PDA

View Full Version : Rough Rossi?

joatmon
07-21-2017, 09:56 PM
Shot my new (wal-mart)Rossi yesterday and found a whole new meaning for rough!! The DVD from Steve's guns on slicking the Rossi, does it show how to slick em up without buying a bunch of parts or is it new parts biased
hanks Aaron.

DerekP Houston
07-21-2017, 10:01 PM
Shot my new (wal-mart)Rossi yesterday and found a whole new meaning for rough!! The DVD from Steve's guns on slicking the Rossi, does it show how to slick em up without buying a bunch of parts or is it new parts biased
hanks Aaron.

It's mostly disassembling and smoothing things out with sandpaper/dremel. The only parts I replaced per his recommendation was a spring kit and the plastic follower for the magazine tube. I highly recommend the dvd, bought a copy myself and gifted it on to another member here.

rondog
07-21-2017, 11:08 PM
Almost done doing that to my .45 Rossi. No big thing, mostly common sense and YouTube videos. I have a good set of gunsmithing stones, small needle files, punches, Dremel, all kinds of gunsmiffing tools - they come in handy.

But man, talk about some crude machine work! Guess they figured us dumb redneck Americans would never take them apart. We need an AMERICAN manufacturer to buy Rossi and start making those '92's RIGHT!!! Too damn good of a design to let them fade away. Best leverguns ever IMO.

Bzcraig
07-21-2017, 11:47 PM
What they said....easy peasy

Greg S
07-22-2017, 01:59 AM
For the first timer or seasoned lever gunner I'm sure there is a trick or two in the DVD to help ya smooth out its cycling. I picked it up to figure out a little hitch just before the breach locks up. Seriously, I think the info was good and also order a complete set of actions springs. They are wy oversprung from the factory. No sense getting pissed off just to cycle your lever gun 'like it should be'. Watch the vid, do the mods and you'll be surprised at how smooth they can operate. Heck, you spend 30 bucks at Starnuts in a week if ya drink coffee there.

joatmon
07-22-2017, 02:52 AM
Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll look for one before I tare into this one, my 73 is slick as snot after watching the u-tube vid's and working it over. Thanks to you 'all. Aaron

Smoke4320
07-22-2017, 07:24 AM
Steve's guns DVD is a great help
step by step directions to get it very slick.
As others said only parts you MAY want it the spring and metal mag follower

Walkingwolf
07-22-2017, 07:36 AM
All I did with my Marlins's was sit watching TV, and cycling the actions. This method of slicking a gun up has worked with every gun I own. Good hand exercise too.

trapper9260
07-22-2017, 08:07 AM
All I did with my Marlins's was sit watching TV, and cycling the actions. This method of slicking a gun up has worked with every gun I own. Good hand exercise too.When you cycling your rifle .About long do you do it for? i was wondering on that.

Smoke4320
07-22-2017, 12:29 PM
changing the ejector spring was a major upgrade for me .. no more brass 10 ft away ..

Walkingwolf
07-22-2017, 12:57 PM
When you cycling your rifle .About long do you do it for? i was wondering on that.

Probably about 30 minutes a day for a week or more.

trapper9260
07-22-2017, 01:16 PM
Ok thank you Now i got some work to do then .Thank you again

fecmech
07-22-2017, 03:14 PM
Probably about 30 minutes a day for a week or more.
Or, you can polish the ejector shank, go to Ace Hardware and get a spring with half the wire thickness for a couple bucks and be done with it. You will get rid of most of the roughness on closing the action by doing this. As a bonus your ejected empties remain in your zip code!

Walkingwolf
07-22-2017, 04:02 PM
Or, you can polish the ejector shank, go to Ace Hardware and get a spring with half the wire thickness for a couple bucks and be done with it. You will get rid of most of the roughness on closing the action by doing this. As a bonus your ejected empties remain in your zip code!

The problem with the above is the word 'you'. YOU do what works for you, do not assume to instruct me unless I ask YOU to.

HATCH
07-22-2017, 04:25 PM
The problem with the above is the word 'you'. YOU do what works for you, do not assume to instruct me unless I ask YOU to.

YOU should watch how YOU respond.
Fechmech was just trying to give you some helpful advise in this thread.

Please choose your response to my post carefully.

missionary5155
07-22-2017, 04:32 PM
Greetings
Personally as an owner of 3 Rossi and one sold the two NIB carbines were well served by doing very much the same as "fecmech" suggested. That spring is powerful enough to launch 45 Colt brass like an SKS does 7.62x39 brass.
Mike in Peru

Walkingwolf
07-22-2017, 07:58 PM
YOU should watch how YOU respond.
Fechmech was just trying to give you some helpful advise in this thread.

Please choose your response to my post carefully.

He was out of bounds, talking about how I do things is not the same as telling others what to do, which is what he did. I did not, my post was clear as to what I did with my rifle, didn't tell anyone else to do it. Even on the internet it is very impolite to tell others what to do.

But if you were offended by my response I apologize.

Texas by God
07-22-2017, 11:33 PM
Sounds to me like Fecmech was talking to the op, not you WW. Both of you were trying to help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

HATCH
07-23-2017, 07:26 AM
He was out of bounds, talking about how I do things is not the same as telling others what to do, which is what he did. I did not, my post was clear as to what I did with my rifle, didn't tell anyone else to do it. Even on the internet it is very impolite to tell others what to do.

