PDA

View Full Version : 820 lb hog with .38 spl

sghart3578
07-19-2017, 12:46 AM
I didn't know which forum would be appropriate so I posted this here.

Imagine going out to your front yard and finding this:

http://www.al.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2017/07/man_shoots_820_pound_wild_hog.html

sawinredneck
07-19-2017, 12:48 AM
Subscribing to hear how many say it wasn't possible.

Sweetpea
07-19-2017, 12:50 AM
I'd rather have something with a bit more thump, but a 38 sure beats a stick, and seems to have done the job!

Remiel
07-19-2017, 01:33 AM
I know a guy who works at a nearby family gun store that does hog hunts and was told he could not kill a hog with a 357 sig, well he did it, it took 5 shots though, too many for my taste.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

byrd45900
07-19-2017, 02:16 AM
Light him up!!!

Spoonerism
07-19-2017, 02:45 AM
That's a whole lot of pig. 38 special wouldn't be my first choice to take a hog, but its nice to know it can do the job.

Lloyd Smale
07-19-2017, 10:08 AM
Alaskan eskimos killed polar bears with 22lrs too. Sure doesn't make it the right tool for the job.

Char-Gar
07-19-2017, 12:47 PM
I wonder how many rounds he had to put into that porker? Of course it would only take one in the right spot. Kudos to this guy for protecting his pup and his steady hand.

I knew a guy who took on a big hog with a long surplus Mosin with bayonet fixed. He got the blade in the hog and he had a real fight on on his hand. He didn't have a round in the chamber and couldn't let go of the rifle to work the bolt. He won, but allowed that it was a stupid thing to do.

Hogtamer
07-19-2017, 01:27 PM
Yep, that's a big hog. But he just didn't wander out of the swamp into this guy's yard. First, looks like he just stepped out of the shower, so nice and clean. Second, look close and you won't see any whetters, the top canine teeth that grow at an angle to the bottom canines, the cutters. Third, he's been eating like a king. And finally a boar that big would have nuts the size of your head which you could see even from a side view. But yea, that's a big hog. Most likely that boy was castrated and had his whetters cut when he was a a youngun by a guy running a "trophy" hunt operation. No sex drive so just eat. No cuts from fighting. Cutters grow long because no whetters to sharpen them and keep 'em modest size, as those tushes are why folks pay big money to shoot 'em. His hair oughtta be longer, matted with mud, teeth popping when that little dog barked at him and run like hell when that fellow popped him with that .38. You could smell him through the picture from the piss and excretions that wind up on his belly to let the gals and rivals know he's in the neighborhood to breed or butt heads. Prolly would eat pretty good, like a big old polled steer. But yep, that's a big hog...

DerekP Houston
07-19-2017, 02:44 PM
I wonder how many rounds he had to put into that porker? Of course it would only take one in the right spot. Kudos to this guy for protecting his pup and his steady hand.

I knew a guy who took on a big hog with a long surplus Mosin with bayonet fixed. He got the blade in the hog and he had a real fight on on his hand. He didn't have a round in the chamber and couldn't let go of the rifle to work the bolt. He won, but allowed that it was a stupid thing to do.

3 rounds from the article. If it was my small dog with a pig that large at bay, I'd grab whatever was close as well. Not the best tool for the job but proves it is still a valuable cartridge in my eyes!

HATCH
07-19-2017, 02:48 PM
My old coworker kills hogs with a 17HMR pistol.
He head shots them at the base of his tree stand.

Well, I should say so he says.. LOL

country gent
07-19-2017, 03:23 PM
It would be interesting to see the fat layer when this animal is skinned out. Wild animals have little fat and more muscle than domestic raised animals. ( one of the reasons Hogs are immune to snake bites poison dosnt get thru the fat layer into muscle and blood stream). At 820 lbs its an impressive animal either way. His presence should have been suspected in the area from crop and land damage as this size animal eats a lot and forages roots a lot for it. The farmers corn and beans would really suffer from this animal in the wild.

jmort
07-19-2017, 03:32 PM
I know of one fellow, most of you all know him as well. Has killed two hogs, single shots through the body, with a .380 ACP. Not monsters , but man size. 100 grain RFP. The magic meplat works.

Finster101
07-19-2017, 03:38 PM
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=447_1500467121

He seems quite proud of it too.

