PDA

View Full Version : Expanded Ohio deer hunting regs.

buckshotshoey
07-18-2017, 08:32 PM
Last year, there was specific straight walled rifle cartridges allowable for use. New for this year.....

Straight-walled cartridge rifles in the following calibers: New this year! All straight-walled cartridge calibers from a minimum of .357 to a maximum of .50. Shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined

That should open up some of those unused guns in your safe. I'm glad to see it.

buckshotshoey
07-19-2017, 07:03 AM
I just seen an earlier post of this already up. Sorry for the double post.

Rick Hodges
07-19-2017, 07:18 AM
Does this mean magazines have to be plugged like for waterfowl or just loaded with no more than 2 in mag?

Hickory
07-19-2017, 07:30 AM
Does this mean magazines have to be plugged like for waterfowl or just loaded with no more than 2 in mag?

Yep!!!

buckshotshoey
07-19-2017, 07:35 AM
I couldn't believe what Henry Rifles told me when I was asking about a lower capacity tube. They said Ohio was now using the honor system. What? Ohio has NEVER done anything using the honor system. I called the DNR In Columbus.

In fact, the magazine plug has been eliminated. But you are still only allowed 3 shots, chamber and magazine combined. They took into consideration that not all guns are readily modified. They are relying on hunter edicut. But the lady at the DNR also admitted they wrote many tickets for too many rounds loaded in gun. Generating revenue?

Hickory
07-19-2017, 07:44 AM
Looks like they changed that when I wasn't looking.

buckshotshoey
07-19-2017, 07:46 AM
To add.... I called Henry and basically apologised. I in essence told them they were out of their minds when they told me no plugs were necessary.

Also..... plugs are still required for waterfowl. They are federally managed, and deer are not.

And last year .38 special was on the list. As I read it, it looks like that has been dropped?

buckshotshoey
07-19-2017, 07:54 AM
Looks like they changed that when I wasn't looking.
I think it was changed for the 2014 or 2015 season? It's been a couple of years. Possibly since they have allowed straight wall rifle cartridges.

mnewcomb59
07-20-2017, 06:19 PM
38 special is still legal. It says "caliber .357" no magnum anywhere. I am tempted to take my Camp 9 and a pair of calipers in my pocket since it shoots best at .3575

gwpercle
07-20-2017, 06:35 PM
38 special is still legal. It says "caliber .357" no magnum anywhere. I am tempted to take my Camp 9 and a pair of calipers in my pocket since it shoots best at .3575

I wouldn't press my luck....technically the 9 mm has a tapered case and is thus technically not "straight walled "...they might try and get you on a technicality to make some more money. Some of them game wardens can get down right mean when you start jerking them around.
Gary

murf205
07-21-2017, 06:27 AM
I guess that means that you must also load 3 rounds in a revolver. Oh well, if you cant get it done in 3 shots you better get closer!

buckshotshoey
07-21-2017, 07:54 AM
I guess that means that you must also load 3 rounds in a revolver. Oh well, if you cant get it done in 3 shots you better get closer!

As far as I know, pistols are not limited to 3 shots. Only shotgun and rifle. The way it is stated is...

"Shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined".

There are no specifics on handgun.