PDA

View Full Version : Scrap Lead Prices

Scorpion8
07-19-2017, 11:57 PM
Posted a local want-ad for lead ballast plates, and only got one reply. Except the dude had 190# of lead in a single block. Zoikes! Besides my initial shock, he wanted $2/#. So my question is, does that sound like a fair price, and how easy is it to reduce that block to manageable sizes? Sawzall with metal blade? Pocket knife?

BK7saum
07-20-2017, 12:54 AM
I wouldn't pay $2/# for unknown lead when you can buy known wheelweight ot pure/soft here for $1/# shipped or $1/# plus shipping. For $1.50/# Id be looking for certified foundry alloy or a good deal on lino for $2/#

Chill Wills
07-20-2017, 01:06 AM
Yup. He is dreaming and I would not give him the time of day.

35 to 50 cents a pound for that would be my top offer.

I would have five twenty dollar bills in my pocket and wave four of them at him. One more to make the deal if needed and never look back if he wants more.

The world is still full of inexpensive lead. Hang in there.

Bazoo
07-20-2017, 01:19 AM
Im curious as to the going price of lead in SE-AK.

lightman
07-20-2017, 06:04 AM
$2 a pound for unknown lead is about 4 or 5 times too much, in my opinion. A chunk weighing 190# is going to be hard for some to deal with. You can cut it with a hand saw, easy enough, or any number of power tools. You can also whittle pieces off of it with an ax or a hammer and wedge. I would forget the pocket knife!:) Its a little bit of work. Like has been said, you can buy known lead from members here for $1 a pound plus shipping, already to use.

bedbugbilly
07-20-2017, 07:13 AM
Right now, if he is wanting $2/# it sounds like he has a 190# paperweight that he can will to his children . . . . .

If you don't have a scrap yard near you - you'd be better off buying from members on this site. I used to go to the scrap yards and buy lead - usually cable sheathing - then smelt it down. That source dried up. I've been buying pure lead and range lead from members here and what I consider fair prices for the work they put in to it to smelt and pour into ingots. Anything I have ever purchased here has been great stuff and it saves me from having to scrounge where I'm at.

I have a connection with a plumber that I have had do work for me and I asked him if he had any lead to please save it for me and I'd pay whatever the scrap price was for it. He said he usually saves it over time and then takes it to the scrap yard He's a younger fellow - very nice and does great work - but I can tell that he is worried about even taking it to the scrap yard and possibly having any fall of the truck for fear of causing a "contamination" problem. I'm guessing that with all the lead poisoning issues in Flint, MI, etc. that the industry is treading on soft ground when it comes to lead. He usually gets soft lead from cast iron pipe joints, flashing, etc. so hopefully I'll be able to get some from him at some point. If not, I still have a good supply on my shelf that will last me a long time.

Scorpion8
07-20-2017, 11:26 AM
Im curious as to the going price of lead in SE-AK.

That's just it, I have no basis. Most of the auto-garage wheel weight lead has been long spoken for mainly by folks making downrigger trolling weights (it's a fishing area). There isn't a huge dark market in lead that I'm aware of, so scoring some ballast plates from an old fishing vessel seemed like the next step.

Smoke4320
07-20-2017, 11:36 AM
Scorpion8
members sell good quality lead right here and USPS Shipping to AK is no more than anywhere else in the US
I would take advantage of their services and have a KNOWN product
YMMV

white eagle
07-20-2017, 11:46 AM
he must have had a bunch of labor involved that might reflect the price
but 2 bucks for lead is way out there you can get it from rotometals cheaper
and have it shipped to you

bob208
07-20-2017, 11:59 AM
I can buy pure lead at the shop for $1.35 a lb. this is pipe and sheet. around here the yards are paying .30 a lb. so I am offering .60. put an add on craigslist paying .60. got the replies of I have some I want $2.00 a lb. I told them to keep it.

fredj338
07-20-2017, 02:35 PM
You can buy from vendors here for a bit over $1/# delivered. Linotype at $2/#, all day, but not scrap lead.

JBinMN
07-20-2017, 08:26 PM
Figure out how much ya might need.

Lets say .45 cal. ... runs about 25-30 +/- using 180gr. to over 230gr. to the pound.

