PDA

View Full Version : Cast Boolits and Aluminum Cases

sw282
07-19-2017, 01:11 AM
A couple weeks ago l was given a quantity of PRIMED aluminum CCI cases in 44Magnum, 38Spcl, and 357Magnum calibers. l posted a thread asking if anyone else had any experience loading these... Most responded by saying they had tried reloading them with varying success. 0ne reply stated he had loaded some after pulling the boolits from factory ammo. When first posting l had no idea the source of these factory primed CCI aluminum cases.. The source has been identified now.

https://rmrbullets.com/?v=7516fd43adaa

To date l have loaded these cases in the above 44Mag, 38Spcl, and 357Mag calibers.. All 3 were loaded with home cast boolits and Win 231 Powder.. 44Mag load was 7.5 gr 231/255gr Keith boolit. 38Spcl load was3gr 231/148gr wadcutter. 357 used 5gr 231/148gr wadcutter. Molds used were H&G #503 for 250gr Keith and H&G #50 for wadcutter.. l must say the experience has been a pleasant and enlightening one.. l have had no major problems or difficulties in loading or firing.. Accuracy has been VERY good too.. l had some minor splitting of case mouth with the 38Spcls.. After crimping/seating these minor splits posed no difficulty. No case splitting in the 44M or 357M cases were observed... l did have a little issue chambering some of the loaded 357 rounds tho... This was eliminated by cleaning the cylinder holes thoroughly left from the 50 38Spcl rds l had fired first... A S&W 686 revolver was used to shoot the 38s and 357s.. S&W 629 in 44 Magnum... lt was kinda fun loading/shooting ammo without the added work of tumbling/sizing/priming cases.. To my SURPRISE l found these aluminum cases to be much more consistant in length and weight compared to their BRASS brothers.

6bg6ga
07-19-2017, 06:05 AM
If your lucky enough to load them you will get one reload thru them. I would suggest getting some real cases for reloading.

Big Boomer
07-19-2017, 10:42 AM
Years ago when aluminum alloy cartridge cases first appeared on the market, I picked up a few from the gun range that were not berdan primed. If I recall correctly, the very first ones were berdan primed only. Just to see what would happen, I deprimed as usual then sized, belled, primed and reloaded the cases, crimping as usual. A couple had split case mouths upon firing. I proceeded to reload them again and had several more split case mouths. After that I have never fooled with aluminum alloy cases again. Do not think these cases were made but for one thing ... once firing. Think 6bg6ga is right. Big Boomer

sw282
07-20-2017, 01:37 AM
Bingo Boomer, you hit the primer on the head..''0ne firing 0nly''.. They were FREE.. l have no intentions of reloading them.. Lady that gave then to me makes JEWELRY from the case heads... Earrings, cuff links, bracelets...The aluminum shines up like SILVER... Wont tarnish either... Nickel comes off brass cases heads when shined.. Want a pair of silver like 44 magnum cuff links?? She can make them..

RED333
07-20-2017, 06:25 AM
Sounds like good range none pick up ammo, or back yard lost in the tall grass shooting!!!

sw282
07-26-2017, 03:35 PM
Just an update on these NEW primed factory aluminum cases l have been loaded... l shot them in a silhouette this past Saturday... Was NOT a happy shooter at the end of the day.. l had 2 F T F rounds from them. Cost me a turkey and a ram too:-( First failure was when a primer backed out of a case after firing to lock the cylinder up... Second was a BAD primer.. They were MAGNUM loads, but NOT max loads... They were a proven loads l had used before loaded in brass cases. l l tend to be a bit conservative with my loading.. Usually manuals will list a minimum, midrange, and max load.. As is habit l will choose minimum or midrange. Some of the aluminum cases were a bit sticky extracting also.. Along Saturday were some brass cased rounds.. No issues with them in any way.. No more aluminum cases now, l shot them all Saturday...More frustrating l shot 20 of them @ practice during an indoor session Friday... Been shooting IHMSA since the late 70s. Never a failure to fire/function. And Mister Murphy brings me TWO on Saturday

Tom W.
07-26-2017, 04:08 PM
I've never been inclined to handload aluminum. I have found some really cheap 9mm aluminum cased Federal loads at Walmart that shot just fine. They were almost cheap enough to stop handloading for my 9mm.

Believe that last part if you want to.......

William Yanda
07-26-2017, 04:09 PM
You said it earlier: "They were FREE.. "