PDA

View Full Version : How many of you out there own automated or semi-automated casting machines?

MOA
07-17-2017, 08:31 PM
How many of you own these machines, and what brand and model do you own?

ReloaderFred
07-17-2017, 08:53 PM
I have a Magma Bullet Master Mark 6 machine, and well over 100 molds for it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

bstone5
07-17-2017, 09:02 PM
Have a Master Caster that is automated with a PLC. All the info for automation came from this web site.
Cast for me, my family and a few friends that help in casting and powder coating the cast bullets.
Not a business just a hobby. We shoot a lot at the local gun club.
Started with hand molds with my father when I was very young. My father shot revolvers a lot many years back in time. Never thought about a casting machine until I was in my 60s time frame. Got the machine operated manually for a few years before automating the machine.
Lots of fun in my old age.

runfiverun
07-17-2017, 09:15 PM
I guess semi-auto mated would be master casters.
If so I have 2, well 1.5 I converted one for casting by hand and left the other one set up for the wife and kids to use.

Plate plinker
07-17-2017, 09:38 PM
have one.

AbitNutz
07-18-2017, 02:28 AM
I have a Master Caster...and I'm semi autonomous.

hunter74
07-18-2017, 02:41 AM
Own a Magma Bullet Master Mark 5. It's 30 years old but new to me two years ago. Runs like a clock (nock on wood).

I also have a NVM Mark-X manually operated caster. I'm considering this for sale because my casting business demands bigger output.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

shootinfox2
07-18-2017, 10:54 AM
Automated Master Caster and Star sizer with collator.

HATCH
07-18-2017, 11:03 AM
I have a Automated Master Caster.
To my knowledge there are about 12 others all over the world that use panels I built.

Tazza
07-18-2017, 04:35 PM
I have an automated master caster.

No_1
07-18-2017, 04:47 PM
I have a hydraulic powered Master Caster. :drinks:

2ridgebacks
07-18-2017, 06:48 PM
I have a Ballisti Cast Mark X. Currently in storage.

kodiak1
07-18-2017, 06:57 PM
Ballisti cast here too.

Ausglock
07-18-2017, 09:05 PM
2 Ballisti Mark X machines with a Ballisti Mark 2 on the way.

uncle dino
07-20-2017, 10:27 PM
Air automated ballisticast mk x, and Master caster with a hatch control board. D

byrd45900
07-21-2017, 01:22 AM
1 mastercaster.

AlaskaScott
07-22-2017, 01:34 PM
My master caster has auto lead pour right now, I am waiting for work to slow down so I can finish the full automation

Ken 45LC
07-22-2017, 02:33 PM
I have a master caster, and saving up to automate it.

Does anyone know who did the fatty pants version on youtube?

MOA
07-22-2017, 06:10 PM
My master caster has auto lead pour right now, I am waiting for work to slow down so I can finish the full automation

Sweet, can't wait to start on mine too.

ascast
07-23-2017, 09:14 PM
yes I have one

wlkjr
07-23-2017, 09:35 PM
I have a Master Caster that I modified to pneumatic operation by joystick.

bjordan
07-24-2017, 06:25 PM
I have a stock Master Caster and a MKII Bullet Master that has been upgraded with 1000 watt heating elements and PIDs. It still runs well. Made a pile of bullets with it yesterday in fact. And I just got an almost unused Lube Master. That thing is awesome - once you get it tuned. ;)

jmorris
08-03-2017, 07:31 AM
I have made mine after looking at photos of a master caster but I ran it with a gear motor and solenoid for pour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2U1ujg_nzo

dverna
08-03-2017, 08:08 AM
I have a Master Caster. Not automated.

Jmorris, I like your gearmotor concept. No noisy compressor and smoother action. There was a guy in Germany, I believe, who had one on YouTube. It was slick, but pricy.

rbwillnj
08-03-2017, 08:27 AM
I have a Bullet Master Mk III. Never used it, it needs work. So much to do, so little time.

castalott
08-03-2017, 11:13 AM
I have a homebuilt caster that uses 1 four cavity Lyman mold. Uses electric timers to run air solenoids that run air cylinders. Why yes, it does run very smooth. Almost 3 cycles a minute with a good mold...

Nick Quick
08-11-2017, 12:23 PM
I do have a MC with an air automation and it works well. Out of typically human greed I start not to be satisfied 100% anymore as I want to make the automation run a bit better. And what I mean by that is I would like to make the mold carried run just half, stop underneath the fan to let it cool and then complete the carrier movement to open the sprue plate and knock the bullets out of the mold. It will be quite a challenge but what the heck, at least I'll have something to study while I'm on the road trucking.

RichBaxter
08-11-2017, 05:17 PM
I have a stock MasterCaster.

SSGOldfart
08-14-2017, 11:51 PM
I have a Master Caster that I modified to pneumatic operation by joystick.

