PDA

View Full Version : Need a piece of walnut

Frank46
07-29-2008, 04:07 AM
I have a bsa 12/15 martini buttstock that was cutdown sometime during its life. In order to maintain the comb line and the underside of the stock I need a piece about
1.5" thick 2" wide and 6" long to cover all bases. What walnut I have is either cut wrong (was origionally planks) and the other while cut so the grain faces the right way is too short to be used as a dutchman or add on. I'm not looking for anything fancy. Just plain walnut without any sap wood showing. If anyone has something similar to what I'm looking for I'd be glad to pay for it. Thanks,Frank

Buckshot
07-30-2008, 02:01 AM
.............Frank, have you tried a Trophy shop?

..........Buckshot

Scrounger
07-30-2008, 07:05 AM
Here is a link: http://www.gunstockblanks.com/
That takes you to Cecil Fredi who lives in Las Vegas and sells gun wood. About ten years ago I was at Mr. Fredi's house with a friend of mine who bought wood from him. He has several buildings full of all kinds of wood and a house full of beautifully stocked rifles. He is a great person to do business with and we spent several hours looking at fantastic wood and talking. His phone number is on his web page and I think he'll be able to find just what you need at a very affordable price.

KYCaster
07-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Frank, I think I may have what you're looking for. It might take me a couple of days to find it (:roll:) but when I do I'll post a pic for you.

Jerry

Frank46
07-31-2008, 12:38 AM
Gents, thanks for the tips. Forgot I had posted about this darned CRS again. The stock is really too nice to just pass on. And since I have more time than anything else
on my hands thought I'd rescue it for a project I have in the works on a model 12 martini. These little rifles are addictive.
Kycaster if and when you find the wood would greatly appreciate pics. Again thanks to all who responded. Frank

Antietamgw
08-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Frank, can you post a good pic of what you need to match? I'll bet somebody has something close. I've got a bunch of odds and ends, just never what I need...

Frank46
08-02-2008, 01:53 AM
Antietamgw, One of these days I'll have to get with this new era of digital cameras and learn how to use them. So cannot post pics. I guess the easiest way to explain what I'm looking for is plain walnut no fancy grain or nothing and no sapwood. Since I plan on removing what existing finish (next to nothing) and will be staining with red mahogany stain from minwax thats just about all I need. As long as its at the dimensions I stated in my previous post. Thanks for the help. Frank

Frank46
08-05-2008, 01:22 AM
Kycaster, think along the lines of the walnit that used to be on the pre64' wichester 1894 as far as grain is concerned. That's about the closest words I can come up with to describe what I'm looking for in the way of wood for the martini buttstock. Was at home depot today, shoulda stayed home. Spent the better part of two hours searching for where they keep the black 7decker workmates. Found exactly zero. did'nt even have the 2'x2' pieces of plywood that I needed to make a top for the workmate and mount a vise. My old hands crimp up bad when trying to polish up acocking lever for the 12/15 bsa martini while holding it in my hands. Figured with the workmate I could attack a thick plywood top and set up the elcheapo wilton vise and claml parts in the vise to do the polishing. Way easier on the hands. next stop lowe's. Frank

Frank46
08-05-2008, 01:26 AM
Kycaster, think about the walnut that was on the pre 64 winchester 94 rifles. The grain when there was any would run from the upper part of the stock right upo to the buttplate. Thats about the best way I can convey how or what the walnut you mentioned should look. Frank

KYCaster
08-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Frank, thanks for reminding me. I need a little poke in the ribs now and then to keep me focused.

See if this will suit your needs.

I have a piece about 1 7/8 X 2 3/8 X 9 3/4. If you can use it I'll get it in the mail tomorrow.

Jerry

Hip's Ax
08-05-2008, 06:41 PM
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=829

Frank46
08-05-2008, 11:48 PM
Jerry, looks like it should work just fine. Just checked the width on the stock and 2" wide is big enough by about 1/4" which gives me plenty to work with. Will send address via pm. Thanks ever so much. Frank

Frank46
09-09-2008, 12:33 AM
I'd like to offer a profound apology to Jerry aka KYCaster here in this forum. He graciously sent me a nice piece of walnut. I had promised him a check to cover postage. What with preparations for Gustav, messing up my right leg trying to get my generator into the truck for repairs and the cleanup, the check was never sent.
This will be taken care of as soon as the leg heals up some more. I've received some stuff from some of you and always tried to do the right thing. Sometimes things conspire against you trying to do the same thing. I've also sent a pm to Jerry about this. Rest assured this will be taken care of. Frank