ago with my "brother from a different mother," Dale53 was for one of those early slide-type Number 55s he had owned for many years. I found it a bit less handy to adjust, but wanted it to fill a spot in my collection between the late #5 and the more commonly seen micro adjust #55. Just to show it could be done I also installed a later #55 rotor into an old #5 body I had laying around. The outer diameter of the rotors has been unchanged from the nineteen teens to the newest ones I've checked.

Froggie

mazo kid
08-08-2017, 12:05 PM
"A couple of years back, I bought a powder measure weight from a guy that sells them on Ebay".
Can you tell me what the overall weight is on your accessory? I would think something like that would work on most hopper type measures.

Valley-Shooter
08-08-2017, 04:09 PM
Can you tell me what the overall weight is on your accessory? I would think something like that would work on most hopper type measures.

The guy on eBay still makes them. He makes them for many different powder measures. Just do a search on eBay and you will find them. I've been wanting to buy one for awhile, but the funds aren't available.

Eldon
08-08-2017, 11:53 PM
Great measures, I have 7. Specially good for ball powders.

Eldon
08-09-2017, 12:02 AM
thanks for the info on the weights. just bought 1 each 55 and rcbs,

6GUNSONLY
09-11-2017, 11:17 PM
How old is this 55? Bought it at a gun show about 15 years ago NIB. I had a 70s vintage 55 when I first got into reloading (in the mid 70s). Traded it off for unknown reasons. This is the one I use most. Also have this Redding, which is also excellent.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1586/13748079/24747904/413546142.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1586/13748079/24747904/413546141.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1586/13748079/24747904/413546139.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1586/13748079/24747904/413546140.jpg

marlinman93
09-12-2017, 01:32 PM
I own old Lyman 55, Ideal #1, #5 and duplex #6 powder measures. I use them all for loading occasionally, just for fun. They work very well, but can be tedious to get them set exactly where I want. Once set they do as good as any modern powder measures!
But I'll stick with my Harrell's Precision for serious loading, as it's way faster, and easier to set up!

BarkEater
12-16-2017, 08:15 AM
I'm glad I found this post, I just acquired one of these in trade...and was going to post a picture and ask about the manufacture year. Actually have it set up, and it throws very consistently. I really like the older reloading components. Thanks for the info guys.
Mike

dubber123
12-16-2017, 08:46 AM
I'm glad I found this post, I just acquired one of these in trade...and was going to post a picture and ask about the manufacture year. Actually have it set up, and it throws very consistently. I really like the older reloading components. Thanks for the info guys.
Mike

I see you are getting on board with how useful having extra powder drops is :) Good thing I gathered a few before you started swiping them all out from under me..

BarkEater
12-16-2017, 11:26 PM
Hey Dub, don't let my lack of knowledge slow you down in collecting cool old vintagey stuff...I will always have room for a few more of yours. Haha

whtsmoke
04-09-2018, 07:40 PM
This thread may be a year old but still a youngster according to the topic. i also have an affair with the 55 and after reading these and seeing the picture of the powder weight inside the hopper is making me to get my tail in gear and turn one out on the lathe to try it. Thank you for your little history lesson.

country gent
04-09-2018, 11:12 PM
I have a few powder measures, RCBS both uniflow and little dandy, Belding and Mull, Harrels a standard and shutzen model, Old herters, reddings br 30 and a old one with side adjust, And a couple Ive made. I just bought a Lyman 55 converted it to black powder style but haven't used it yet other than to test it.
The harrels are nice for their accuracy and repeatability. Very accurate with almost any powder and 20 clicks is the same any time you set it there.
The uniflow has the micrometer adjust upgrade and repeats good but not like the harrels do.
The Lil Dandy is accurate and a bushing stays the same every time
The redding br30 is very good and with the micrometer repeats well
the old reding and herters are accurate the side dials are a pain to set and don't repeat well
The Belding and mulls are unique in that they use a separate measuring tube. One tube is a pain to reset for different charges but tubes are easy to make and a tube dedicated to each pet or favorite load is very do able and similar to bushings once set they are set.
The Lymann 55 I upgraded to the aluminum hopper and a custom drop tube, and added a baffle. I squared the slides ends and deburred the slides and bushing also. While I haven't loaded with it I have tested it with f,ff, and 1 1/2f powders throwing 100 charges weighing each one. It did very well and was easy to operate. Setting to a charge can be added by measuring with a set of calipers. The old culiver measures and harrels are upgrades of the lyman 55 with better adjustments to make repeating a setting easier. The Lymann measures do a very good job for the cost. MAke a powder measure sometime and see the work that goes into it.