I'll like to see pictures of that one.
I'm now in the master caster ranks, just waiting on UPS at this point.
Someday I'll automate it,or just upgraded but my package comes with 17 molds which covers most of the calibers I need to cast for.

wlkjr
08-15-2017, 03:09 PM
I'll like to see pictures of that one.
I'm now in the master caster ranks, just waiting on UPS at this point.
Someday I'll automate it,or just upgraded but my package comes with 17 molds which covers most of the calibers I need to cast for.

I'll try to get you some in the next couple of days.

angus6
08-16-2017, 02:06 PM
I have the Magma Bullet Master Mark 5

SSGOldfart
08-17-2017, 11:04 PM
I'll try to get you some in the next couple of days.

Thank-you Sir.:castmine:

wlkjr
08-18-2017, 08:23 PM
I made some pics with my wifes camera but apparently they are too big. Castboolits won't let me download them. I'll have to make some with my phone camera.

wlkjr
08-19-2017, 10:57 AM
Here are some pics of the controller, lead drop lever, and the rear of the air cylinder, and where the cylinder attaches to the sides of the MC frame.
Sorry, I can't figure out how to rotate the pics.

Tazza
08-19-2017, 08:21 PM
Looks good. Easy to fully automate it at a later date if you decide to

SSGOldfart
08-20-2017, 12:30 AM
Wlkjr Thanks again, I think the joystick design looks like a good option for me with just one hand what's my chances of getting you to work up instructions including parts numbers??

wlkjr
08-20-2017, 02:33 PM
Wlkjr Thanks again, I think the joystick design looks like a good option for me with just one hand what's my chances of getting you to work up instructions including parts numbers??

Bob, I sent you a PM with some information. Hope it helps.

andre3k
11-03-2017, 10:55 PM
MK VIII Bullet Master

lmfd20
11-04-2017, 05:44 PM
I do have a MC with an air automation and it works well. Out of typically human greed I start not to be satisfied 100% anymore as I want to make the automation run a bit better. And what I mean by that is I would like to make the mold carried run just half, stop underneath the fan to let it cool and then complete the carrier movement to open the sprue plate and knock the bullets out of the mold. It will be quite a challenge but what the heck, at least I'll have something to study while I'm on the road trucking.

This would be fairly easy. Get a tandem air cylinder with different strokes. Add a relay and air solenoid to your current automation and an extra step in the programming with a delay firing the longer of the tandem cylinders.

Nick Quick
11-04-2017, 11:05 PM
That's what I was trying to find on their website. This winter when I'll stay home I will start digging. I think that holding the mold carrier under the fan for two seconds would shorten the total time of the whole cycle and also it would avoid possible situations when the mold gets to hot and the bullets won't be cooled enough to open the mold.

LAH
11-11-2017, 08:31 PM
Auto machine, a Ballisti Cast & Magma. Semi Auto: Magma Master Caster.

Hootmix
11-14-2017, 05:05 PM
Mine's a Ballisti Mark 2,,i think ,could some esplain the difference between the Mark ii & the Mark iv. In the process of trying to put some of the wire's back in the main panel ,,photo's ,,drawing's anything would be a big help.

CGT80
12-15-2017, 02:45 PM
I just joined the club by building my own copy of the master caster, but with a 100 pound pot and 2500 watt element. It has the Hatch PID setup and is run by air cylinders.

Nick Quick
12-15-2017, 03:21 PM
CGT80, any pictures would be really appreciated. We all love to see ingenuity and craftsmanship.

Hootmix
12-15-2017, 03:30 PM
Hey nh7792,,,i just got a 1995 ( best I can tell) mark II,,would there be a chance we could visit via E-mail ,,have some question's ?? I'm in OKLA.

"coffee's ready",,,,Hotmix.

CGT80
12-17-2017, 04:34 AM
CGT80, any pictures would be really appreciated. We all love to see ingenuity and craftsmanship.

Post 68 and 80 of my thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?323841-DIY-100-pound-pot-master-caster/page4

68 has a link to my google drive with photos, and 80 has the automated videos. If you want to read more about how it was built, start with post 1. Thanks to photobucket, the pics are gone from the individual posts.

HATCH
12-17-2017, 08:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNymkXBbVPs

nh7792
12-17-2017, 01:11 PM
Sure. And I think I may have a PDF of the old Mark-2 manual. It's the old 4 mold version.

Hootmix
12-17-2017, 02:14 PM
Hey nh7792,,mine is a 4 mould unit.

"coffee's ready",,,,Hootmix.

CGT80
12-19-2017, 01:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNymkXBbVPs

Thanks, I didn't think to just post the video, as he asked for pics, but a video is worth a thousand pictures.

