PDA

View Full Version : A couple of more Russian slugs

Blood Trail
07-19-2017, 06:12 AM
I'm really digging these molds. Don't take much for them to get hot and the slugs literally fall out of the molds.

The last three I got took a little time to get here. Usually, they take about 2 weeks. This package got lost in the mail. The seller in Russian was great and kept me updated. Even offered to replace everything if they did show by next week.

The new molds I bought where some paradox hollow point looking slug mold, the Russian Lyman clone but in 20 ga, and Russian Lyman 12 ga clone. I ordered that one by accident as I already own one. It comes with two different center pins so you can change the weight of the slug.

From left to right is the 12ga Lyman, 20 ga Lyman, Hollow point:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170719/3fe03b9800eb9fc274209a30e9b10a8f.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170719/61251f85a689c9f9bf8c3e87f1764a1c.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170719/92786109d160b13c01f58a0c26ac0bc5.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170719/055928e34c204e5fad5364a6a813ab9b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rancher1913
07-19-2017, 07:15 AM
Where are you ordering from, what payments do they take

nagantguy
07-19-2017, 07:34 AM
Yes those are very cool, you say you now have an extra 12 gauge mold?

toallmy
07-19-2017, 07:54 AM
Interesting , how do they fly ? I just happen to be looking for a 20 gage slug .:popcorn:

Blood Trail
07-19-2017, 11:53 AM
Where are you ordering from, what payments do they take

I used PayPal. They also accept some European PayPal type deal.

Blood Trail
07-19-2017, 11:54 AM
Yes those are very cool, you say you now have an extra 12 gauge mold?

I do. It's the Lyman clone with extra pins.

Blood Trail
07-19-2017, 11:57 AM
Interesting , how do they fly ? I just happen to be looking for a 20 gage slug .:popcorn:

I haven't tested these yet, however my Russian svarog segmented hollow point slug did well with 7 different powders I used. However, all of them except Longshot, should signs of keyhole groups. With that being said, I had cloverleaf groups at 50 yards with them. I posted range results.

longbow
07-19-2017, 07:56 PM
I like that HP mould! If I had a rifled gun I'd like that in solid and HP versions.

So these moulds are well made? Looks like they cast a decent slug. I'm kinda thinking of the Lyman sabot slug clone. I wanted in on the Mihec group buy but talked myself out of it mostly due to cost and not needing another slug mould but these seem pretty inexpensive so not too hard to justify.

I'm guessing you'll be testing the Lyman clone in a rifled gun? Any chance of some smoothbore groups with a fairly hot load?

I ask because turbo1889 said the Lyman slugs tended to get unstable at transonic velocities due to the large meplat. That's the other reason I passed on that group buy. Many are reporting good accuracy out to 100 yards though.

I'll be curious how yours do whether in rifled gun or smoothbore.

Longbow

sawinredneck
07-19-2017, 09:54 PM
Subscribing in hopes to find out where you get these.

megasupermagnum
07-19-2017, 09:58 PM
Does that big hollow point paradox slug have a hole through it to accept a screw like the svarog slug? I would absolutely love to make some "Brenneke" style slugs. I don't need them to be hard like real Brenneke slugs, but I'm not loving the idea of a frangible slug like that svarog.

Blood Trail
07-19-2017, 10:12 PM
The slug don't have a hole in the base, But anything is possible.

Longbow, I'll run these through rifled and smoothbores. Hope to post results this weekend.

longbow
07-20-2017, 07:34 PM
Great! I'll be looking forward to results.

I will get a chance to try some shortly. New member Ginsing lives near me and he just bought the same Lyman clone mould so will be casting some up shortly.

Nonetheless, I'll still be very interested in your field results. You do a good test and write up!

faustus
07-21-2017, 07:32 PM
So where can one order those molds?
Is there are web site?

cuzinbruce
07-22-2017, 05:43 AM
I don't know where the OP got them but they are listed on the infamous auction site. Just do a search for Svarog Mold and there should be a bunch listed. I didn't see a website in a quick Google, there may or may not be one. Might be in Russian anyway.

longbow
07-22-2017, 12:11 PM
That certainly looks like a Svarog mould.

Here is the website:

http://svaroghunt.ru/

Its in Russian but Google will translate it to English.

A local guy has just ordered a couple of these moulds, one round ball and one Lyman sabot slug clone. I'll get to see them shortly I hope and test a few slugs.

So far the reports on Cast Boolits are that the moulds seem to be good quality and cast well.

Longbow

Blood Trail
07-22-2017, 11:31 PM
My svarog mold came from EBay. The others came from this site.
http://bulletmold.ru/ассортимент/prices-leyki/

6pt-sika
07-23-2017, 12:37 AM
My svarog mold came from EBay. The others came from this site.
http://bulletmold.ru/ассортимент/prices-leyki/

That second place is on Ebay also .

