PDA

View Full Version : "NEW" Model 66, anyone have one?

rintinglen
07-18-2017, 11:31 AM
I am under whelmed with the M-69 and was wondering if anyone has one of the New M-66's. I am specifically interested in the short barreled version. If you have one, does it shoot cast without leading? How does the action feel?

buckwheatpaul
07-18-2017, 03:30 PM
Dont know about the new guns but my 2-1/2 Model 66 shoot great and there shouldbe no leading issues if you have a boolit .001 to .002 above your bore size and your hardness metallurgy is right.

buckwheatpaul
07-18-2017, 03:32 PM
Dont know about the new guns but my 2-1/2 Model 66 (1978) shoots lead boolits great! There should be no leading issues if you have a boolit .001 to .002 above your bore size and your hardness metallurgy is right.

Gus Youmans
07-18-2017, 06:39 PM
I have one of the new Model 66s with a four inch barrel. After about 150 rounds of cast bullets there is minimal leading and but it comes out easily with a brass brush and some brass wool. The action was a little rough when new but a set of Wolf springs and about 2500 rounds it is pretty smooth.

In my opinion, the worst thing about the newer Smiths is the grips. I tried several versions of Pachmayr and Hogue but finally settled on the Pachmayr Gripper Professional grips. It appears the Pachmayr only makes them for the older square butt revolvers and there is a small open space at the bottom of the grip but it does not affect the function. Almost all my shooting is double action and these worked best for me for that purpose.

Gus Youmans

rintinglen
07-19-2017, 07:10 PM
I have my old duty 4" but I always wanted to have a snubbie, just never managed to get the money together at the same time as one was for sale.

Petrol & Powder
07-21-2017, 07:05 AM
I can't help you with a review of the new model 66 but I have handled them. They have the new sleeved barrel which seems to freak some people out but I think it will be fine. The barrel is kind of Dan Wesson like; a barrel held in tension by the shroud. Some of the parts are MIM but again I don't think that's a deal breaker. S&W is trying to hit a price point and that's not easy.
The barrel setup actually has some positive features; the shroud that also holds the front sight will always be "clocked" correctly, the barrel liner is held in tension and the B/C gap is easier to set during production (read that as less expensive manufacturing).

rintinglen
07-21-2017, 09:35 AM
I've no problem with the Dan Wesson Barrel attachment, but I am concerned that it may have the corn cob rough rifling and bore that my M-69 has.

The last few years have really soured me on "new" guns. Half the Rugers I bought between 2012 and 2016 Had to be sent back--3 out of 6 guns. The afore mentioned 69 is a bust so far, and the Shield 9mm that I bought is only decent for the money--given that it was cheap--my expectations can't be too high. Neither S&W nor Ruger seem to have truly benefited from prosperity.

Petrol & Powder
07-21-2017, 12:41 PM
I'm a used gun guy most of the time.

And the manufacturers were cranking them out as fast as they could during the Obama years and the election. Maybe the quality control will improve now that things have slowed down.