9mm runs a lot higher to get out of a pound, with just an example of 120gr. is about 58 or so to the pound.

It is gonna depend on what ya shoot & how much ya shoot & whether or not you "save" the lead using a berm or bullet trap.

Another thing is that you can figure out , depending on what you are using for a firearm, how ya want to alloy what ya use.

Maybe trade around for what ya want.
;)

Around here I have a place that I get sheet metal lead from X-ray demolition( with sheetrock & glue to smeltout) for about 78-80 cents a pound. If you can't do better than that, I would go with the folks here who say to buy from the vendors here.

When my, "mine" runs out... then I am going to do the same. The Vendors here are pretty good folks & not gonna cheat ya. It is their lively hood in some cases... Same with Brass..

This guy wanting $2+/- a pound is looking for a sucker... don't be a sucker... Offer him 60 cent a pound , or less (50 cents +/- if ya want) to whatever your conscience allows... in cash....
& see how he acts. If he doesn't take it.. like someone said.. let him have a big paperweight for his kids..

G'luck! But don't let having a great amount of alloy around stop ya. Use what ya can & get out there & DO IT!

Things will come around for ya.
;)
:)

JBinMN
07-20-2017, 08:50 PM
Just as an example & it is not a vendor...
See Item #5 in the OP (First post) just for an example.. ;) :
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?338230-WTS-Shotgun-Shells-amp-Soft-Lead-w-Linotype

G'Luck!

Scorpion8
07-21-2017, 08:20 PM
Well I did some checking, and my local scrap place pays $0.22/# for lead, but had none in stock if I wanted to buy it. Shucks. And I went to visit Mr.High Dollar, and he would not budge off $2/# to buy his so he still owns it. Good luck to him.

arclight
07-21-2017, 08:33 PM
Well I did some checking, and my local scrap place pays $0.22/# for lead, but had none in stock if I wanted to buy it. Shucks. And I went to visit Mr.High Dollar, and he would not budge off $2/# to buy his so he still owns it. Good luck to him.

I just sold two 70lb boxes of smelted sheet lead here for around $1.10/lb. Shipping to anywhere in the USA was about $15. Seems to be the going rate on the forum - $1-1.30/lb for low-tin alloys.

Arclight

Walter Laich
07-23-2017, 03:41 PM
agree $1.25 to $1.30 is going rate. While I love free lead this isn't bad and fair for everyone.

similar story: indoor gun range did some clean up and cast some 1 lb ingots. Wanted $4 per...still there over a year later.

Duckiller
07-23-2017, 04:10 PM
I think the price of lead is going UP. Have had to buy 3 car batteries lately and the price has doubled since I last bought batteries. My mechanic tells me that California batteries have less lead and only last 2-3 years. I think we were lied to about Doe Run. The previous admnistration lied about lots of things.

Grmps
07-23-2017, 07:05 PM
I advertise twice what the local scrap yard is paying (.40c # )and do fairly well

RogerDat
07-27-2017, 10:46 AM
At $4 per pound it should come with flowers and chocolates.
The swapping and selling forum here is the best semi-commercial source outside of a good deal found locally. And in the case of some things such as WW lead the offerings in S&S forum around $1 a pound is comparable to cost of driving around buying your own at scrap prices of 40 cents a pound, then melting and casting as ingots. Clean ingots vs. driving and propane and time spent and non-lead WW's in the bucket with lead WW's purchased locally that are basically scrap purchased at full price.

100% agree with prior post suggesting think about it as cost per bullet. $11.50 worth of lead @ $1 a pound makes 500 158 grain .38 special. Those same 500 would run around $60 at Cabela's. If you are out there looking for lead, sooner or later you will find a deal. Until then a steady supply can be had at really good prices from the forum's S&S area. That $63 - $70 worth of COWW lead from one of the site members in a MFRB will arrive at your doorstep, ready to use and make around 2,500 bullets. Need more than that? Buy 2 :-)

dale2242
07-28-2017, 08:48 AM
I called a local dive shop to see if they were interested in buying some dive weights.
He says sure. $1 a pound. I say that`s no more than scrap price, thinking already cast weights would be worth more.
He says , Yep....dale