If you contact them direct will they work with you on shipping costs ? If you buy straight thru Ebay the sock it to you on shipping .

6pt-sika
07-23-2017, 12:43 AM
I like the fact that this new place is selling molds for the Lyman sabot slug for 12 , 16 , 20 and 28 gauge . Don't really have an intrest in the 28 gauge slug but I do in the other three . As well as that 12 gauge HP above that looks like what the Brits were using in the 12 bore and 12 Paradox guns back in the late 1800's early 1900's .

longbow
07-23-2017, 09:49 AM
Not quite the same as the Paradox bullets but similar. The Kynoch version ran 750 grs. solid and was available let in hollow point too with somewhat longer nose and 735 grs. IIRC.

If I had a rifled gun I'd certainly order one of those Russian slugs.

What's the weight on those Bloodtrail?

Blood Trail
07-28-2017, 08:03 AM
Not quite the same as the Paradox bullets but similar. The Kynoch version ran 750 grs. solid and was available let in hollow point too with somewhat longer nose and 735 grs. IIRC.

If I had a rifled gun I'd certainly order one of those Russian slugs.

What's the weight on those Bloodtrail?

LB, they're coming in around 548 grs.

longbow
07-29-2017, 10:04 AM
Quite a bit lighter than the old style Paradox slugs, but easier to find load data for too and it looks like a nice slug. Can that one be cast as solid too? I guess just a flat nose pin could be made if not available from the manufacturer.

6pt-sika
07-29-2017, 06:54 PM
I'd still like a mold for this slug , only problem is if I were to get one I'd not be satisfied until I had a 12 bore double that was paradox or fully rifled . And that just plain sounds expensive , I suspect a decent shape one from a decent British maker that was pre war will most likely set you back 6-12 G's ��

longbow
07-29-2017, 08:39 PM
Much as I would like a Paradox gun I will never own one.

If I can ever find a slug that will give respectable 100 yard accuracy from smoothbore... that is consistent dependable 100 yard accuracy of 6" or less, the next thing is to try to get that to shoot out of a side by.

The way things are going I may have to settle for round balls to 50 yards from smoothbore.

Mind you, if I ever finish my deep groove, slow twist rifled choke tube and it works then it may be possible to get a side by with screw in choke tubes, buy blank/unfinished choke tubes and rifle them.

Then I coul dget a Paradox slug mould too!

I've thought about buying a Paradox mould from CBE then drilling slugs for attached wads. I haven't seen it tried but it should be similar to Brenneke or the Russian slugs BT tested with attached wads.

This little mini Paradox slug would be like an express bullet in a Paradox gun at about 200 grs. lighter.

Longbow

TonyfromItaly
07-30-2017, 09:18 AM
Hello Longbow, i saw that second russian site has gualandi style mold with available wads to go into it. If it behaved like the real gualandi, you could easily get the accuracy you desire at 100 yards. Unfortunately they do not ship to Italy! They have a site that sells both wads and molds and is www.reload.su Maybe the ship to Canada!

longbow
07-30-2017, 01:05 PM
Thanks Tony. I'll take a look at that.

I do have this quirk though (one of many I'm told) that I don't like to have to be dependent on something I may not be able to get at some point. Once a guy has a mould he can cast as long as there's lead and fire but if everything depends on a supplier of a component that may stop production or whatever then a substitute has to be found.

Nonetheless, I'll look and if it seems like a good slug then I just may give it a go and order several thousand wads.

I am also beginning to think that part of my problem with longer range accuracy is due to an oversight. I have maintained that rifled slugs don't spin and certainly bore friction on the rifling does not impart a spin but Taofledermaus shows a youtube video that demonstrates that rifled slugs do in fact pick up a slow spin from air drag. Not enough to produce gyroscopic stability but enough to average out deviations in flight due to inconsistencies.

My slugs don't spin as there is no helical ribbing. My Brenneke clones use straight ribs so no spin.

I am getting back in gear to complete my deep groove slow twist rifled choke tube to suit round balls and "square" bore diameter slugs (as long as they are in diameter). In fact my Nessler Ball mould would be perfect for that. I got going on the rifled choke tube then got derailed and didn't get back to it. I need a steady rest for my lathe and not only are they expensive if you can find one but they are difficult to find. I can make one easy enough but have to get off my butt and go.

I started that idea with the Paradox gun in mind... last 3" of muzzle deeply rifled which allows smoothbore use as well as "rifle" use.

Anyway, I digress again. I will be testing some slugs possibly next weekend. I have a lot made but am beginning to think results will be similar to past results as I think I have reached the limit of my basement technology.

The Gualandi clone could be a step up if the mould and wads are available so I will check on that. It would certainly be easier to make my poor man's double rifle using smoothbore side by than trying to fit two custom rifled choke tubes into a side by.