NoZombies
12-19-2017, 03:24 AM
Actually, I've got an automated casting machine... though I need to do a fair bit of work to get it running again. It's a "Compucaster Mk1". It's a neat machine that never made it past prototype stages. So many projects...

LAH
12-19-2017, 07:21 PM
Actually, I've got an automated casting machine... though I need to do a fair bit of work to get it running again. It's a "Compucaster Mk1". It's a neat machine that never made it past prototype stages. So many projects...

Picture would be nice.

oldsman
12-20-2017, 05:13 AM
I am in the process of installing a HATCH system on my master caster

Chilmonty
12-23-2017, 10:15 PM
I Have a Dillon RL1050 for Each caliber I reload!!!

And then I wake up. :cry:

No_1
12-29-2017, 01:49 PM
I may have missed it earlier in the thread but does anyone have a source (besides Magma) for the mould tappers?

ReloaderFred
12-29-2017, 06:14 PM
If you can get the numbers, or specs off of them, you can probably order them from zoro.com, which is owned by Graingers, but is cheaper. I order my sprue cutter tappers from them for my Mark 6. It was going through quite a few of them for awhile, due to the machine skipping a pour and catching the tapper rod and bending it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

PS: A lot of what Magma sells comes from Graingers, with a lot of it Dayton.

No_1
12-29-2017, 07:24 PM
Does your machine have mould tappers and if so are they the same as the sprue cutter tappers? Also, would you provide the replacement numbers for the tappers you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReloaderFred
12-29-2017, 11:18 PM
The mold tappers on my machine are different than the sprue cutter tapper, and without taking the machine apart, I can't get the numbers for you. The Bullet Masters aren't maintenance friendly, as you know, when it comes to working on the carousel, and I haven't had to replace the mold tappers (yet).

Here's the cylinder I've been using for the sprue cutter tapper: https://www.zoro.com/speedaire-round-air-cylin-1-116inbore-1instroke-5zej6/i/G1990152/

Hope this helps.

Fred

Tazza
12-30-2017, 12:34 AM
For a tapper for the mould halves, can't you just put lumps of weld or something like this to the guide that holds the F shaped parts open? As the Base of the F bit goes over it, this should make the mould shake and drop, or that is what i thought they were meant to do.

Another alternative was to setup a timer on a cylinder to make it hit then release, hit and release every .3 or .5 seconds. My brother set this up on my MC and it works quite well, the cylinders i use were free thankfully, as the multiple impacts make them fail over time from fatigue. If you sweet talk Hatch, he may be able to hook you up with a smart relay to control the on/off time that you can tune to work with your cylinder, make it hit at just the right frequency.

No_1
12-30-2017, 01:52 PM
As some may already know and for those who don't, Hatch is my brother - needless to say we have discussed this at length. When I set my machine up 7 years ago I had a small hydraulic power pack from an old tube notching machine and a box full of timers. A PLC was on my mind but the timers were free so I went that route. I could add a couple more timers to accomplish the double tap or change to a PLC controller such as what he offers to accomplish a double tap but since the action needed to release stuck boolits is horizontal bump I feel the double tap method is just a band aid for the problem. That being said I believe I can fix something up quite easily with 2 or 3 inexpensive cylinders and a proximity switch for about $75 that will do what needs to be done. I was hopeful I would find a couple hydraulic cylinders but it appears it will they will be pneumatic. This might be the time to implement an update to pneumatics for the whole works. For those interested in my original build minus the pictures (thanks photobucket) please click --> HERE <-- (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?89909-It-Is-ALIVE!-Automated-Master-Caster)

Tazza
12-31-2017, 01:28 AM
I did know Hatch was your brother, hense the idea to hit him up for some timers, yet it seems you have some sources of them too :)
Do you think you could get a hydraulic cylinder to cycle fast enough to operate as a tapper? As it is already hydraulic, i understand why you really don't want to add another energy source to it. I was most impressed with your setup when i was starting my MC automation build, i like the fact you used bits and pieces you had laying around. Mine was a very cheap build, i had quite a few parts, and what i didn't, i got off a friend of my dads that has loads of surplus parts that he just gave to me.

No_1
12-31-2017, 11:57 AM
I have been searching for electric tappers without luck. Since I already have 120V available at the main control panel the addition of an compact air compressor such as this inexpensive --> 3 gallon unit <-- (https://www.harborfreight.com/3-gal-13-hp-100-psi-oilless-hotdog-air-compressor-69269.html) to power the air tappers would work as long as they do not require more than .5 CFM. For the initial set-up I will plug into my shop compressor until I figure out the air flow requirements.

andre3k
12-31-2017, 04:51 PM
I have a Magma Mk8 that i use about 3 -4 times a year. Honestly, I need to sell it but casting 10k bullets in one session is pretty nice.