But if you were offended by my response I apologize.

Your answer was out of bounds.
It would be totally different if you started this thread.
But you didn't.
You were just putting in your two cents like he was.

When explaining how to fix something I always give instructions as 'orders'.
With you being used a lot.

There is no need for a hostile response on a thread with attitude.

This is a warning to everyone that reads this.
Hostile responses and attitudes will not be tolerated on CB.
If you take offense so easily especially over someone explaining how YOU should do something to correct a problem then maybe YOU should just read and not post.

This discussion is over with.
If anyone has a issue with what I have posted please feel free to use the report button and report it. Mods aren't above the rules either.

Just keep in mind to that you need to backup the report with a reason why.

Charles

phonejack
07-23-2017, 08:23 AM
After I bought mine I disassembled it and used a jewels file and a hard Arkansas stone to remove rough edges. I also washed away ( with water ) the sorry water based stain on the wood and refinished .

rond
07-23-2017, 10:08 AM
Mine was pretty good right out of the box but after firing a few rounds it locked up solid, wouldn't eject. I took it apart and cleaned it, haven't had any problems since. I did not see anything in the action to cause it to jam, I guess it fell out when I cleaned it.

Jackpine
07-23-2017, 10:17 AM
Some of the Cowboy shooters have actually been known to smear the insides of their firearms with polishing toothpaste and then cycling. While simply cycling, with or without an abrasive, I have always felt that this will wear not only the parts you want slicked up, but things that you may not necessarily want worn. I believe VERY judicious polishing (read Dremel tool can be dangerous) of the proper parts will do a better job.

Here is a link that includes some suggestions on 92s, along with several other guns, which you may find helpful.
http://marauder.homestead.com/Rifles.html

Best of luck,

Jackpine

Petrol & Powder
07-23-2017, 10:35 AM
I didn't have the advantage of a DVD but I did manage to improve a Rossi lever action that I once owned. I was happy with the gun once I smoothed up the action and it was a good rifle. Sold it to fund something else years ago and wished I would have held onto it. Oh well, such is life. Maybe I'll pick up another one.

Speedo66
07-23-2017, 12:13 PM
The ejector spring replacement is the Century C-530, available on Ebay, Amazon, or your local hardware store.

Working the action while watching a TV show or two was all it needed to smooth it out.

yeahbub
07-28-2017, 12:54 PM
I happened upon an octo .357 '92 that must have had truck springs for both the ejector and the hammer. Overly strong springs pre-load the action with a good bit of drag when cycling, as well as abuse of the brass on ejection. Steve (of Steve's Gunz) once mentioned the heavier springs also give the impression of a tight action without the need for holding tight tolerances on moving parts. They also introduce premature wear on most of the action. This was also a problem on the prototype 1886's produced by Miroku some years back when Browning re-introduced the '86's. The article I read said the prototypes were very difficult to operate, hence, back to the drawing board, and production models are correct. The easy answer for springs is replacement with correct versions from Steve's Gunz/Nate Kiowa Jones. As for burrs and tooling marks, Steve's DVD gives complete details on how to smooth them up. His on-lin videos show how easily a proper '92 should cycle. Be careful with the use of a power tool like a dremel - it's really really easy to remove too much material.

By the way, slug the bore, not only to determine bore and groove diameters, but also whether there are any tight or loose spots or if it's tight at the breach and loose at the muzzle. This can be corrected rather easily with pressure-lapping. Most will accommodate jacketed ammo, a goodly number with cast as well but sometimes accuracy can be . . . indifferent. No problem, this can be fixed at home. I usually get it done in 20 rounds or so, more if it has a nasty tight spot, usually at the rear sight dovetail. They'll shoot cast very nicely once the irregularities are cleaned up and they're consistent from one end to the other.

Buckshot
07-31-2017, 01:46 AM
................Also a word to the wise regarding parts. There are certain 'Restricted' parts which the folks at Rossi cannot ship to you. I like to keep what I consider 'Consumables' on hand for many of my rifles. Especially those produced offshore. Believe it or not, the Ejector is restricted, and you have to send the rifle back to them to have a new one fitted.

In addition to a Rossi M92 rifle, I have another Rossi which is a short rifle in 38-357, and a Miroku produced M92 in 45 Colt. Many of the parts from the Miroku will fit the Rossi's. Numrich (GPC) has many of the Miroku parts listed at fairly friendly prices. I availed myself of a couple extractors, ejectors, springs, pins, etc.

I found this out when I first took my M92 x 45 Colt apart. The hammer screw/tang screw was stripped. I bought the correct tap and retapped the hole. I called Rossi (which was a joy :-) in itself) I told them the action was color cased and I needed a blued screw. They sent me a stainless one. I called back, they found me in the computer, apologized and assured me I'd get the correct screw, FREE. I got another stainless screw!

I went to GPC and ordered the screw. It was beautify blued, and screwed right in. I'd also ordered a new ejector spring. Fit perfectly, and now my brass ends up on the ground at my right foot, and not in the next time zone. On the strength of that, is when I turned around having made up a list of stuff I'd like to have as spares, and ordered them from GPC.

/www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Winchester-33573/Rifles-42602/1892MadeInJapan-40287.htm?page=1

The above addy is for GPC.

..............Buckshot