Rufus Krile
07-19-2017, 03:54 PM
I know of one fellow, most of you all know him as well. Has killed two hogs, single shots through the body, with a .380 ACP. Not monsters , but man size. 100 grain RFP. The magic meplat works. I killed a much smaller hog... about 130# +/- with a .380 too. After 6 shots through the body and one behind the ear (finally) of Hornady's Critical Defense load. The hog was dead, just unaware of its own condition. Something to do with my daughter's pit bull practicing exsanguination. You use what you have at hand...

bedbugbilly
07-19-2017, 05:36 PM
That's one big "hunk o' ham"!

Thumbcocker
07-19-2017, 06:20 PM
When I hunted on a family run ranch in Florida some years ago the owners son told me that they would trap small pigs, castrate them and turn them loose. Whenever they wanted pork for a barbecue they would shoot one of the bar hogs.

bob208
07-19-2017, 06:36 PM
I would not think twice. with my 358429 loads in a 6" security-six.

Blackwater
07-19-2017, 06:45 PM
That was neat for it to walk right into his yard and offer himself up, but .... I bet he had to use some heavy machinery to move that thing! I have enough trouble loading up a 160 lb. buck in the back of my truck!

jonp
07-19-2017, 07:20 PM
Pretty sure that pig is not 800lbs+

swheeler
07-19-2017, 08:59 PM
Must have been cast bullets in that 38;_) He does look pretty clean but I can see his oysters sucked in from hanging nose first, 800 lbs doesn't seem too far off looking at his front hooves. I grew up on a hog farm and have put a 600 pounder to sleep forever with a single blow from a 24 oz framing hammer, DRT, so yes I'm sure a 38 will kill one if you know where to put the bullet.

"The next day, the sharpshooter took the hog to a nearby peanut company to use its scales to weigh the wild beast"

Lloyd Smale
07-20-2017, 05:42 AM
yup looks a little fishy to me too. Its either like you said a pig someone fattened or a domestic pig that got loose and went wild. If its truly wild and that big your probably going to have to throw most of the meat away. We shot a 400 lb bore once and the meat smelled like pee and there wasn't any way to cook it that it didn't stink.
Yep, that's a big hog. But he just didn't wander out of the swamp into this guy's yard. First, looks like he just stepped out of the shower, so nice and clean. Second, look close and you won't see any whetters, the top canine teeth that grow at an angle to the bottom canines, the cutters. Third, he's been eating like a king. And finally a boar that big would have nuts the size of your head which you could see even from a side view. But yea, that's a big hog. Most likely that boy was castrated and had his whetters cut when he was a a youngun by a guy running a "trophy" hunt operation. No sex drive so just eat. No cuts from fighting. Cutters grow long because no whetters to sharpen them and keep 'em modest size, as those tushes are why folks pay big money to shoot 'em. His hair oughtta be longer, matted with mud, teeth popping when that little dog barked at him and run like hell when that fellow popped him with that .38. You could smell him through the picture from the piss and excretions that wind up on his belly to let the gals and rivals know he's in the neighborhood to breed or butt heads. Prolly would eat pretty good, like a big old polled steer. But yep, that's a big hog...

Pawpaw757
07-20-2017, 09:42 AM
The story is on Fox's website.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/20/alabama-hunter-shoots-down-820-pound-wild-hog-in-front-yard.html

KenH
07-20-2017, 10:08 AM
The article says what he did with the meat:
Seago told the Associated Press on Wednesday that he plans to display the hog's stuffed head and shoulders at his taxidermy shop. He said the rest of the remains were discarded on a friend's property.

"It's so humid down here, it had to hang all night. I wouldn't trust the meat," he said.

Tracy
07-20-2017, 10:38 AM
I've dispatched a domestic hog with a 358430 from a Taurus M85 .38 snubby. Frontal head shot, out the neck and disappeared into the ground. The hog wasn't anywhere near as big as this one, though.

mold maker
07-23-2017, 10:28 AM
Ya can't choose a different cal if a .38 spec is what ya have. As with all of them shot placement is king. A miss with a 458 is still just a bigger bang with no effect.

Tom W.
07-23-2017, 03:42 PM
A neighbor did say that one of their big boar hogs got away after rooting under a fence. She isn't mad that the guy shot the hog, saying that he had every right to do so.