jarhead0321usmc
07-31-2017, 11:45 PM
In my area it is all over the ball field. I've seen guys advertise scrap leftover flashing for 2 bucks a pound. And ingots for as low as .70 cents a pound. The lowest I've managed to talk anyone down to when buying in quantity was .55 cents locally. The scrap yards around here are hit or miss as well. And wheel weights are dried up. So when I see a deal I generally try to jump on it. One guy recently advertised 200 pounds for 300 within a few weeks he was at 200 than 150. I jumped on it at the 150 but once I got there it scaled in at 175 pounds. So I ended up paying 125 bucks because I think it embarrassed him that his weight was off. I think it was an honest mistake. Always make sure you weigh it yourself.

dondiego
08-01-2017, 01:09 PM
........your area? Why don't you put your area in your handle header?

15meter
08-01-2017, 11:00 PM
SE Michigan, birdshot has been about $40 a bag, a whole lot cheaper than what this guy is asking.

And considerably easier to handle.

RogerDat
08-02-2017, 10:56 AM
I was at a Salvation Army store that recently has begun pricing pewter items at prices that are nuts. They used to have decent prices, I think they hired someone that looks it up on evil bay and thinks asking price = value, as opposed to checking sold for prices.

I finally figured time for some edumacation of store staff. I took a small (coffee cup sized) mug to the cash register. The bottom edge was dented and rolled over, so it wouldn't sit flat. Handle was bent, and bottom had been hit with steel wool or sand paper to read the hallmark. leaving the bottom badly scratched. Price was $2.99 weight was maybe a couple of oz. Much less than 1/4 of a pound.

I pointed out that I had noticed a sudden increase in prices for these "tin" items.

Explained that the prices were well over the going rate, which is why those small weighted candle holders at $15 were still on the shelf after a month. IF this cup was for some reason "collectable" the fact that the edge was badly damaged would make it nearly worthless, and if it was in excellent shape the damage done to the bottom to read the hallmark would reduce the value a great deal. Further the cup lacked any dull gray patina of age so it wasn't old, and since it lacked the black coloration to the little bit of patina it had that would indicate it was post 1970's pewter because after the 70's there was no lead in pewter so it didn't turn black with age. Further that pewter wasn't a "precious" metal it was simply a tin alloy, like solder you buy at the hardware store. While it was possible a genuine antique piece of pewter might come in I have not seen one piece in 7 years I have been coming in to this and other thrift stores.

I was asked if I wanted to buy it for a reduced price, I said it wasn't worth over 50 cents, and the best use of it would be to give it to manager and ask "what were they thinking?" so they might improve the pricing in the future.

Same thing happened at another Salvation Army store. Pewter prices skyrocketed even if the piece was too badly damaged to possibly have antique, collectable, or even just decorative value. So beat up I wouldn't have to even kick it across the parking lot to keep wife from taking it. Looked like it already been done bringing it in. Worker told me a new person was doing all the pricing of that stuff.

JasonYbarbo
08-02-2017, 11:01 AM
Sounds like he will have that for awhile.

K7sparky
08-02-2017, 06:40 PM
Local scrap yard sells what they call clean lead - sheets from old Xray rooms, plumbers ingots, pipes, roof vents, old BI sewer pipe pours, bar & roll solder, etc for $0.60 / #
The yard about 20 miles north sells the same stuff for $2.00 / #. Only stopped in once to ask. He had LOTS HUMMMMMM:groner::holysheep

Local yard WW price I think was $0.50 / # and you can sort and take what you want.

Local tire shops won't sell to usens any longer (uesd to givit away if ud haulit off) - queered by EPA - now take about $0.20 / # from the same guy that sells it to usens for $0.50:veryconfu

K7sparky
08-02-2017, 06:46 PM
Ballast weights for sail boats are like dive weights.
Any old lead anything that will melt.

Scorpion8
08-03-2017, 06:08 PM
I did find some old dive weights, but they were pitted severely. Likewise some commercial fishing boat ballast, but it was also pitted and the guy wouldn't split the piece. I have been able to bring home some scrap lead from the bullet traps at the indoor range that I volunteer at, but it has a LOT of waste jacket material and is of unknown quality. Still ashes to ashes, bullets to bullets right? The hunt goes on....