Tazza
12-31-2017, 07:29 PM
I did try 12v tappers, but they just didn't work for me, not enough power, 120v may have a bit more to them, but again, hard to find something for this purpose. I'd think .5cfm is more than enough for small tapping cylinders, they don't need to move far, and only need to strike a few times per cycle of your machine.

I'd love to be able to sit back and cast 10k in a short sitting too, maybe one day if i get my project finished, or win the lotto and buy a mark x :)

No_1
12-31-2017, 07:48 PM
I’d love to get 10k from a short sitting also however, with the occasional stuck Boolit slowing things down I am limited to anywhere from 400 - 700 per hour depending on conditions such as Boolit weight and outside temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No_1
01-07-2018, 06:22 PM
Update: I ordered a couple cheap cylinders as well as an air valve from e-bay then fabricated some air adapters and a couple of brackets. I already had the timer and old semi-truck air lines/fittings. This ---> this video <--- (https://youtu.be/u_AbwI6ZjJ0) is proof of concept. I ran the tappers at 3 different speeds during the video which is why you see the varied tapper speed. The assembly appears to work pretty well considering.

At this point I need to refine everything by purchasing a new limit switch to replace the $5 tapper start switch, mount the timer, mount the air valve, and mount the air pressure regulator. I also need a small compressor such as ---> this one <--- (https://www.harborfreight.com/1-3-hp-3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-air-compressor-97080.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMzUxMTY1NjIiLCJza3Ui OiI5NzA4MCIsImlzIjoiMzkuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0A IjoiMzY2NSJ9%0D%0A) which happens to be on sale at harbor freight for $39 to power the thing.

Grmps
01-07-2018, 06:49 PM
That looks like a cool setup. I don't own an automated press and I'm not claiming to be any kind of expert, I would be concerned that tapping on the mole & sprue plate could cause damage/failure to the connecting bolts or sprue plate.

No_1
01-07-2018, 08:22 PM
The setup in the video is patterned after the multi-mould production machines which share moulds with this machine. I have no worries with the ability of this machine to withstand the tapping from this setup.

Tazza
01-09-2018, 06:14 AM
I have mine tapping the mould from the bottom, it hits the bottom allen screws on the mold halves.

SpadeAce
01-09-2018, 03:24 PM
I Have a Dillon RL1050 for Each caliber I reload!!!

And then I wake up. :cry:

LOL Chilmonty!

Mr. Woodchuck
01-10-2018, 09:59 AM
Just wanted to pipe in on your comment about the Harbor Freight compressor. I have one, it works but it runs almost constantly when in use and is VERY LOUD. You might not be too happy with the noise level. Good Luck

Messy bear
01-13-2018, 10:11 AM
I have an old ballisticast mark 2 I believe. Bought a pile of parts and put one together out of that. Its quite old. I set it up to run 1 to 4 molds. Usually use 2. Its temperamental and frustrating at times but when u see the pile of eggs under it it makes it worthwhile. Sure brings the ingot pile down.

nh7792
03-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Ballisti-cast Mark-II autocaster (6 mold setup) NV-Ballistics Speedcaster 42, and soon a brand new Magma Mark-8 bullet master.
Were you debating on an automated machine?

Ausglock
03-01-2018, 10:41 PM
Ballisti-cast Mark-II autocaster (6 mold setup) NV-Ballistics Speedcaster 42, and soon a brand new Magma Mark-8 bullet master.
Were you debating on an automated machine?

Looks identical to mine.

Hootmix
03-02-2018, 08:51 PM
Hey Aus.. my MK II looks similar but has 4 mould set-up,,i can set it to run any number of moulds I want to use..1-2-3-or all 4 . Most of the time if I just want 50-100 of a certain size I block off the flow between preheat and pour set the pour side at 500-550 and the preheat side at 685-735 deg. and dip w/ ladle especially w/ single cav. mould as Ausglock knows these are strong & versatile machs. whats not to like the best of both . Have mine on rollers push it over till I need it " it don't eat nut'n and don't mess in the floor ".

coffee's ready,,,,Hootmix.

izthebye
09-05-2019, 06:03 PM
I have a Master Caster with a home made PID temp controller. Currently automating it with the help of all the fine posts on this board and some generous advice from Hatch. It is air-powered and will be controlled by a box of obsolete timing relays I found laying around. I do see a Raspberry Pi or Arduino in my future........!

Tazza
09-06-2019, 05:53 AM
I have a Master Caster with a home made PID temp controller. Currently automating it with the help of all the fine posts on this board and some generous advice from Hatch. It is air-powered and will be controlled by a box of obsolete timing relays I found laying around. I do see a Raspberry Pi or Arduino in my future........!

Awesome, please do share when it's all up and running, i love seeing how people develop their machines. Mine runs an arduino, it does glitch due to not being an industrial computer, but for the price, i'll live with it.