Sorry, long post.

Thanks,
Longbow

longbow
07-30-2017, 01:23 PM
Okay, just took a look.

I don't see anywhere where they talk about where they will ship but a local guy I know just ordered a Lyman Sabot slug clone from them so I guess they ship to Canada... except his mould is taking a long time to arrive.

I like the Tusker Paradox with tail. I like the original Tusker design better and had some to test that Greg Sappington sent me. They flew nose forward at least to 75 yards but accuracy was not great from my smoothbore but in fairness, they were designed for rifled gun and were sized about 0.003" small for my bore. I thought about adding wads and Brenneke'izing them.

In any case, those look like a nice slug and I think thicker skirt than the Gualandi clones. I tried some Gualandi DGS slugs and while they shot fairly well, the skirts dis distort considerably. I like thick tough skirts. Now, not sure what the Russian Tusker Paradox slug has for skirt thickness.

If I had a rifled gun, I like the original Dixie Tusker. A beautiful slug in my opinion.

I will follow up on the Russian slugs though.

Thanks again.

Longbow

jr86
12-15-2017, 09:09 PM
I just picked up a Lyman 20ga sabot slug mold. Did you have any luck with the accuracy out of a rifled barrel? I have a Savage 220 I was hoping to get something decent for whitetail at 100 with it.

Blood Trail
12-20-2017, 09:56 PM
I just picked up a Lyman 20ga sabot slug mold. Did you have any luck with the accuracy out of a rifled barrel? I have a Savage 220 I was hoping to get something decent for whitetail at 100 with it.

My first Range outing where pretty good. 3” at 50. I need to tinker with it more.

wonderwolf
12-29-2017, 11:08 PM
I'm looking on ebay but not seeing the HP version the OP posted....I just discovered these molds about a week ago and trying to figure out if I need to try any of them. Currently using a LEE 1oz drive key but have the lyman sabots as well.

white eagle
12-31-2017, 12:36 PM
the hollow point looks just like the one Tom and I designed
minus the hp of course

RMc
12-31-2017, 01:34 PM
...I am also beginning to think that part of my problem with longer range accuracy is due to an oversight. I have maintained that rifled slugs don't spin and certainly bore friction on the rifling does not impart a spin but Taofledermaus shows a youtube video that demonstrates that rifled slugs do in fact pick up a slow spin from air drag. Not enough to produce gyroscopic stability but enough to average out deviations in flight due to inconsistencies.

Longbow,

You are indeed on track with the underlined above. Yet the evidence seems to point to barrel friction as the culprit.

That Foster type rifled slugs do indeed spin due to barrel friction on the helical ribs was the conclusion of a Winchester study conducted in the middle 1960s. The most interesting thing was the variation in spin rate found between cylinder barrels and choke bore barrels. More details can be found in this discussion, including references:

http://wethearmed.com/shotguns/do-ri...thbore-part-2/

wonderwolf
12-31-2017, 09:31 PM
If you could only have one of these slug designs which one would it be?

W.R.Buchanan
11-28-2018, 02:22 PM
The design of that slug is nearly identical to the 8 bore slugs for the Evans Paradox I talked about seeing in 1962 G&A Mag. The nose was slightly radiused instead of being a strait angle. 1250 gr in 8 Bore.

Randy

Petander
12-12-2018, 08:15 AM
My Lyman 12 gauge "pellet mold" casts and drops beautifully,even harder alloys.

But I just ordered the Svarog 20 gauge pellet version... we'll see.

Markopolo
04-15-2019, 06:22 PM
Wow... significant price difference... you say they are virtually the same mold???

longbow
04-15-2019, 07:53 PM
Yeah, if you are going to buy one of those the prices do seem to vary quite a lot!

NyFirefighter357
04-15-2019, 09:32 PM
I see a whole line of other slugs too.

Markopolo
04-16-2019, 12:49 AM
I would suggest that we wait a bit before we all send money for molds... make sure it is Legit.. they do not do business as we do... I will buy one of there molds... and review... takes a month to get here... I am talking to the company as I write this... I will purchase their Hydrant mold.. this one..

Caution.

Petander
04-16-2019, 02:03 PM
Interesting.

Looks like half the price compared to Svarog on Ebay. Hmm...

brass410
04-16-2019, 02:48 PM
if you would like a US source try The Reloaders Network store they have moulds and wads for these exotic slugs

Blood Trail
05-02-2019, 08:20 PM
I got quite a few Russian molds from both companies. Been messing with them for a while now. Honestly, I can’t tell the difference between the two.

Me and Uncle D went in together and bout 6k of the tail wads long before they publicly sold them.

If I remember correctly, one of the manufacturers will not sell the wads due to export control issues.