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-03-2017, 11:33 PM
I'm not sure what a dump truck full of range scrap is going for these days?

K7sparky
08-04-2017, 07:23 AM
Now THAT's a cool Pix

mold maker
08-04-2017, 09:56 AM
Those complaining about scrap price and availability will really have their panties in a wad in another couple years when the commercial metal outfits are the only sources.
Quit complaining and get what is available.
It isn't going to get better, and the past is gone forever.

John Boy
08-04-2017, 11:24 AM
I say that`s no more than scrap price, thinking already cast weights would be worth more.
Already made dive weights - 3 bucks for 1 pounders

RogerDat
08-04-2017, 03:30 PM
Those complaining about scrap price and availability will really have their panties in a wad in another couple years when the commercial metal outfits are the only sources.
Quit complaining and get what is available.
It isn't going to get better, and the past is gone forever.

Now some folks figure too much is still a little short of enough, I'm not going to argue with them but my own approach is get what you can until you have what you need then slow down to replace plus a little over. Keep an eye out for deals or especially good alloys but if you shoot 100# a year and have 2,000 lbs. on hand... 20 years after lead can't be had except at commercial prices your going to be running low. I can deal with that.

Key piece there is mold maker is right, get what you need now, it's not going to spoil and it won't get more plentiful. Just like saving for retirement, it works best to just steadily plug away at it. You can buy 60# on the S&S forum for about $1 a pound. Even if you can only buy one every 3 months that is still 240# by the end of the year. That would be around 8,000 200 grain 45 ACP bullets. Do that for a couple of years and you will be able to tolerate a change in price or availability much better. And while your at it who knows, if your looking for lead you might just find a deal.

Rcmaveric
08-04-2017, 05:48 PM
I Just had the same bad experience here. About 12 months ago I went on base to the tire shop and got enough to last till now. They just gave it to me for cleaning up their shop. I went around today to start rebuilding my stock and every tire store told me it was contracted out now and they wouldn't give it to me. I might have to suck it up and buy it. A dollar per pound still sounds better than 35 dollars for 50 jacketed bullets.

Traffer
08-04-2017, 06:43 PM
About the ballast plates: I live in Wisconsin. There is guy on lake Michigan who has lead from old boats that he will jump at the chance to sell for $1 a lb in big chunks. If I were you I would go down to the docks and ask around. I bet you will find something a LOT LOT better than $2.

Traffer
08-04-2017, 06:45 PM

Now those are some big bullets. Must weigh about 50 to 100lbs per bullet.

JBinMN
08-04-2017, 11:05 PM

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=201078&d=1501817606

LOLOL Thanks!
:drinks:

That is a great one!
:D

murf205
08-05-2017, 09:35 PM
201172I just gave .50 cents per lb for this 86lb bucket of lead. Scrap dealer only gave 25Cents per lb for it, so he doubled his $ and I left happy.

JBinMN
08-05-2017, 09:51 PM
201172I just gave .50 cents per lb for this 86lb bucket of lead. Scrap dealer only gave 25Cents per lb for it, so he doubled his $ and I left happy.
Nice!

That stuff usually costs me about 75-80 cents/lb up to a frogskin/pound around here , and is not so easy to come by for me...
Get it when ya can.
;)

jdfoxinc
08-06-2017, 09:15 AM
Those aren't Tonka.

DerekP Houston
08-06-2017, 09:28 AM
Posted a local want-ad for lead ballast plates, and only got one reply. Except the dude had 190# of lead in a single block. Zoikes! Besides my initial shock, he wanted $2/#. So my question is, does that sound like a fair price, and how easy is it to reduce that block to manageable sizes? Sawzall with metal blade? Pocket knife?

I helped a race car buddy chop of his ballast with a sawzall, use the metal coarse blade and a lot of wd-40 for cutting fluid. As we sliced it up I could see different types of metal, slag, junk, etc all dumped in for 'ballast weight' so I wouldn't consider it a good source for casting bullets with. $2 a lb is nuts, that is literally the same price as PREMIUM certified alloy from rotometals.